Beheadings in the Third Reich

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
svenga

Re: Beheadings in the Third Reich

Post by svenga » 17 Jan 2017, 14:47

The Dresden photographs have got me that excited I decided to post for the first time In a long time!

Absolutely fantastic discovery Pete. And I completely agree with Fredric, these are the clearest I have come across of a good example Tegal. More than enough to get me building another model!.

I hope Fredric, Pete, and Mr Anderson are well and I wish you all a belated happy new year!

fredric

Post by fredric » 17 Jan 2017, 17:24

The detail revealed of the winch is unique. Good wishes on a new model.
I am guessing the drawing Pete found marked Dresden will also help.

svenga

Post by svenga » 17 Jan 2017, 17:40

May I add..

After studying the latest set of Pankrac Faillbeil photographs, it truly is clear to see how poor the initial restoration attempt was.. Infact it has never been very realistic or true to its original nature as we know.

Beyond the fact that the overall design of the bench, head basin, winch etc is completely wrong. Studying closely shows a mix of very poor workmanship, even if a rough idea of the design was not known by the builders and they worked from guessing and passive descriptions. Looking closely shows odd screws sizes, bolt & nut sizes, a whole mixed bag of 'bodged' construction. The possibly of a shortage of supplies or a rush to complete the finished article for media & propaganda is understandable, but even some of the most basic labourer/engineers would of got these aspects mostly right.

On another note away from this, has any light ever been shed on the claimed 'mobile fallbeil' Reichhart supposedly used?

Pete26

Post by Pete26 » 17 Jan 2017, 18:37

Despite the fact that the Pankrac fallbeil is restored incorrectly to this day, what makes Pankrac execution room unique is that this is the only preserved fallbeil execution site in the world that still displays the original fallbeil actually used there (at least the vertical frame, sledge and blade are authentic.) And it is the only execution site that still displays the original rough wooden caskets used to transport beheaded bodies to Strasnice crematorium. They were varnished to preserve them, but otherwise they are all original. If somebody took an initiative to accurately restore the Pankrac fallbeil to its orriginal specs, the site would be even more authentic. Another site that still displays its fallbeil is Brandenburg-Gorden, but the fallbeil displayed there is a Mannhardt, and the original Brandenburg-Gorden fallbeil was a Tegel.

The most inaccurate "fallbeil display" is in the Vienna Landesgericht former execution room where they have a full size photo of a wooden stage prop "fallbeil" and it is displayed there to this day fooling visitors into believing that this is a photo of the actual fallbeil.

I am of opinion that Vienna fallbeil was also dismantled just before Vienna was liberated and its wooden parts and winch destroyed. It was then restored using the restored Pankrac fallbeil as an example, as photos of "restored" Pankrac fallbeil appeared in the news shortly after WWII ended.

Pete26

Execution of Bedrich Kozlik and his wife

Post by Pete26 » 19 Jan 2017, 06:38

The following article provides chilling information about execution of Bedrich Kozlik and his wife in Pankrac prison by beheading on 28 April 1944 at 1611 and 1612 hours, respectively.

http://pribram.kscm.cz/article.asp?them ... item=86853

Some new and more detailed information is included, such as:

1. Beheaded bodies were placed into a wooden tub immediately after execution and carried into the morgue next door

2. In the morgue room beheaded bodies were dumped out of the tub, blood from the tub poured into the drain, and bodies were placed around centrally located floor drain in the morgue with the necks next to the drain and heads placed between the legs. They were arranged in a star pattern around the drain and remained bleeding for about two hours.

3. The guillotine was hosed down after each execution, but also a bucket full of water stood ready and that was also dumped onto the guillotine to wash away the blood (buckets full of water were also used to clean French guillotine in multiple beheadings).

4. The weight of the blade/sledge is given as 65 kg.

5. The rough wooden caskets were lined with saw dust to absorb the blood. The caskets were supposedly reused after the remains of the executed were cremated and new saw dust thrown in.

6. The executioner Alois Weiss was paid 40 Reichsmarks for the first execution, then 30 Reichsmarks for each remaining execution that day. He also received a fixed salary of 3000 Reichsmarks a year on top of that. He lived in an apartment in Prague vacated by a Jewish family which was deported, and his monthly rent was 35 Reichsmarks.

