Beheadings in the Third Reich

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
fredric

Re: Beheadings in the Third Reich

Post by fredric » 07 Jun 2015, 08:02

Patches wrote:Greetings Fredric:

Thank you for the very detailed reply! AHF certainly has a wealth of information, thanks to people like you.

You mentioned that the Tegel used in the film was notoriously faulty (during the time it was actually in use). So these mechanisms have failed at times? What a macabre thought that is! If somebody was in the middle of being executed only to have something go wrong and prolong the process even further (if that ever happened) or worse. A horrible thought!

I've read that after the war Reichhart was even employed by the Allies as an executioner in putting sentenced Nazis to death (!), although by hanging and not with a fallbeil. And that he was later against the death penalty. An Interesting subject.
The early "Tegels", designed by the Physsikalisch-Technische Reichstalt in Berlin and built at the workshops in Tegel Prison, had many problems. They were inferior to the fine Mannhardt fallbeile built in the period 1854-1860 and the type of fallbeil familiar to Reichhart and other scharfrichters.

Tegels were supposed to be an improved design. They incorporated many innovations, especially in the blade release mechanism and internal cabling. But they had "growing pains."

Initally, blades on the first three Tegels had to be resharpened after ever four executions. The blades also chipped. Poor heat-treating and a lower grade of steel rather than fine machine-tool steel was the cause. The Tegel put into use at Wein in 1939 immediately had blade problems and a second blade was requested from the RMJ. Then the Viennese machine really began to fail. The blade lifting mechanism failed, a tooth broke on the winch, the cable frayed and most serious, the blade stuck as a result of striking the upper Halbrett during an execution. Reichhart claim that this occurred because small screws were used to secure the halsbrett slides and they became loose. He probably was right because the the fallbeil is nothing more than a pile-driver with a blade and it packs a tremendous wallop.

The Vienna Tegel's sledge then stuck half-way down the rails during a 1940 double execution because one of the guiding rails became loose causing the sledge to jump out of the track. Apparently the execution was completed but at the second execution, the sledge/blade hit the loose halsbrett and was blocked. It stuck above the neck of the screaming prisoner. Reichhart was said to have had a nervous breakdown over this incident. He also must have gone into a detailed rant about all the problems with the new machines...everything from the blocking to the release mechanism to the inferior construction.

A detailed discussion of the issues encountered with the early Tegel appears in Thomas Waltenbacher's book Zentrale Hinrichtungsstatten. In short, the RMJ dismissed Reichhart's complaints (politics?), did a study of their own and said the issues were due to wood swelling, use of screws rather than rivits, metal fatigue, improper cleaning of the new machines, poorly made cable drums and limitations of Berlin-Tegel's metalworking/heat treating capablilities.

Subsequent "Tegels" were jobbed out to machine tool firms in Berln and greater attention was paid to the quality of individual components and materials. The PTI was, by this time, happy to get out from under the problem in my opinion. They got paid for the design. The plans for the Tegel were never found. So it is probable Tegel Prison built Tegel "prototypes" and some but not all of the subsequent machines. They did repair damaged fallbeile including Plotzensee's Mannhardt.

The blade problems ended when the RMJ specified that all blades were now to be made of high-grade steel and fabricated new specifications and dimensions. Each blade was to be stored in a wooden "messerkisten", thus causing the blades to be removed from the machine and regularly inspected. The later Tegels actually were innovative, compact (shorter than Mannhardts thus requiring lower ceiling height) and solidly built.

Reichhart's being against the death penalty is debatable.

Patches

Post by Patches » 08 Jun 2015, 01:13

fredric wrote:The Vienna Tegel's sledge then stuck half-way down the rails during a 1940 double execution because one of the guiding rails became loose causing the sledge to jump out of the track. Apparently the execution was completed but at the second execution, the sledge/blade hit the loose halsbrett and was blocked. It stuck above the neck of the screaming prisoner. Reichhart was said to have had a nervous breakdown over this incident.

