Crimes in Silesia in years 1919 - 1921

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Crimes in Silesia in years 1919 - 1921

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 14 Apr 2009, 13:55

[Split from the German irregural formations in Poland 1939 thread]

Nicole S. wrote:That Volksdeutsche established a Kind of Selbstschutz after they had experienced how the got treated by polish army and militia is another topic.
Selbschutz was created during the Communist revolution in Germany in 1918. So the beginning of Selbschutz has absolutely nothing to do with any Polish army or "militia" - it is connected with Communism. Please remember that Selbschutz also existed for example in Czechoslovakia - and there its existence also did not have any connections with Polish army or "militia". :wink:

But Selbschutz is responsible for many war crimes commited against ethnic Poles in Silesia during the 3rd Silesian Uprising in 1921.
Nicole S. wrote: Especially in Silesia the germans for sure remembered the behaviour of the poles when they tried to annex whole Oberschlesien after WW1.
Or maybe rather they remembered their own behaviour - and were afraid of being punished for their crimes in Silesia in years 1919 - 1921 - like for example murdering inhabitants of Polish village Strzebniow in 1921?

Btw - I have never heard about any "bad behaviour" of Poles in Silesia in years 1919 - 1921 (I have read only about German crimes commited there) apart from several posts on this forum and one Nazi propaganda source published in 1940. Do you know any not Nazi sources which say about this, so I could read something about it?

Best regards!
Peter
There are words which carry the presage of defeat. Defence is such a word. What is the result of an even victorious defence? The next attempt of imposing it to that weaker, defender. The attacker, despite temporary setback, feels the master of situation.

michael mills

Re: Crimes in Silesia in years 1919 - 1921

Post by michael mills » 15 Apr 2009, 01:47

So, Peter, you never heard about any "bad behaviour" by Poles in Silesia in the years 1919-1921.

Try reading this book:

"National Identity and Weimar Germany : Upper Silesia and the Eastern Border, 1918-1922", by T. Hunt Tooley
Published Lincoln : University of Nebraska Press, c1997

I doubt that the University of Nebraska Press is a Nazi outfit.

Tooley gives examples of anti-German violence by Polish "insurgents" in Upper Silesia, condoned by the French occupation forces. These included large-scale kidnappings of German civilians and hostage-taking.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”