Prostitutes of the camps "Das KZ Bordell"

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
wm

Re: Prostitutes of the camps "Das KZ Bordell"

Post by wm » 08 Oct 2016, 23:51

Trying to be less pathetic than usual :)
How did the communal camp life of Auschwitz affect the various categories of prisoner ?
For Germans from the Reich it was no problem, no matter what their category. Almost without exception they held "high" positions, and were thus provided with all the physical necessities of life. Anything they could not obtain officially they would " organize". [...]
Until early 1942 the largest single group of prisoners were Poles.
Autobiography of Rudolf Höss
It was a concentration camp, not Ministry of Environment there were few high positions there.
Wkrótce okazało się, że pociągnięcie to wyraźnie zaniepokoiło Gestapo, które uważało je za jakąś nową kombinację szpitala. Pod naciskiem komendantury i Gestapo zmienił swoje stanowisko również i Wirths. Wezwał mnie do siebie i ostro oświadczył, że Gestapo robi mu zarzut, zresztą, jego zdaniem, zupełnie słuszny, że w szpitalu wpływy niemieckie spadają do zera a zaczynają się panoszyć Polacy, Żydzi i w ogóle komuniści. Istotnie Niemców w szpitalu było niewielu, tym bardziej że komun niemieccy nie byli przez komendanturę uważani za Niemców. Wirths zarzucił mi, że odpowiadam za ten stan rzeczy i muszę go zmienić. Ledwo wyszedłem od Wirthsa, a już zjawił się goniec, zawiadamiaj mnie, że mam natychmiast zgłosić się w Politische Abteilung u Oberscharfiihrera Kirschnera. Tu rozmowa miała przebieg daleko bardziej ostry. Kirschner wprost zarzucił mi dyskryminację więźniów Niemców, samowolne ,rządzenie się, zagroził, że jeżeli stan ten nie ulegnie natychmiastowej zmianie, to on się ze mną załatwi w krótkim trybie.

Nic nie pomogło, że wymieniłem mu chyba z tuzin Niemców i Austriaków, pracujących w szpitalu, gdyż byli to przeważnie komuniści. Bylem w kłopotliwej sytuacji. Niemców w obozie było w tym czasie stosunkowo niewielu; nieliczni komuniści pracowali przeważnie w dobrych komandach i nie mogłem liczyć na ich ściągnięcie, nie mówiąc już o tym, że i oni na pewno nie zadowoliliby komendantury. Reszta więźniów Niemców rekrutowała się bądź z przestępców pospolitych i innych szumowin, bądź też z ludzi może nieszkodliwych, ale zupełnie nieprzydatnych do specyficznej pracy szpitalnej.
Władysław Fejkiel, Medycyna za drutami.
There were relatively few Germans in the camp, a small number of Communists worked mostly in good Kommandos and were unavailable [because of this].
The rest of the Germans were common criminals and other scum, and [some] maybe harmless, but useless persons.

It should be added that the man - Władysław Fejkiel was personally responsible, among other duties (he was Lagerältester of the hospital in Auschwitz I), for the camp brothel. Or rather for physical and mental (yes, really) health of the women working there. He had at his disposal a few other doctors who worked shifts - one of them always had to be on duty inside.

Shosh's uncle needlessly worried that he couldn't "keep her alive another day" because the German prostitutes were fat. And he didn't lose anything either because, as Fejkiel wrote, they were unattractive too.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 09 Oct 2016, 19:16

I see, you made "very few" out from the original text "relatively few". But you missed to translate a part of the sentence, namely "w tym czasie = at this time".
So W. Fejkiel did not claim "there were very few Germans in the camp" but "there were comparatively few German in the camp at this time".

history1
Banned

Re: Prostitutes of the camps "Das KZ Bordell" (brothel)

Post by history1 » 09 Oct 2016, 19:43

LCJohn9 wrote:[...] the prostitutes were off limits to the SS and used solely by Sonderkommandos.
Sonderkommandos? What are you talking about?

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 09 Oct 2016, 19:57

LCJohn9 wrote:If the prostitutes (convicted or volunteers) were only used by forced labourers and were closely monitored, who serviced the SS guards?
They had their own 'facilities' but has anyone got information about this?
I guess you meant to write "camp inmates" and not forced laborers like eg. Ostarbeiter?
There were also brothels for SS -men with camp women whom were promised to get free after 6 month servong there, eg. in Buchenwald.
For more information read "Sexualized Violence - feminine experiences in NS - concentration camps":
http://www.mandelbaum.at/books/792/7228
And only the minority of SS - guards had their family (wives) nearby, especially officers. And even some of them often only for limited time periods as we know from the Auschwitz archive files.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 09 Oct 2016, 20:05

wm wrote:[...] There were actually only several of them per camp (eight in Mauthausen-Gusen), so they were very popular (at work and, in their spare time)[...]
Baumgartner claims in the above mentioned book that there were 20 women at the fall 44 until liberation, 17 German and 3 Poles.

history1
Banned

Post by history1 » 09 Oct 2016, 20:11

Mauser K98k wrote:[...] I heard that the women selected for such duty from Birkenau were primarily from the "Kanada" area, where having had better rations and all the food they could steal from Jewish luggage afforded them with more "normal shapes", obviously a desired attribute.
A woman from Kanada would have been very silly to change her much appreciated work commando.
BTW, they didn´t have better rations but more possibilities to organise additionaly food in an illegal way.

wm

Post by wm » 10 Oct 2016, 23:04

history1 wrote:I see, you made "very few" out from the original text "relatively few". But you missed to translate a part of the sentence, namely "w tym czasie = at this time".
So W. Fejkiel did not claim "there were very few Germans in the camp" but "there were comparatively few German in the camp at this time".
Please, it didn't post a larger excerpt than needed to be caught red-handed in such a naive way. It's a tiny part of a large text. It was my job to reflect authorial intent as faithfully as possible.

That man couldn't find in the entire camp a dozen unskilled German citizens to work in his hospital, one of the best places there to work.

It's "at this time" because a few days later a larger group of German citizens arrived, it was 30+ or maybe 40+ people. They were Silesians sentenced for spreading Polish propaganda. And he employed some of them.
But even 40 people in such a large camp was "very few".

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”