[Snip]

Very interesting! This is the first I've read about Reichhart having nervous breakdown like that, but if true it is certainly understandable. I know that a biography was written about Reichhart but I believe it is only in German, and I think the German I learned in school is too rusty by now to follow along properly. I even found that a play had been written about Reichhart's life as well! An interesting subject/character to say the least.

You wrote that Reichhart being against the death penalty is debatable. Why do you think that is?

Pete26

Tegel fallbeil dimensions

Post by Pete26 » 08 Jun 2015, 06:46

height: 235 cm (92.5 in or 7.7 ft)

length of the bench: 136 cm (53.5 in or 4.5 ft)

approximate dimensions of the head bucket: 41 X 51 cm (17 in X 20 in). The bucket is not a true rectangle, but it is oval in shape

weight of the sledge and blade: 51 kg (112 lbs)

Note: the dimensions above are for the Katowice Tegel fallbeil which has been preserved in its original condition.
The weight of the sledge and blade for the Pankrac fallbeil is given as 60 kg (132 lbs). The difference in weight of these parts between these two fallbeils could be attributed to a weighing error and/or possibly heavier sledge/blade on the Pankrac fallbeil. Both Katowice and Pankrac sledges and blades are original equipment, not reproductions.

From my own estimates, the blade is dropped from the height of about 1.1 meters (43 inches) and achieves the terminal speed of about 4.6 meters/sec (15.1 ft/sec). The blade falls to the bottom in about 1/2 of a second after it is released, provided the frame sliding surfaces are well lubricated. The actual act of decapitation takes only about 3 hundreds of a second (0.03 seconds) based on a human neck 15 cm in diameter.

The actual decapitation time is about 0.02 seconds for a French guillotine with twice the blade drop height and 30% higher terminal blade speed.

fredric

Re: Tegel fallbeil dimensions

Post by fredric » 08 Jun 2015, 08:22

Pete26 wrote:height: 235 cm (92.5 in or 7.7 ft)

length of the bench: 136 cm (53.5 in or 4.5 ft)

approximate dimensions of the head bucket: 41 X 51 cm (17 in X 20 in). The bucket is not a true rectangle, but it is oval in shape

weight of the sledge and blade: 51 kg (112 lbs)

Note: the dimensions above are for the Katowice Tegel fallbeil which has been preserved in its original condition.
The weight of the sledge and blade for the Pankrac fallbeil is given as 60 kg (132 lbs). The difference in weight of these parts between these two fallbeils could be attributed to a weighing error and/or possibly heavier sledge/blade on the Pankrac fallbeil. Both Katowice and Pankrac sledges and blades are original equipment, not reproductions.

From my own estimates, the blade is dropped from the height of about 1.1 meters (43 inches) and achieves the terminal speed of about 4.6 meters/sec (15.1 ft/sec). The blade falls to the bottom in about 1/2 of a second after it is released, provided the frame sliding surfaces are well lubricated. The actual act of decapitation takes only about 3 hundreds of a second (0.03 seconds) based on a human neck 15 cm in diameter.

The actual decapitation time is about 0.02 seconds for a French guillotine with twice the blade drop height and 30% higher terminal blade speed.
Excellent information. Do you have similar information for the Mannhardt? In fact any dimensional info would be appreciated. I am building
a model of the Mannhardt "discovered" at the BNM and am working with the 1854 drawing which for me is hard to decipher...the dimensions.

fredric

Post by fredric » 08 Jun 2015, 09:06

Patches wrote:
fredric wrote:The Vienna Tegel's sledge then stuck half-way down the rails during a 1940 double execution because one of the guiding rails became loose causing the sledge to jump out of the track. Apparently the execution was completed but at the second execution, the sledge/blade hit the loose halsbrett and was blocked. It stuck above the neck of the screaming prisoner. Reichhart was said to have had a nervous breakdown over this incident.

[Snip]

Very interesting! This is the first I've read about Reichhart having nervous breakdown like that, but if true it is certainly understandable. I know that a biography was written about Reichhart but I believe it is only in German, and I think the German I learned in school is too rusty by now to follow along properly. I even found that a play had been written about Reichhart's life as well! An interesting subject/character to say the least.

