Other victims of the Euthanasia program

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Peter
Financial supporter

Other victims of the Euthanasia program

Post by Peter » 25 Jun 2015, 17:50

I know that the NSDAP system utilized the T-4 euthanasia program to murder physically and mentally disabled people of all ages but I was unaware that the system was also apparently used to murder other people.

Was Bernburg used as a location to kill other people who did not fit within the Nazi system, at this date I would have expected to see this man sent to Mauthausen or Auschwitz if he was to be executed, as a print shop worker he is surely unlikely to fit the Nazi criteria for T-4 ?

Hans Weigelsperger, Wien
Geboren am 3. Jänner 1894
The print shop worker Hans Weigel Untersperger been detected fingerprinted on 22 6th 1939 by the Gestapo Vienna . He was assassinated on 25 3, 1942 in the euthanasia institution Bernburg
Attachments
Weigelsperger.jpg
Weigelsperger.jpg (27.84 KiB) Viewed 1577 times

steve248

Re: Other victims of the Euthanasia program

Post by steve248 » 26 Jun 2015, 09:59

Peter,

You might look at Sarah Helm's recent book on Ravensbrück, "If this is a woman", in which she discusses the 14f13 program whereby many prisoners, not only from Ravensbrück, were sent to Bernburg from a number of camps for gassing in their gas chamber. This included Jews and non-Jews, fit and unfit prisoners.

Bernburg itself also has a website
http://www.gedenkstaette-bernburg.de/

Steve
Last edited by steve248 on 26 Jun 2015, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 26 Jun 2015, 10:11

thanks Steve, I shall follow up on those leads,
Peter

Incidentally I found another 3 men in the same situation. and 2 notes do make mention of 14f13.
Gustav Halbritter, Wien, geboren am 29. März 1898
Der Portier Gustav Halbritter wurde am 25. 5. 1939 von der Gestapo Wien erkennungsdienstlich erfasst. Er wurde am 23. 3. 1942 in der Euthanasieanstalt Bernburg/Saale ermordet.
HalbritterBernburg.jpg
HalbritterBernburg.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Josef Keinz, Wien, geboren am 9. November 1905
Der Friseurmeister Josef Keinz wurde am 7. 12. 1938 von der Gestapo erkennungsdienstlich erfasst. Er wurde in das KZ Dachau überstellt. Im Zuge der Aktion "14f13" wurde Josef Keinz am 26. 1. 1942 in der Euthanasieanstalt Schloss Hartheim (OÖ) ermordet.
KeinzSHart.jpg
KeinzSHart.jpg (13.42 KiB) Viewed 1495 times
Karl Kristen, Wien, geboren am 17. April 1894
Wegen "Vergehens nach dem Heimtückegesetz" wurde der Rauchfangkehrergehilfe Karl Kristen am 29. 4. 1940 von der Gestapo erkennungsdienstlich erfasst. Er wurde in das KZ Ravensbrück überstellt. Am 25. 3. 1942 wurde Karl Kristen im Zuge der Euthanasie-Aktion "14 f 13" in Bernburg ermordet.
KristenBernb.jpg
KristenBernb.jpg (12.17 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

Patches

Post by Patches » 01 Jul 2015, 11:29

Peter wrote:I know that the NSDAP system utilized the T-4 euthanasia program to murder physically and mentally disabled people of all ages but I was unaware that the system was also apparently used to murder other people.

Was Bernburg used as a location to kill other people who did not fit within the Nazi system, at this date I would have expected to see this man sent to Mauthausen or Auschwitz if he was to be executed, as a print shop worker he is surely unlikely to fit the Nazi criteria for T-4 ?
Such KL inmates sent to euthanasia centers fit a special Action 14f13 criteria that used several T-4 facilities to carry out the murders (even though the victims did not fit T-4 criteria). 14f13 criteria "...culled the sick, elderly and those deemed no longer fit for work from the rest of the prisoners in a selection process, after which they were killed. The Nazi campaign was in operation from 1941–1944 and later covered other groups of concentration camp prisoners, as well." T-4 criteria did not apply to these victims. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_14f13.

This explains the language found on some of the Gestapo records (at http://www.doew.at/) that mention victims being transferred from a KL to a euthanasia center via an "invalid transport" and then murdered (some records mention this while others do not). Even though some of the Gestapo records do not mention Action 14f13, it is still most likely that the transfer to a euthanasia center occurred under the provision of Action 14f13 if the victim was not applicable to T-4.

I thought that T-4 victims were the only ones murdered at the euthanasia centers until I looked more deeply into this topic. And although the Wiki quote above says the program ended in 1944, I believe it continued into 1945.

Patches

Post by Patches » 01 Jul 2015, 19:24

I came across some SS codes which may assist those looking into the victim's records, i.e. for the "official/claimed" cause of death (and sterilization) in a KL:

14 f 1: Natural death.
14 f 2: Suicide or accidental death.
14 f 3: Shot while trying to escape.
14 f I: Execution.
14 f 13: “Special Treatment" (Sonderbehandlung), transfer to a euthanasia center.
14 f 14: The execution of Soviet prisoners of war in concentration camps.
14 h 7: Forced sterilization of prisoners.

There are several sources on these codes, including http://www.holocaustresearchproject.org ... 14f13.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_14f13#cite_ref-3 among others; as there are gaps between some of the number/letter combinations I wonder if any other codes exist? Also note that causes of death were often falsified when the SS claimed death was natural.

toque

Post by toque » 02 Jul 2015, 09:27

I wonder why the men shown above were arrested. 1938-39 is a bit late for political roundups. Persistant criminals perhaps?

At first glance none seem to have the sort of problems that would qualify them for euthanasia, although by the time they are killed in 1942 they had been in jail for 2-3 years and their later physical condition is unknown. The photographs only date from the time of their arrest.

Was there a sudden upswing in these killings around 1942?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 02 Jul 2015, 14:18

toque wrote:I wonder why the men shown above were arrested. 1938-39 is a bit late for political roundups. Persistant criminals perhaps? [...]
Why this wild guessings ?
The "crime" of Kristen is mentioned literally by Peter: "Vergehen nach dem Heimtückegesetz" = Offense according to the insidiousness law.
That was e.g. listen a foreign radio station. Quite a common "crime" in those days....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treachery_Act_of_1934
All datas of this people are from the DOEW - archive:
Gestapo-Opfer (Individuelle Widerständigkeit), Politisch Verfolgte =
Gestapo-victims ( individual resistence), political persecuted [people]

toque

Post by toque » 03 Jul 2015, 11:47

Thank you for the information.

As to 'wild guessing', I regret that I and many others do not speak German, so perhaps a translation would have made things clearer.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”