What is the most shocking/horrifying thing you have read about the Nazis/Japanese during WW2

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Cmyers1980

What is the most shocking/horrifying thing you have read about the Nazis/Japanese during WW2

Post by Cmyers1980 » 25 Jan 2016, 04:57

What is the most shocking/horrifying thing you have read about the actions of the Nazis/Japanese during WW2?

4thskorpion

Re: What is the most shocking/horrifying thing you have read about the Nazis/Japanese during WW2

Post by 4thskorpion » 25 Jan 2016, 11:12

On a personal level:
A German transport list at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum which records the transfer of my grandmother to KL Sachsenhausen in October 1944 from KL Ravensbrück both of which was new information to me at the time of my discovery of the document.

A book that would fall into the thread title:
Planet Dora: A Memoir Of The Holocaust And The Birth Of The Space Age by Yves Beon

Paul Lantos

Re: What is the most shocking/horrifying thing you have read about the Nazis/Japanese during WW2

Post by Paul Lantos » 26 Jan 2016, 06:09

Mine is also personal. My grandfather used to escape from a concentration camp almost every night to steal potatoes from a nearby field. Anyone caught doing this was killed, in the winter by freezing them to death in a box outside. He'd then sneak back into the camp, because there was nowhere to run or hide. That's the most shocking to me -- that he thought his odds of survival were higher in the camp than outside.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”