You wrote that Reichhart being against the death penalty is debatable. Why do you think that is?
No question Reichhart was upset by the sticking blade and wanted to absolve himself of any possible accusation he was to blame (he could have lost his job if he screwed up an execution). This is why I believe he claimed to be unable to work for a month. It may have been a ploy and this was characteristic of him.

I have read Dachs' book but not the other one. I have not read the
script to "3165" but it probably follows the Dachs book. There is plenty of information about Reichhart out there, enough for me to "profile" him.
I think I know him pretty well. The others, Hehr, Rottger, Reindel, etc. are more elusive. Reichhart liked the limelight so we have a lot of photos and
anecdotal materials plus the books.

Regarding his being against the death penalty, he also said he was in favor of it another time!
Herr Reichhart was a cunning fellow, a survivor. He played the Allies well and would take a position favorable to himself. This, in my opinion, is why we see him positioning himself as the compassionate executioner, a servant of the State, who modified protocol and equipment to make the victim suffer less. He said this to Dachs and others over and over and at his denazifaction trial. Reichhart was a nazi, the only scharfricher to have joined the party. Why? To be favored by the guys in control.

Reichhart modified his fallbeil and execution protocol because speed was his objective, not caring for the victim's suffering. He became wealthy as a "kopfschneider" and the more heads he cut, the more money he made. Johann came from a poor background (animal disposal business) but also was a descendant of a long line of German executioners, a high-profile position in Bavaria. (The Bavarian King even recognized Johann's Uncle (Onkel) Xavier with a note on the occasion of Xavier's 50th wedding anniversary... so Johann must have had a sense of being connected with the higher levels of society in Bavaria)

Johann was ambitious and tried many vocations instead of horse butchery. He was not very successful at any. He tried selling religious books, then teaching ballroom dancing, and running a snack-bar in a train station, hardly vocations of a knacker's son. Finally his Onkel Xavier, an elegant, religious fellow (profession: barber/hairdresser/maker of hairdressings and the first government-appointed sharfrichter for Bavaria) led to Johann's taking a great leap forward.

Xavier, following tradition, had asked Johann's older brother to succeed him when he decided to retire. The older brother refused, preferring to be knacker and just an assistant to Xavier. Somehow killing old horses must have more appeal than killing people.

Johann was then asked, agreed to do it and trained under Onkel Xavier. This was in 1926.

Johann had to supplement his scharfrichter's income (few executions were held in this period) by the aforementioned vocations. His wife left him because he was a scharfrichter. His children were harassed at school as well (Reichhart had three children).
He gave up the head-cutting business and moved to Holland where he tried the green-grocer business. He failed. Then he was called back to Germany for an execution and stayed. The pace of executions was picking up. Hitler was coming to power. Reichhart joined the Nazi party and
began a career which made him perhaps the most well-known executioner of the 20th century.

Johann made a ton of money during the War years and rushed from prison to prison, cutting heads. He worked constantly, even on holidays.
He wanted special dispensation so he could exceed posted limits so he could get to more executions.
He was known for his arrogance, elegant dress, and incredible skill at his bloody work. He worked fast, arriving at the prison, carrying out the assignment and demanding payment on the spot.
He is said to have lived a lavish life, had fast cars, a fine home and many mistresses.

This all worked against him when he was tried after the War. Some of the charges may have been fabricated.
He was punished by the denazifaction courts (fined) and shunned by his fellow Germans.
Yes, he did work for the Allies (I have corresponded with a relative of a U.S. officer at Landsburg Prison who observed Reichhart during executions...you can find Signal Corps film of Johann hanging German war criminals at Landsburg on YouTube). He was not paid much by the U.S.
authorities but still appeared in suit, tie as did his assistants (said to be his sons). Reichhart also was outspoken for his dislike of Master Sgt. John
Woods, the official U.S. hangman with whom Reichhart worked at Landsburg. He considered Woods an inept butcher...which is close to the truth.

