Man claims to have survived Mengele surgery?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
David1819

Man claims to have survived Mengele surgery?

Post by David1819 » 01 Dec 2014, 00:02

This man claims that Mengele removed his kidney in a surgery without any anesthetic, He then claims he saw his own eyes his kidney pulsating in Mengele's hand once removed from his body

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

Ok this sounds a bit farfetched. I know Mengele done awful things but I don't think this is possible. I am no Doctor or pathologist however before Anesthetic was used in medicine the only surgery doctors could perform with patients surviving was amputation of the arms and legs. The procedure would require a belt or strap to be tied round the arm or leg to be removed to prevent blood loss, Without Anesthesia the heart rate and the blood pressure would make blood gush out hence why a belt or strap had to be tied round the arm/leg the cut from below the belt.

Considering this I would say this is not possible. The blood loss would be horrendous considering Mengele would be cutting in the side of the torso plus having to continue performing this surgery with the blood gushing out while trying to locate the kidney and trying the keep the victim still and stationary at the same time.

This is just my theory/speculation. I would be grateful if someone with a bit more knowledge of medicine could give me an opinion on this

Please share your thoughts

history1
Banned

Re: Man claims to have survived Mengele surgery?

Post by history1 » 02 Dec 2014, 13:03

I don´t know this former camp inmate or his story, but there are a few parts I don´t "like".

1. "Then I saw my kidney pulsating in his hand."
A kidney isn´t a heart that it would pulsate so that it´s recognisable. Not in situ nor ex vivo.
Compare: http://youtu.be/ou8CC4XN9wk
Sure the claim pep up the story and that most likely the goal.
2. AFAIK, Mengele did no experiments with cold water contrary to Dr. Sigmund Rascher. Does Mr. Ganon maybe confuse Prof. Ernst Holzlöhner with Mengele?
http://www.yadvashem.org/yv/de/holocaus ... allery.asp

Regards,
history1

PS.: Attended at least about 160 surgeries due to my profession, some of them just minors some lasting about a couple of hours.
The source seems to be of the same standard as "The Sun" or the German "Bild" newspaper.

Skyderick

Post by Skyderick » 03 Dec 2014, 13:42

I don't know this man or how credible he is, but I'd like to point out that the translator did a sloppy job. The original interview with Mr.Ganon was given in Hebrew for Israeli newspaper Maariv (closed in 2013). There Ganon was quoted as saying "I saw the kidney shaking in their hands and I cried like a madman" (see also here: "ראיתי את הכליה רועדת להם בידיים ובכיתי כמו משוגע" http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART1/970/905.html), not 'pulsating'. No native speaker would mistake these two verbs, since they aren't even remotely synonymous. I therefore suspect the translator was either dramatizing the story or simply bad at his trade. Nor did Ganon, in the original article at least, claim he had undergone surgery with no anesthetic, but rather without a general anesthetic (as opposed to another surgery on his abdomen, later on, which the man reportedly woke up to discover). While organ removal can be carried out with just local anesthesia (Dr. Evan O'Neill Kane preformed several appendectomies, including one on himself in 1921, to prove this), this does not account for some other claims he allegedly made.

Skyderick

Post by Skyderick » 17 Dec 2014, 11:48

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 19 Dec 2014, 06:26

A fact-free opinion post by uhu was removed by the moderator -- DT.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”