Massacre in Lvov, Ukraine 1941

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Panzermahn

Massacre in Lvov, Ukraine 1941

Post by Panzermahn » 30 Jul 2003, 06:16

Before the German 7th Army arrived at Lvov, an extraordinary brutality was happening at the main prison at the city..Thousands of Ukrainian political priosners were being massacred by the Bolshevik NKVD as the city was threatened by the Wehrmacht.As the NKVD unable to transport these political prisoners, it was decided that they should be all massacred..

During the capture of the city, a detachment of german troops found mass graves in Lvov and this prompted the Wehrmacht to send in the Wehrmacht Untersuchungstelle to investigate...A medi-legal commission of military doctors, forensic experts and military judges investigated these massacre and came to the conclusion the the NKVD was the 1 who is responsible for all the massacre...

Is there anyone had any links to the report of the masscre of Ukrainian political prisoners by the Bolshevik NKVD by the commission of investigation of the Wehrmahct Untersuchungstelle?
Last edited by Panzermahn on 30 Jul 2003, 06:33, edited 2 times in total.

Champymiddle
Banned

Post by Champymiddle » 30 Jul 2003, 06:20

More bolshevik stuff?!

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 30 Jul 2003, 06:30

It was taken from

Alfred M. de Zayas,

Wehrmacht War Crimes Bureau
1989 University of Nebraska Press

Champymiddle
Banned

Post by Champymiddle » 30 Jul 2003, 06:31

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 30 Jul 2003, 07:12

It seems that your memory is not functioning too well either. You asked exactly the same question before – I found the documents related to it, I translated them, and I knew that you read my post because you responded later in your usual style. What exactly is wrong with you? Here is the original thread http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... s&start=15 – here is the repost of my translation:
Top Secret.

To the Peoples Commissar of Internal Affairs comrade Beria.
Potential relocation of the convicts from the near-front prisons, as well newly arrested after recent prison evacuations, as well as once who would appear as a resulted of proposition to widen evacuation zone, seems to be unconsidered in the light of extreme graveness of transport situation and extreme excess of number of convicts already in the rear area prisons.

It is most urgent to allow chiefs of UNKGB and UNKVD , on case by case basis, in coordination with military command, to decide the problem of prison unloading , basing on following guidelines.

1. Only people who are still under investigation for diversionary, spy and terrorist activities are to be evacuated to the rear prisons.
2. Women with children, pregnant, underage, with exception of spies, bandits especially dangerous etc are to be freed.
3. All convicted under the orders oh Presidium of Highest Council of USSR from 6.26, 8.10. 12.28 of 1940 and 4.9 of 1941 and also people convicted for small-time domestic , government crimes and other unimportant criminal activities as well as people who currently being investigated for such and who do not considered to be socially dangerous, are to be organized for defense work in accordance to request of military command and to be freed before the time, if evacuation is called.
4. All other criminals, deserters included, are to be shot.
Awaiting your instructions
Deputy to Peoples Commissar of Internal Affairs Chernishev
Chief of Prison department Nikolskiy
July 4 1941.

From the report of Chief of Prison department of NKVD UkSSR , captain of State Security Filipov to the Deputy of Peoples commissar of Internal l Affairs Chernishev and to chief of Prison department of NKVD USSR, captain of State Security, Nikolskiy July 12 1941.

The beginning of combat actions prompted evacuation of incarcerated form Western regions prisons, in the first turn – from the prisons attacked by German armed forces, and form the remaining prisons later on.

In order to assist in organization of evacuation of incarcerated at 0.5 hors of 06/24/1941 16 high-rank officials of prison Department of NKVD UkSSR were sent in all western regions – 2 per prison.

From 0.4 hours of 6.27.41 till 7.4.41 I myself and 3 other employees of prison department were in Ternopl and Proskurov where I commanded this operation through the staff of South-Western Front – mainly asking for transport.

Lack of the later was the main handicap in the evacuation process
Despite the existing order of Fronts headquarters, military commandants of the railways station gave priority to the evacuation of wounded and other military traffic. No transport was given of evacuation of incarcerated.