Johann was a poor man in retirement (years 1950- 1972) and must it must have been awful. We have a few photos of him then and he looks pretty
run-down. It is said he was shunned by just about everyone except for a woman with whom he lived (still must have had some appeal?).
I find that Johann took every opportunity to improve his image right up to the end of his life. The Dachs book is one such effort. His claims to be against the death penalty is another. Ironically, in his retirement years he finally got a government pension, raised dogs (a traditional avocation for scharfrichters) and like Onkel Xavier, made shampoo !
Last edited by fredric on 08 Jun 2015, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.

Patches

Post by Patches » 08 Jun 2015, 11:33

Fascinating details, Fredric! Thanks for sharing them!

Pete26

Mannhardt fallbeil dimensions

Post by Pete26 » 09 Jun 2015, 02:03

andreobrecht wrote:The drawing is from 1854 and does not specify the types of welds but the only type of welds used at the time were forge welds. I can only guess that the sledge was either forged from steel bars or cast in one piece.
I found and re-read my old calculations based on the 1854 drawing and it turns out the sledge weighs 40 kg and the blade 26 kg based on the 20mm thickness shown on the drawing. I have heard that actual blades were more often in the 10-12mm range which would reduce the weight proportionally. My guess for the Rastatt fallbeil with a 12mm blade is 16kg for the blade and 41 kg for the sledge for a total weight of 57kg.

The schlitten with blade is 1.5" thick = 3.75 cm
The side vertical "sticks" are 90 cm long by 6 cm wide
For a total volume of 4050cm3 for both side legs
Using 7.85 kg/1000cm3 the weight comes to 31,590 grams or 31.6kg
The cross ties are only half the thickness 1.87 cm
34 cm long and 6cm wide
For a total volume of 775cm3 for both ties
Total weight 6,047 grams or 6.0kg
Add another 2kg for the lumps at the end of the vertical legs and the schlitten weighs 39.6kg
The blade surface is 30cm x 57cm=1710 cm2
With a blade thickness of 2cm the blade has a volume of 3420cm3
weight 26,676 grams or 26.7kg
This puts the assembly at 66.3kg + the bolts
This is a bit high as I have not taken into account the hole in the blade, the bevelled edge and the fact that the blade is closer to 18mm thick but there is really no room for a significant error in this.
Here is some information on Mannhardt fallbeil dimensions as posted earlier in this thread. Also, the overall height of the machine was determined to be 310 cm. As you see from the referenced discussion, the blade thicknesses did vary. This also helps explain the difference in weight between Katowice and Pankrac sledge/blade weights.

Pete26

Post by Pete26 » 11 Jun 2015, 04:25

fredric wrote:I can provide a lot of information about the film, Reichhart and this particular fallbeil.

The film has several errors. The biggest error is that it shows a Tegel fallbeil, not the Mannhardt.
This is a stupid error by the filmaker and should not be claimed to be the actual fallbeil used on the Scholls.
I think this was discussed in an earlier post. Certainly the
dress of he assistants is wrong...the top hats (zylinder) were worn only by the official Scharfrichter, in this case Johann Baptiste Reichhart.

However the protocol showing Sophie being identified, the sentence briefly restated, the time taken...all that is accurate. The detailed report of the execution exists and is posted on this site. Reichhart used two assistants. Sophie is said to have been stoic. The execution chamber is too
stark white...they used an autopsy/morgue room for the location in the film...the actual room was not quite so bright. It did have a cross on the wall...which is all that remains today of the actual execution room...the room was torn down years ago. A brief glimps of he actual room appears in a YouTube video about Reichhart and the fallbeil...but no picture of the fallbeil in situ. The witnesses shown would be correct...one doctor, the prison official, prosecutor, secretary documenting the execution for report...the black curtain. The process of placing Sophie on the fallbeil may not be the same as used for the Mannhardt.

Yes, the fallbeil on which the Scholls and many others were beheaded is the one stored at the Bavarian National Museum.
I corresponded with the Museum extensively and provided a lot of background information to them when the "discovery" got the attention of the
news media. Please post any specific questions you might have about this fallbeil...but here are some interesting points:
1. The fallbeil is the "Munchen No.1" machine, manufactured by
Mannhardt in 1854 and remains in good shape. Reichhart did have the tipping board removed and the slot filled in order to speed the execution process. His team could position the condemned and the blade would drop in under the prescribed seven seconds.

