Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Field Marshall Erich von Manstein- Jew

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed.
Hosted by David Thompson.

Postby H. Hoth on 05 Apr 2012 00:32

He was a Prussian guards officer who was admired as the most brilliant strategist of the entire second world war, who admitted in private to being partly Jewish. He issued an order shortly after taking command of the 11th Army.
He declared: "The jewish-bolshevik system must be rooted out once and for all". Harsh measures were condoned.

Max
H. Hoth
Financial supporter
United States

Re: Field Marshall Erich von Manstein- Jew

Postby Laurence Strong on 05 Apr 2012 01:17

It appears that he was not the originator of the order, but he was guilty of co-signing and passing it on.

You also seem to have conveniently forgotten to add his addendum which stated: "severe steps will be taken against arbitrary action and self-interest, against savagery and indiscipline, against any violation of the honor of the soldier." I guess it would not lend credence to your somewhat inflammatory opening post........

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... stein.html

What is your source of his "part Jewish" comment, as I can't seem to find it anywhere?
Laurence Strong
Financial supporter
Canada

Postby H. Hoth on 05 Apr 2012 03:37

I never said he originated the order. He was an aristocrat with a huge ego but those under his command loved him. In his book, "Lost Victories" he very seldom admits to being wrong, and can't accept blame for defeats or being subjected to the will of Hitler, which he was.
Those words about "severe steps" being taken against savagery and indiscipline committed by the ordinary German soldier were just that, words. They all took an oath to Hitler, including Prussian aristocrats.
Why is my post "inflammatory"? My source for the ridiculous "inflammatory'' statement is from "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor. A few months into the invasion of the Soviet Union, 'The generals followed Hitler in these circumstances', Field Marshall Paulus acknowledged many years later in Soviet captivity, 'and as a result they became completely involved in the consequences of his policies and conduct of the war.' I'm sure that also includes von Manstein!
H. Hoth
Financial supporter
United States

Postby michael mills on 05 Apr 2012 05:55

What exactly is the point being made?

His original name was Lewinski, which indicates Polish origin at some point in th dim distant past. Not at all surprising for an aristocratic Prussian family, given the degree of mingling with the Polish szlachta over the centuries.
michael mills
Banned
Australia

Postby H. Hoth on 05 Apr 2012 10:44

Hi Michael,
Firstly, let me make it clear that I don't mean any disrespect to anyone on this board.
My intent was simply to get a discussion going that could possible generate some interest and opinions from people and lead, like a thread, to something different.

Max
H. Hoth
Financial supporter
United States

Postby Laurence Strong on 05 Apr 2012 13:46

Your title by itself is inflammatory

He was a Prussian guards officer who was admired as the most brilliant strategist of the entire second world war, who admitted in private to being partly Jewish. He issued an order shortly after taking command of the 11th Army.

"He issued" would indicate that he was the originator.
In response to your second post Anthony Beevor and other authors allege that he was Jewish. No proof is issued as to when or where or to whom these statements were made.
Beside which Manstein himself makes no mention of it in his autobiography "Soldatenleben" which covers the earlier years. Manstein does not "boast a Jewish grandfather" named Lewinski, but instead gives an explanation which is not completely implausible for how the family of his real father adopted the name von Lewinski quite a bit earlier, although this theoretically might be a cover-up of the truth, which then would be the opposite of “boasting it”.

Until somebody actually produces concrete information (let alone evidence) that this or that person in Manstein´s family tree had a Jewish mother or father without some modest kind of proof, this continues to be nothing but a fancy rumour.
Would it not have been logical for someone convicted in a British court for having handed over Jews to an Einsatzkommando (or at least not sheltered them which was one of the 2 charges he was found guilty of) to at least greatly stress his alleged Jewish ancestry in the 1950s to point out that such charges were obtuse? Then why didn’t he really?
The official name of Erich von Manstein´s descendants is to this day "von Lewinski, genannt von Manstein".

He declared: "The Jewish Bolshevik system must be rooted out once and for all". Harsh measures were condoned.

You cherry picked an issue using the most inflammatory part and leaving the remainder out, which would have put a totally different context to the statement, very much like today’s MSM!

My intent was simply to get a discussion going that could possible generate some interest and opinions from people and lead, like a thread, to something different.

Personally I think you are trolling, again very much like your other threads recently started.