The second reason for the untimely evacuation was total lack of the cooperation form local NKGB departments which grew in outright opposition to it till it was too late, and who later put all the responsibility on the local head of prison. That was especially obvious in Tranopol region.
Also they totally distanced themselves from conduct of operation of 1st category (execution – oleg) in most case leaving the job to the local prison personnel, and since they were conducted under the enemy fire and during the general retreat prison personel did not have enough time to camouflage graves more meticulously.
Region by Region situation is as follows:
Lvov Region: From the prisons of Lvov region gone by 1st category (executed –oleg) 2464, freed - 808, evacuated 201, left in prison -1546, namely: prison #1- 1366 men, #2 -66 men, #4 - 114 men - mainly convicted for household criminal acts. During the night of 23-24 of June of this year, in accordance to the order of Lvov staff all personnel of the prison – guarding company included- left the city but came back in 4 hours. In that period about 300 men escaped form the prison #1 – most of the m are common criminals. All archives and documents with exception of prisoners registration journals, and valuables registration journals are burned. The above mentioned remaining documents are in Kiev.
There were several attack by OUN on the prison in Zlochev. All attacks were repulsed by prison guards.

Dorogobich Region. By the time of Prisons Department brigade arrival in the region, for the purpose of prisoners evacuation, prison in Permishl was already evacuated due to occupation of the town by the enemy. From the words of prison chief Telnov evacuation was done on foot in two columns – 1st common criminals, 2nd all the remaining ZKs (Russian acronym fro the prisoner -oleg). First column under Telnov successfully made its way to the Sambor; second one was taken over by Germans – guarding personnel and some prisoners fought their way through and now located in Stariy
The remaining two prisons in Sambor and Stariy contained 2242 Zks. During the evacuations of these two prisons were executed 1101 men, freed 250 men, evacuated by rail 637 men, left in prison - 304 men.
On June 27th, during the Sambor Prison evacuation there wer left 80 corpses that personnel did not have time to burry and local NKGB refused to offer any assistance.
Stanislav region. From 3 prisons – Stanislav, Kolimichi, Pechnzhina, evacuated by rail total of 1376 men –in accordance with order by chief of UNKVD Mikhailov, among them were 294 convicted for criminal activities and 9 men who were sentenced to death – all former red army personnel.
Gone by 1st category – 1000 men. According to chief of Stanislav prison – they are partially buried behind the prison limits and partially on the prison territory. Freed -295 men. Due to the lack of transport 647 remained in the prison – 282 criminals, the rest convicted for household crimes and misdemeanors.
Tarnopol Region. In the Chertkoev prison there was 1300 Zks. There was enough transport for the evacuation however on the orders of local NKGB chief 800 of them were left in prison – all criminals. Thus only 500 men were evacuated. At the very last moment NKGB chief washed his hands off the responsibility the above mentioned 800 saying “do whatever you want with them”
Chie fo the prison Levchuk, organized evacuation on foot , to Kamenec-Podolskiy and then even further since he was unable to obtain needed transport there as well.
In Kremenc prison there were 360 Zks. On June 26 in accordance with chief of local NKVD prison personnel left the facility in the direction of Katrenburg form where it came several hours later. By the time they came back 191 Zk has escaped. The rest is currently evacuated to Proskurov. Riabov is removed form his position and currently is under investigation. According to data we have Zks from Kremenec are in Kharkov as of July 6.

As of 6/22/41 there were 1790 men in Tarnopol prison – out of that number 560 men are gone by 1st category. Operation was conducted by chief of UNKGB.
. 1008 Zks form Tarnopol prison is evacuated by foot Volochisk station and then by rail to Kursk. Freed 217 men, shot while trying to escape 18 men.
In Berzhani prison there were 376 Zks as of 6/28/41 –gone by 1st category 174 men. Local NKGB refused to participate and assist in any way. 8 people are freed, sent to Tranopol – 94 remaining in prison -48 and additional 51 that are to be freed.
Rovno Region. Dubno prison – gone by 1st category 230 men, freed 170 men. Sent to prison #4 (Roeno) 250 men out of which 20 were left in the various hospitals on the way due to illness.
Ostrogi prison out of 75 prisoners 5 are freed the rest remained there.
Volinsk Region
Kovel Prison gone by 1st category 195 men, freed 300 men, 45 are still in prison
Last edited by Oleg Grigoryev on 30 Jul 2003, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.