2. At present, the Bavarian Ministry of Culture has decided not to permit exhibition or viewing of the fallbeil out of respect to and at the request of living members of the White Rose group.

3. In addition to the fallbeil mechanism, the Museum's store room contains several fallbeil bases for Mannhardt machines, at least two lunettes, two boxed blades, several tipping boards with belts, a set of assembly instructions, "stools" for supporting the mechanism during installation, the cable winch, and possibly other items. All of this material came to Straubing and Regensberg after the War and then in the 1970's to the Museum.

4, This fallbeil was exhibited once back in the 1980's and then must have been hidden and forgotten. It literally was "discovered" a little over a year ago.

5. Two photos and two videos of the fallbeil were made. One video, released to the media, has been taken down but there is one on YouTube.

6. It was only partially assembled for the photos but is fully operational.

7. The Museum has one fallbeil mechanism (metal unit consisting to the rails, crosspiece, sliding "schlittern" (sledge) for the blade, shocks for the rams, etc...it is very heavy. They did not affix the winch or halbrett, etc. Just the mechanism was transported to various locations prior to the establishment of Central Execution Sites such as Stadelheim. This explains the multiple bases. I am still piecing together the transportation procedure...moving the entire machine including bases, would have been huge. And it was, prior to locations having their own bases, the way it was done.

The fallbeil shown in the Scholl film was borrowed from the Vienna Criminal Museum. It is a Tegel type, built in Berlin in around 1936. It is of course not the type of fallbeil used in Stadelheim. This particular Tegel was notoriously faulty and Reichhart hated it.
Several more errors in the execution scene:

1. There is no floor drain in front of the fallbeil, which was necessary to drain the blood and water after the fallbeil was hosed off. The blood chute in not installed on the fallbeil.

2. No sink, water faucet, or water hose is visible anywhere around the fallbeil. These would certainly be near the fallbeil in a real execution room.

3. If you watch the movie carefully and time how long it takes from the time the prisoner is turned over to the executioner to the fall of the blade, it is about 20 seconds. This is much too slow. The official execution report for Sophie Scholl states it took 6 seconds. The fallbeil in the movie is placed too far from the black curtain. In a real execution room the end of the fallbeil bench would be almost touching the black curtain hiding the fallbeil. This can be seen in Pankrac and Plotzensee execution rooms. Therefore, only one short step would be necessary to place the condemned on the fallbeil bench, not a short walk as shown in the movie.

4. The leather strap above the head bucket is disconnected from one side in the movie and is hanging down. This leather strap was used to support the forehead of the condemned to assure a clean cut through the neck.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldwmv ... o1_500.jpg

5. The actress's hair is not combed up or cut and it is caught in the lunette when it is closed. In a real execution this would not be permitted, as this could cause the hair to be ripped out of the scalp by the blade and cause a ragged cut though the neck. The upper part of the lunette is pushed down by one of the assistants. This would not be necessary on a real fallbeil, as the lunette upper piece was designed to fall in place by its own weight when it was released.

6. The actor playing the executioner is ridiculously tall and he makes the fallbeil look smaller than it really is. Johann Reichhart was of medium height.

7. The head bucket is completely removed from the fallbeil for the final shot of the actresses's face.

8. Vienna fallbeil in the movie is improperly restored and the head bucket would be mounted much higher on a real fallbeil and the leather strap would be routed through notches in the side of the bucket so that the head of the condemned would be completely hidden inside the bucket in side view. The blade release level on a real Tegel was a vertical pull rod, not a slanted lever mounted low on one of the uprights. The rear bench legs are much too thin and massive front wooden bench legs are missing. The original Stadelheim fallbeil had a blade shield which hid the raised blade from view. Also, most Tegel fallbeils had such shields.

