Robert Brasillach

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
von thoma

Robert Brasillach

Post by von thoma » 08 Jun 2011, 09:43

When years ago I read about Robert Brasillach,I was always impressed his death sentence and execution,I would like to know what such serious charges had, for to be shot this French writer.
Brasillach03.jpg
Brasillach03.jpg (4.54 KiB) Viewed 825 times
Robert Brasillach.

Photo:http://delasfalto.blogspot.com/2008/06/ ... -vida.html
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Rob - wssob2

Re: Robert Brasillach

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 12 Jun 2011, 02:29

I'd recommend reading Alice Kaplan's book "The Collaborator" (see http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/424146.html)

Brasillach was a pretty nasty dude, eagerly endorsing both Nazi collaboration and its attendant genocide against French jews.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 12 Jun 2011, 09:56

Rob - wssob2 wrote: Brasillach was a pretty nasty dude

He don't give that impression.....

Thanks for the Link.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Vikki
Forum Staff

Post by Vikki » 12 Jun 2011, 21:13

Rob - wssob2 wrote:I'd recommend reading Alice Kaplan's book "The Collaborator" (see http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/424146.html)

Brasillach was a pretty nasty dude, eagerly endorsing both Nazi collaboration and its attendant genocide against French jews.
Kaplan's book is a fascinating account of Brasillach's life and career both before and during the German occupation, his trial, and the debate, both at the time and later, of whether he was indeed guilty of treason (the crime for which he was actually executed by the French). His case also raises the larger question of whether a writer can/should be held accountable for actions which may be incited by his works in the same way as one who commits a crime directly. Perhaps the most damning instance of this in Brasillach's case is that during his tenure as editor of Je Suis Partout, Jews and résistants in disguise or hiding were denounced by name and address in the newspaper and therefore brought to the attention of the French and German authorities.

~Vikki

PFLB

Post by PFLB » 13 Jun 2011, 16:27

After World War II many people who denounced others or otherwise provided information to the Gestapo and like organisations were convicted of war crimes. That such a person facilitates the offence so as to become an accomplice isn't really a matter of contention - it's no different to giving a gun to a murderer.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”