A Few Questions Pertaining to the March from Auschwitz to Dachau

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Ira S.

A Few Questions Pertaining to the March from Auschwitz to Dachau

Post by Ira S. » 27 Jun 2015, 08:05

I've found some gisty mentions of the march in books and through the USHMM's website - as well as searched threads here - but what I haven't been able to find is the how. I do know that at least the first leg of the retreat required the prisoners to run for hours, and that it was snowing at the time.

But did the officers also have to march the 30something miles to Wodzislaw? Or did they leave early? If the latter was indeed the case, how did they get around the approaching army and how many days ahead of time did they leave? Would medical officers and S.S. involved in non-essential duties evacuate any differently?

And were mules/horses involved on the initial 30-mile march, or were they able to get trucks to go through the snow?

Any information you guys have to offer would be immensely helpful. Thank you!

piotras

Re: A Few Questions Pertaining to the March from Auschwitz to Dachau

Post by piotras » 19 Sep 2016, 13:42

Of corse not. Officers didn't march. Some new info you can read in "Kierunek Loslau" ("The direction of Loslau"), unfortunately in polish only.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”