Undocumented claims undercut the research purposes of this section of the forum. Consequently, it is required that proof be posted along with a claim. The main reason is that proof, evidence, facts, etc. improve the quality of discussions and information. A second reason is that inflammatory, groundless posts and threads attack, and do not promote, the scholarly purpose of this section of the forum. For more on this subject, see the announcement at viewtopic.php?p=990676#990676

Familiarize yourself with the forum rules

This is my final say on this subject; I would not be surprised if this does not get locked down in short order.

later
Larry
Laurence Strong
Financial supporter
Canada

Postby Marcus Wendel on 05 Apr 2012 15:51

A post by waldzee where he attempted to act as a moderator was removed, leave the moderating to the members of the forum staff. If you feel a post needs moderator attention please use the "!" button in the top right corner to report it instead of trying to police threads on your own.

/Marcus
Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff
Sweden

Postby Marcus Wendel on 05 Apr 2012 15:53

If we do not start seeing facts instead of opinions in this thread it will very soon be locked.

/Marcus
Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff
Sweden

Postby H. Hoth on 06 Apr 2012 03:14

Gee Larry I guess you are a bit upset with my post, finding fault with everything. I hope you didn't stay up too late figuring out how to oppose my writing. See the interest this is generating? I'm glad you're reading my other posts; will you be my personal moderator? von Manstein was a integral part of a viscous killing machine, no doubt about it and that is a fact. Facts quoted from a famous and highly regarded book are groundless and inflammatory? I didn't make up anything so get over it.

Max
H. Hoth
Financial supporter
United States

Postby David Thompson on 06 Apr 2012 03:57

Facts with sources are what our readers come here to see, gentlemen. This is a research section of the forum, not a bulletin board, and the subject matter is war crimes. If you have some documentary evidence for us to see, step right up. If you don't, step right down.
David Thompson
Forum Staff
United States

Postby little grey rabbit on 06 Apr 2012 04:24

I have on page 10 of Mungo Melvin's biography:
"Following the example of his forefathers, Manstein carried the memento throughout his career. His natural father [Eduard Julius Ludwig von] Lewinski served on the Prussian staff in the wars of 1864, 1866 and 1870-1871, retiring as a general of artillery in 1895."

Doesn't mean he wasn't Jewish - although it seems improbable. I wonder what Anthony Beever based his claim on - aside from Monica Lewinski.
Last edited by little grey rabbit on 06 Apr 2012 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
little grey rabbit
Australia

Postby little grey rabbit on 06 Apr 2012 04:24

duplicate
Last edited by little grey rabbit on 06 Apr 2012 04:50, edited 1 time in total.
little grey rabbit
Australia

Postby ChristopherPerrien on 06 Apr 2012 04:43

Max Hansen wrote:Hi Michael,
Firstly, let me make it clear that I don't mean any disrespect to anyone on this board.

Max

You really need to check Beevor's statements/ footnotes and /or find some better info on Manstein being "Jewish"? I don't think a FM in the German Army of WWII would even mention this in private or joke about it, given the proclivities/pre-disposition of the Nazi State toward even part Jewish people. And I don't think Himmler or the SS would have let this slide , even if it had surfaced as a rumor.

Manstein's family history is well known, and he also lived many years after the war, I know of know mention at all about this in any histories or anything he said post-war. I would go check Beevor again about this statement.
if you don't like ACDC, you are on the other side.
ChristopherPerrien
United States

Postby H. Hoth on 06 Apr 2012 11:01

Ok Fellas, I give and I promise to be more careful in future posts. But it did cause some excitement! Sorry.

Max
H. Hoth
Financial supporter
United States

Postby waldzee on 10 Apr 2012 02:06

Laurence Strong wrote:It appears that he was not the originator of the order, but he was guilty of co-signing and passing it on.

You also seem to have conveniently forgotten to add his addendum which stated: "severe steps will be taken against arbitrary action and self-interest, against savagery and indiscipline, against any violation of the honor of the soldier." I guess it would not lend credence to your somewhat inflammatory opening post........

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... stein.html

What is your source of his "part Jewish" comment, as I can't seem to find it anywhere?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.amazon.ca/Bloodlands-Europe- ... 0465002390
After August 1941 the Whermarch was compelled to 'live off the land' in occupied Soviet territory. MaNSTEIN IS DEMOTED FORM 'GREAT' TO GOOD , as he turned a blind eye to the civilian costs.
waldzee
Banned
Canada

Return to Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes