Polish and Latvian participation in communist terror

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
teg

Polish and Latvian participation in communist terror

Post by teg » 01 Sep 2015, 14:14

First of all I do not make any generalisations and do not blame. But there is is undeniable fact: a huge number of high ranked architects of communist terror were Poles and Latvians. Only few examples:Poles- Dzerzhinsky,Menzhinsky, Kosior (one of organizer of Ukrainian famine from which one of my grandmother s relatives died). Latvians - Peters, Lacis, Eichmans (head of Gulag). In my city Kazan in september 1918 Latvian riflemen executed near 1000. What do modern Poles and Latvians think about the role of their fellows in communist crimes?

wm

Re: Polish and Latvian participation in communist terror

Post by wm » 01 Sep 2015, 15:25

The names (except Dzerzhinsky) are known only to historians. Their opinions are not much different from the opinions of Russian or Ukrainian historians, I suppose. Those Polish communists did nothing for Poland, there weren't any Khrushchevs among them - so they aren't entitled to any mitigating circumstances.
There were plain, brutal or not communists without adjectives.

But a few names is not huge. Poland was small, and wasn't part of the USSR - it couldn't possibly contribute in any meaningful way to the Soviet nomenclature.

teg

Post by teg » 01 Sep 2015, 15:35

I mentioned only the most famous most ill fated and high ranked names. There were other high, medium and minor ranked Poles and Latvians who participated in communist terror. Lots of other can be mentioned.

teg

Post by teg » 01 Sep 2015, 15:36

For example the other high ranked officials responsible for my grandmother relative s death were pole Stanislaw Redens and Latvian Druskis

wm

Post by wm » 01 Sep 2015, 15:59

This page indeed says that Poles, Jews and Latvians were the backbone of Cheka, and lists ten Poles.
So the question is how many Chekists there were in total. Without knowing this ten maybe a large or a small number.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 01 Sep 2015, 23:45

teg -- Your opening post asked:
What do modern Poles and Latvians think about the role of their fellows in communist crimes?
The section rules read:
3. Opinions

Since the purpose of this section of the forum is to exchange information and hold informed discussions about historical problems, posts which express unsolicited opinions without supporting facts and sources do not promote the purposes of the forum. Consequently, such posts are subject to deletion after a warning to the poster.

The same reasoning applies to opinion threads.

The rules also provide:
Posts containing insulting generalizations about nationalities, ethnic groups, societies or religious groups and practices are not permitted here. This includes remarks about collective responsibility.

Nonconforming posts are subject to deletion without warning. Serious breaches of these rules are punishable by banning the poster.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53962

Consequently, this topic is locked.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”