htk

Post by htk » 11 Jun 2015, 20:24

Hi Fredrick

Reichhart modified his fallbeil and execution protocol because speed was his objective, not caring for the victim's suffering. He became wealthy as a "kopfschneider" and the more heads he cut, the more money he made. Johann came from a poor background (animal disposal business) but also was a descendant of a long line of German executioners, a high-profile position in Bavaria. (The Bavarian King even recognized Johann's Uncle (Onkel) Xavier with a note on the occasion of Xavier's 50th wedding anniversary... so Johann must have had a sense of being connected with the higher levels of society in Bavaria)

some questions about your remarks.
- not caring for the victim's suffering : Is this your opinion or based on facts ? One could also argue that speed lessens the suffering
- He became wealthy as a "kopfschneider" ... do you work for free ?? why should he ? he (according to law) did not receive a state salary. He was
a private contractor.

regards

fredric

Post by fredric » 11 Jun 2015, 23:07

It is my opinion. I think his modifications to the fallbeil and revision to the execution protocol were done in the interest of him being viewed as the
most efficient and proficient executioner, not to lessen the victim's suffering. That came as a result of speed and the modifications were made in the interest of speeding up the process. For example, I recall reading a detailed description of the protocol followed by Xavier and the process was lengthy, in fact longer than for an axe execution!
It is important to recognize that Johann Reichhart had a rather unsuccessful life up to the time
he was appointed successor to Xavier. I think he latched onto the opportunity to make a name for himself as a
totally professional guillotiner. Making the beheading process as efficient as possible of course lessens the victim's suffering but Reichhart used
this arguement in court when he was being prosecuted. He was being assailed for "blutgeldt" ... and wanted to be seen as a compassionate servant of the State...frankly an apolitical headsman.
I have no problem with the fact Reichhart became wealthy at his craft. He was compensated on the same basis as other scharfrichters. He was a hired, civil servant I believe.

Piotr1

Post by Piotr1 » 12 Jun 2015, 20:56

Pete26

Pankrac prison beheadings on 4 April 1945

Post by Pete26 » 13 Jun 2015, 22:17

http://img.ct24.cz/cache/900x700/articl ... 607830.jpg

16 people were beheaded that day:

Anastasia Kočková

Karel Mayer

František Vítovský

Anna Vítovská

Bohumil Filipovský

Vladimir Filipovský

Ladislav Halabudio

Václav Chmelík

Márie Chmelíková

Vojtech Holan

Josef Faltýnek

Ludmila Faltýnková

František Rýšavý

Edmond Paleček

Josef Novotný

Stepán Gajdoš

Note: Ludmila Faltýnková, one of the victims listed above became insane after 7 weeks of waiting in the death cell

Source: žaluji: Pankrácka Kalvárie, volume II.

Some names as recorded in the execution book by Alois Weiss are either Germanized or misspelled. For example, for Bohumil Filipovský, his first name "Bohumil" is recorded in Germanized version as "Gottlieb". Václav Chmelík is recorded as "Wenzel Chmelik". František Ryšavý is recorded as "Franz Rysavy". Anastásia Kočková is recorded as "Anastasia Kocka". Anna Vítovská is recorded as "Anna Vitovsky".

Pete26

Alois Weiss

Post by Pete26 » 14 Jun 2015, 02:41

http://www.rozhlas.cz/hrdina/70/_zprava ... i--1482564

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/histor ... sekyrarne/

http://media.rozhlas.cz/_obrazek/260532 ... 0x0p0.jpeg

http://media.rozhlas.cz/_obrazek/336950 ... 389p0.jpeg

The article confirms that according to official records, Alois Weiss died in 1969, not in 1986, as erroneously mentioned in some sources.

In his execution book, Alois Weiss prepared blank entry columns going all the way to year 1946. Evidently he did not count on WWII ending so soon. The entries in the book cover almost 40 pages. Between April 1943 and May 1945 Alois Weiss earned almost 50,000 Reichmarks as Prague executioner. The post of Prague executioner was the pinnacle of his otherwise unimpressive career.

Pete26

More Vienna fallbeil victims

Post by Pete26 » 15 Jun 2015, 03:37

http://www.doew.at/cms/images/4miot/def ... Gustav.png

Gustav Ziegler, a medical student, guillotined at Vienna Landesgericht on 30 August 1944.

http://www.doew.at/cms/images/dflrh/def ... ergius.png

Sergius Majle, guillotined at Vienna Landesgericht on 7 April 1944

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”