Help With Identification Needed

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Janssen

Help With Identification Needed

Post by Janssen » 07 Oct 2014, 10:53

I have been reading the Savitri Devi book 'Defiance' and would appreciate some help with an identification.

For those unfamiliar with the book, it's about Savitri Devi's arrest, trial and imprisonment in Germany in 1949. She was sentenced to 3 years in Werl prison for distributing pro-Nazi literature. Werl prison is where the British sent the Concentration Camp guards from Belsen, Ravensbrück and other camps who were tried and found guilty of crimes against humanity.

In order to protect their identities (the book was published in 1951), Savitri Devi refers to them by their initials.

I have already identified the following:

Frau E - Hertha Ehlert, Belsen
Frau B - Hertha Bothe, Belsen
Frau H - either Anna Hempel or Irene Haschke, Belsen
Frau S - Sister Ella Schmidt, Ruehen Baby Farm Case
Frau R - Margarete Rabe, Ravensbrück
Frau von S - Eugenia von Skene, a Kapo at Ravensbrück

I am having trouble identifying a woman with the initials L. M.

Described by Savitri Devi as young and attractive with ash blonde hair and blue eyes. She was in charge of a small Labour Camp of about 500 women, mostly Jewesses, and 3 of them died. She was partly blamed for their deaths and sentenced by the British to 4 years imprisonment.

Any help in identifying her would be much appreciated.

Janssen

Re: Help With Identification Needed

Post by Janssen » 11 Oct 2014, 11:24

In the book "The Camp Women" there are two female camp guards with the initials L. M.

Lieselotte Manfeld, born April 6, 1922, Dortmund.
Served as Aufseherin in Ravensbrück.

Lotte Möller, served as Aufseherin in Ravensbrück; Meuselwitz.

Does anybody have any more information on them, such as the length of their prison sentences?

steve248

Post by steve248 » 12 Oct 2014, 09:37

Neither Manfeld nor Möller were tried before a British Military Court for war crimes; they may have been denazified but that is something different and carried out before German Spruchgerichte and German judges.

There is no woman with a surname beginning L tried before British Military Courts for crimes at Ravensbrück.

There are several whose names begin with M:
Elfriede Mohneke
Margarete Mewes
Elisabeth Marschall
Carmen Mory

Whether any fit the "personal description" I cannot say.

If you think about it, by identifying the women with a single letter said to be their true surname, the author would have problems with two women named as Frau M. But I haven't read the book so can't add anything beyond this.

dylan

Post by dylan » 12 Oct 2014, 14:57

Lieselotte Muller sentence to 4 Years prison 10/6/1946 in Hamburg.
Trial Uk Zone for crimes in Sasel camp ( Neuengamme case).
Maybe this is the woman you are looking for ?
In this camp there seems to have been some 500 prisoners.

Best Dylan.

Janssen

Post by Janssen » 13 Oct 2014, 08:52

dylan wrote:Lieselotte Muller sentence to 4 Years prison 10/6/1946 in Hamburg.
Trial Uk Zone for crimes in Sasel camp ( Neuengamme case).
Maybe this is the woman you are looking for ?
In this camp there seems to have been some 500 prisoners.

Best Dylan.
It sounds like she is the one I am looking for.

The description fits exactly.

Thank you very much for your help.

Janssen

Post by Janssen » 13 Oct 2014, 09:26

steve248 wrote:Neither Manfeld nor Möller were tried before a British Military Court for war crimes; they may have been denazified but that is something different and carried out before German Spruchgerichte and German judges.

There is no woman with a surname beginning L tried before British Military Courts for crimes at Ravensbrück.

There are several whose names begin with M:
Elfriede Mohneke
Margarete Mewes
Elisabeth Marschall
Carmen Mory

Whether any fit the "personal description" I cannot say.

If you think about it, by identifying the women with a single letter said to be their true surname, the author would have problems with two women named as Frau M. But I haven't read the book so can't add anything beyond this.
You are right, there is confusion when just the initial of the surname is given.

There are two women whose surname began with H who served at Belsen.

I cannot say for sure if the woman referred to as Frau H in the book was Anna Hempel or Irene Haschke, it could have been either.

Even so, this book and Savitri Devi's other book "Gold in the Furnace" are the only two books I can think of where those imprisoned give their own version of events.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”