Sobibor Death Camp Escape

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
XavierGreen

Sobibor Death Camp Escape

Post by XavierGreen » 11 Jul 2014, 18:35

I just saw this movie, Escape From Sobibor, which details the revolt and escape of the prisoners from the camp. I was wondering what the number of German guards killed in the actual escape attempt was and if the numbers of guards killed is depicted accurately in the film. I was also wondering if anyone knew of any other movies regarding the major revolts at the camps during the war. there is one with Steve Buschemi in a supporting role that comes to mind but i can't remember the name of it.

If you haven't seen escape from sobibor, id recommend seeing it. From what i've read so far, it is a pretty close depiction of the actual events that happened during the revolt.
You can watch it here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-ZFen63tQ

siwiec

Re: Sobibor Death Camp Escape

Post by siwiec » 12 Jul 2014, 10:46

XavierGreen wrote:I was also wondering if anyone knew of any other movies regarding the major revolts at the camps during the war. there is one with Steve Buschemi in a supporting role that comes to mind but i can't remember the name of it.
Perhaps you mean The Grey Zone, a movie about Auschwitz Sonderkommando?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252480/

wenty

Post by wenty » 13 Jul 2014, 10:31

There's a story called "Escape from Sobibor" by David Fischler, you can see it on Amazon - i've not read it (been meaning to) but I wonder if it might be tied into this somehow.

Cheers,
Adam.

wm

Post by wm » 13 Jul 2014, 21:19

According to Jules Schelvis there were 29 SS-men in total. On that day 17 were present. 12 were killed (and two Volksdeutschers). Including the Ukrainian guards, the total number of killed is estimated at 21-23.

Paul Lantos

Post by Paul Lantos » 14 Jul 2014, 15:45

There is a lot of detailed info about the planning and execution of the revolt in Sobibor, as well as the one in Treblinka, in Yitzhak Arad's book about Operation Reinhard. The movie referenced here is cheesy, underplays the horror of that place, and doesn't put the revolt in enough context. It is watered down drama and not history.

XavierGreen

Post by XavierGreen » 19 Jul 2014, 17:53

Thank you all for the information! The Grey Zone is definately the other movie i saw. It seems like in "Escape From Sobibor" the escaping prisoners kill more guards than actually died at the prison, but i guess that was put in for a more dramatic escape at the end of the film.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”