Commando Order

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Possum_Girl

Commando Order

Post by Possum_Girl » 10 Jul 2013, 07:24

I have a few questions about orders, specifically the Commando Order. I have seen this on Wikipedia but am not sure I understand:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commando_Order

3. I order, therefore:— From now on all men operating against German troops in so-called Commando raids in Europe or in Africa, are to be annihilated to the last man. This is to be carried out whether they be soldiers in uniform, or saboteurs, with or without arms; and whether fighting or seeking to escape; and it is equally immaterial whether they come into action from Ships and Aircraft, or whether they land by parachute. Even if these individuals on discovery make obvious their intention of giving themselves up as prisoners, no pardon is on any account to be given. On this matter a report is to be made on each case to Headquarters for the information of Higher Command.

4. Should individual members of these Commandos, such as agents, saboteurs etc., fall into the hands of the Armed Forces through any means – as, for example, through the Police in one of the Occupied Territories – they are to be instantly handed over to the SD
To hold them in military custody – for example in P.O.W. Camps, etc., – even if only as a temporary measure, is strictly forbidden.

5. This order does not apply to the treatment of those enemy soldiers who are taken prisoner or give themselves up in open battle, in the course of normal operations, large scale attacks; or in major assault landings or airborne operations. Neither does it apply to those who fall into our hands after a sea fight, nor to those enemy soldiers who, after air battle, seek to save their lives by parachute.

6. I will hold all Commanders and Officers responsible under Military Law for any omission to carry out this order, whether by failure in their duty to instruct their units accordingly, or if they themselves act contrary to it.

Doesn't point 3 override point 5 in that it states that all soldiers are to annihilated?

What would happen if a high ranking general had some morals and refused to carry out Hitlers orders? Would he have been killed? What if he decided to retire or quit? Would he be allowed to do that?

I can see Hitler surrounded himself with yes men (i.e. Keitel) but what would the repercussions be for someone who thought that an order of Hitler's was wrong?

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Re: Commando Order

Post by David Thompson » 12 Jul 2013, 03:23

Possum Girl -- You asked (1)
Doesn't point 3 override point 5 in that it states that all soldiers are to annihilated?
Paragraph 3 applies to a specific category of combatants:
all men operating against German troops in so-called Commando raids in Europe or in Africa
Paragraph 5 applies to a different and larger group:
This order does not apply to the treatment of those enemy soldiers who are taken prisoner or give themselves up in open battle, in the course of normal operations, large scale attacks; or in major assault landings or airborne operations.
(2)
What would happen if a high ranking general had some morals and refused to carry out Hitlers orders? Would he have been killed?

See the testimony of Field Marshals von Rundstedt and Kesselring, as well as Colonel-General (Generaloberst) Jodl at the Nuernberg IMT trial. All claim to have quietly resisted the commando order:

v. Rundstedt testimony at IMT proceedings vol. 21, pp. 22-27; 44-5
Kesselring testimony at IMT proceedings vol. 9, pp. 209-11
Jodl testimony at IMT proceedings vol. 15, pp. 320-29

Field Marshal Rommel is also said to have refused to pass on the order to his subordinate officers.

(3)
What if he decided to retire or quit? Would he be allowed to do that?
A number of commanders were relieved from duty by Hitler during the course of the war, for various reasons.

(4)
I can see Hitler surrounded himself with yes men (i.e. Keitel) but what would the repercussions be for someone who thought that an order of Hitler's was wrong?
That would depend on how noisy and public they were in expressing their opposition, and whether they joined one of the assassination plots or resistance groups.

Possum_Girl

Post by Possum_Girl » 12 Jul 2013, 06:25

Thanks for the reply. I am reading some Nuremberg Trial books which are really good. It said in one of them that Keitel had wanted to retire but Hitler would'nt let him.

I also read about Kesselring:

MR. JUSTICE JACKSON: You testified today, and another witness has testified here, that if an order of Adolf Hitler was resisted, it meant death. You are also testifying that an absolute order to execute Commandos, under threat of punishment if you failed, left you discretion to do it or not, and I want you once and for all to tell the Tribunal which is the fact, and then we will leave that subject.

To me they talk about everything in such a round about way it is hard to follow. But that's probably just me.

uberjude

Post by uberjude » 12 Jul 2013, 14:45

There were a number of generals (Schorner, Manstein, I think Model) who conducted retreats either without Hitler's permission, or sometimes against his express orders, and were not punished. I think it goes to what David was saying regarding their loyalties and their reasons. Hitler might not like a general withdrawing against his wishes, but if he saw the general as loyal--and especially if in retrospect, he could see the general was right--there wouldn't necessarily have been any repercussions.

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 13 Jul 2013, 00:58

I believe point 5 is meant to override point 3 and not the other way around, providing exceptions to the rule.

There are plenty of examples of commandos/raiders/soldiers working behind enemy lines and the like being executed in accordance with this order, many of which can be easily found on Wikipedia and some googling.

There are also, however, some exceptions. Rommel, for instance, does not appear to have followed the order in Africa or the Atlantic coast, instead sending captured raiders into more or less regular captivity. Examples: Major David Stirling, commanding officer of the SAS, captured in 1943 while on a desert raid and the two captured members of Operation Tarbrush 10 in 1944. In the latter case, he spoke to them personally before sending them into captivity.

There's also "Mad" Jack Churchill and his those of his men not killed before being captured. This was during a joint Commando/Yugoslav partisan raid on the island Brac in 1944. In this case it was a Hauptman (Captain) saving them from the order, meaning it was possible even for lower officers to get away with it.

I don't think it's fair to count those who survived the war only due to the opportunism of Nazi war criminals hoping to lessen their punishment, for instance members of the American OSS groups Dillon and Tacoma.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”