Champymiddle
Banned

Post by Champymiddle » 30 Jul 2003, 07:17

Oleg please not another argument, Try to be nicer to Panzermahn

Galicia

Post by Galicia » 30 Jul 2003, 07:18

My lord, it's not a secret. L'viv, (pronounced the way it's spelled, not L'vov), was the intellectual and nationalist capital of the Ukraine, and therefore held the bulk of the Ukrainian Intellegensia.

I unfortunatly, cannot find information on this at the moment although I've read everything scurriously, (perhaps its because its 1:15 AM), and I'll bring up a couple sources for you, but most books and websites for that matter, only mention this as an example as to why the Ukrainians were so grateful, (initally), for the German invasion.

Later, however, the Germans locked up several members of the OUN, (a heroic nationalistic organization, despite rumors), the Ukrainian Intellegensia, etc. They then took any members of the "Volksdeutche" and drafted them on the spot. Most Volksdeutche, (if they went along with German orders) were given comfy positions, but were rather hated by the Ukrainians, who looked upon them as traitors.

Oleg, it seems, may be right on this situation. German Soldiers were rather shocked that so many people were just shot in their cells as the Soviets retreated, (their crimes however, may have just been stealing food to feed their families). I believe I remember reading that most bodies had been left in their cells to rot for the Germans, and only a few were taken outside, shot, and buried. Possibly time was an element. I think the Soviets wanted to demoralize the Germans, rather than be concerned about Hygene.
Last edited by Galicia on 30 Jul 2003, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 30 Jul 2003, 07:21

Champymiddle wrote:Oleg please not another argument, Try to be nicer to Panzermahn
It takes most of my energy not to call all the names he so richly deserves. Being nice to him –not in this lifetime.

Champymiddle
Banned

Post by Champymiddle » 30 Jul 2003, 07:24

*sigh* so this is why there can never be a global community

Champymiddle
Banned

Post by Champymiddle » 30 Jul 2003, 07:26

Possibly time was an element. I think the Soviets wanted to demoralize the Germans, rather than be concerned about Hygene.
You think so? Maybe its because they did not bother or they did not have time.

Galicia

Post by Galicia » 30 Jul 2003, 07:32

The Germans were knocking on the door. But, they weren't at the door.

IMO, I think that it was a demorilizing tactic. You could equally argue the above. Frankly, unless one of us is there, we will never know.

I could give you 100 quotes from 100 books.

You could equally argue that 25 of these quotes can be interpreted, 50 of them were written in the Cold War Era, and that 25 of these do not have concrete evidence.

We could go on forever, but I don't see why to press the point. Look, I give my positions on how my Grandmother and Grandfather, (both of whom were there), told me. To date, with all my research, none of them have lied or twisted the truth.

No reason to be so hostile. :)

Wow, Hundreth Post. Not bad.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 30 Jul 2003, 07:51

Champymiddle wrote:*sigh* so this is why there can never be a global community
I'd rather spend my life on some desrted Godforskaen rock in the middle of nowherem than live in the Global community that is "nice" to the likes of the "panzermhan".

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 30 Jul 2003, 07:52

Let's get back on topic.

Oleg Grigoryev

Post by Oleg Grigoryev » 30 Jul 2003, 08:05

if anybody reads Russian here is big article on the subject http://www.hro.org/editions/karta/nr6/evaku.htm

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 30 Jul 2003, 16:31

Champymiddle wrote:Oleg please not another argument, Try to be nicer to Panzermahn
If you feel another user is behaving badly, contact myself or one of the moderators rather than try to act like a moderator yourself, thanks.

/Marcus

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”