Lost Jewish girl from a ghetto in Kutno

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Davey Boy

Lost Jewish girl from a ghetto in Kutno

Post by Davey Boy » 19 Oct 2013, 15:07

Let's start a thread about what might have happened to this Jewish girl from a ghetto in Kutno.

http://wyborcza.pl/duzy_kadr/5,97904,14 ... i.html?i=6

Treblinka? Sobibor?

Davey Boy

Re: Lost Jewish girl from a ghetto in Kutno

Post by Davey Boy » 19 Oct 2013, 15:47

Okay, I found another pic. She looks more serious in this one.

http://willigula.tumblr.com/post/402936 ... ugo-jaeger

Now, I was obviously being a bit mischievous when I posted about this girl in the other thread, but in all seriousness, as a Jewess from Kutno, what might have happened to this woman?

wm

Post by wm » 19 Oct 2013, 16:20

Davey Boy wrote:Treblinka? Sobibor?
Kulmhof an der Nehr, and because the ghetto was denied any kind of fuel during winters many of the Jews didn't survived long there.

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 19 Oct 2013, 16:56

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 19 Oct 2013, 19:32

According the Wikipedia, all Jews of Kutno were murdered in the Chelmo extermination camp:
On 19 March 1942 the ghetto was closed. All Jews, in alphabetical order, were transported to Kolo and then to Chelmo extermination camp. Six thousand Jewish inhabitants of Kutno were killed there while elder people who had been ghetto administrators were killed in Kutno town
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kutno#World_War_II

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 19 Oct 2013, 19:51

Some more information about Kutno and about the Nazi photographer, Hugo Jaeger:
http://life.time.com/history/world-war- ... 39-1940/#1

More about Kutno and another set of photos from one of the German guards:
http://www.yadvashem.org/yv/en/exhibiti ... ons/kutno/

Penn44

I once was told that I was vain, but I knew that vanity was a fault, so I gave it up because I have no faults.

wm

Post by wm » 19 Oct 2013, 23:02

The ghetto in 1941 and today:
kutno ghetto 1941.jpg
kutno.jpg
a part of the ghetto:
mickiewicza 194x.jpg
mickiewicza.jpg
sources: wirtualny sztetl, fotopolska, Google Maps

wm

Post by wm » 21 Oct 2013, 00:12

It seems two different photos of that girl survived:

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 23 Oct 2013, 13:17

Lost Jewish Girl (LJG) is a very attractive woman. She reminds me of someone I once knew. I may very well idolize LJG for the next 88 plus pages.

LJG is not a threat to anyone. It is a profound shame that the Germans found it necessary in their opinion to invade her country in order to murder her in the back of a gas van.

In their study of battles, uniforms, tanks, aircraft, re-enacting, model making, etc., it is a shame that so many people fail to see what the Third Reich and WWII was really all about. Some people cannot see the forest for the trees. These two photos of LJG bring it all home just how rotten the Third Reich was.

Penn44

Davey Boy

Post by Davey Boy » 23 Oct 2013, 14:44

Yeah, I reckon she's better looking than LGG.

Penn44
Banned

Post by Penn44 » 24 Oct 2013, 03:06

Davey Boy wrote:Yeah, I reckon she's better looking than LGG.
I concur.

Penn44

wm

Post by wm » 24 Oct 2013, 11:45

The winter of 1941-1942 in Kutno:
zima.jpg
zima.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 5740 times
from the photo album of SS-Obersturmbannführer Kurt Schmidt, responsible for security in Kutno and its region.

He took part in the deportations of the Jews to the ghetto in Kutno, thoroughly photo-documenting his efforts, many of the photos used by the web sites interested in the ghetto in Kutno are his.

His album was used in the 1963 documentary film Powszedni dzień gestapowca Schmidta (The Daily Round of Gestapo Officer Schmidt), showing the life in that region during the occupation:

wm

Post by wm » 24 Sep 2014, 18:19

more lost girls from the ghetto in Kutno:
1.jpg
2.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
source: 1, 2, 3.[/size]

wm

Post by wm » 25 Sep 2014, 23:54

The Kutno Ghetto as seen by reporters of Litzmannstädter Zeitung in September 1940. Although it's known the Kutno Judenrat mostly failed in its role, and the wealthy and the local leaders fled for the relative safety of the much "nicer" Warsaw ghetto - it's still just a piece of deceptive, clever propaganda:
The mayor introduced us to the Police Chief, Lieutenant Weißenborn, who invited us to visit the ghetto. We soon arrived at the gates of a half-dilapidated factory, which had not been entirely spared from the battles for Kutno. It was raining.

The factory site is a total mud bath. Even just entering the ghetto showed that the mayor was really not exaggerating when he referred to an unbelievably dirty rabble. We are used to all kinds of filth from the Litzmannstadt ghetto, but what we saw here surpassed everything we had previously encountered.

'Imagine if this was a German prisoner of war camp! In 14 days the place would be clean and orderly. But since they moved here in April, the Jews have not lifted a finger to make their living conditions in some way fit for human beings. On the contrary, the filth has increased significantly', explained Lieutenant Weißenborn.

In the yard we saw stalls made out of dilapidated fireplaces trading the most extraordinary things: food, half shoe soles, rusty nails and other such items. A community kitchen had also been set up so that the poor would not starve – but not on the initiative of the wealthier Jews! We cast a look inside. It stank of burnt onions. 'Pea soup' was apparently available. We wished them bon appétit!

Then we entered the factory. Seven and a half thousand Jews live here. As the Lieutenant said, this is not a camp where order prevails, but a pile of dirty cave dwellings. The Jews seem to feel at home here.

Some of them approached the Lieutenant and asked him for permission to go into town. Each of them had a different request. Permission was only granted in a few warranted cases.

"There are various jobs which are really suited to the Jews', said the Police Chief, 'and as long as there is good leadership we let them work relatively independently at the workplaces concerned. But most of them are lazy and prefer to hang around here.'
We left the place of decay.
source: holocaustresearchproject

These photos below were made more or less at the same time as the story was written:
a.png
b.png
c.png
d.jpg
e.jpg

Peacenik

Post by Peacenik » 23 Jun 2015, 12:44

Haven't seen these pictures before. It's tough to look at all the faces and realise they were doomed, people who had done no harm to anyone.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”