7. The official exchange rate was 1 Reichsmark = 10 Czech crowns, although in reality the buying power of both was about the same in the Protectorate of Bohemia nd Moravia. Of course, only Germans (and perhaps their collaborators) were paid in Reichsmarks, which gave them a tremendous buying power over Czechs.

8. Both the fallbeil and morgue floor drains were tied into the prison toilet sewer system.

9. The prisoners in surrounding cells counted the impacts of the guillotine blade to determine how many people were executed that day. (This was also mentioned in the recently posted article about Vienna executions).

http://pribram.kscm.cz/data2/dep_35/03_Kozlik.jpg

http://pribram.kscm.cz/data2/dep_35/04_Kozlikova.jpg
Last edited by Pete26 on 19 Jan 2017, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

fredric

Post by fredric » 19 Jan 2017, 07:44

Such a sad subject. But this forum's members reveal important information. I wonder if
Dr. Evans or others accesses what we know.
Bois de Justice, the best in his field, could tell you that the protocol was two buckets.
In Germany, a hose was used. The Germans were precise about a pristine execution chamber or
even when an axe was used in the 1930's.

svenga

Post by svenga » 24 Jan 2017, 19:20

Does anybody know if the 'Dachs' book is available in english yet, or know of a translation?.

A list of books in english specifically on third reich executions (via fallbeil) or Sharfrichters would be appreciated. I currently only have beheaded by Hitler and Roberts book. The rest of my education on the subject is from here, online, and ofcourse teachings from Fredric and Mr Anderson and a few vanished names.

Like Fredric, I am intruiged by the crude character 'Röttger' and would really like to read the Dachs book on Johann many refer to.

Sven.

svenga

Re: Tegals - Vienna & Pancraz

Post by svenga » 30 Jan 2017, 12:57

After discussion with another member and some previous confusion, I have decided to summarise the differences between the Pancraz & Vienna Fallbeil compared to the ‘official’ Tegel design. When I say official design I mean the generic design of fallbeils which were being produced as per drawings by PTK. In the initial early stages it is very probable a handful of machines varied (prototypes as such), and many had improvements made by Sharfrichters and individual prison workshops. However, the actual design if studied is generally identical every time with the Tegal. I will add, the subcontract manufactured machines (those built by external workshops away from Tegel) have been noted to have a superior build quality, neater construction, neater finish. But again, to the same design.

Lets be reminded, there is no such thing as a ‘tegelette’ nor mobile fallbeils. The term Tegelette is one we have created on this forum to categorise the two famous restored fallbeil (due to there thin smaller structure). Johann did not have a smaller design fallbeil which he drove from site to site, but he did transport a very well known Mannhardt from site to site during the earlier times (via rail – heavy truck). There is only TWO regular designs used in the third reich (bar the odd balls and pre war wooden machines)

Tegel & Mannhardt.

Tegel being the actual third reich fallbeil!.

Below is a list of components I believe are original on both the Pancraz & Vienna fallbeil, as we are aware both had attempts at being destroyed during the closing days. During these attempts components were lost/destroyed and replaced with early restoration, restoration I can only describe as extremely poor. Wether this was due to lack of materials and knowledge or pressure against time, and possibly a mix of different workmanship we will never know. This however, is another aspect entirely.

Original components:

Schlitten (slide/sledge) – Vienna’s example seems slightly more rough and possibly had repair welds, but I am confident in thinking it is the original.

Blade (not my strong point, but again I feel confident in saying these are genuine blades wether used examples or spares)

Slides/uprights – Some have suggested the slides are replacements, upon studying various known images and private images I have concluded they are original. What makes them look different? The fascia/cover plates are missing from the sides, the fixing holes are still all present. Note the
head basin fixings are still present on both examples (all Tegel have the same brackets)

Winch front plate – both examples have what is left of the winch, the front mounting plate. Viennas has had the head strap adjusting rod re-welded (crudely). And both have had a replacement ‘drum’ winch fitted.

Top cross bar & release mechanism – pictures are scarce of this aspect, but they both look identical to the majority of tegel designs. Wether individual components within the crossbar have been replaced I could not say but again safe to say the majority will be original.

Winch hook – Both appear authentic, although Vienna have a habbit of using there example incorrectly when displayed.

Below is a list of replaced components..

Bench – Both have had replacement bench’s - Pancraz has had x2 replacement bench – Vienna possibly copied the second generation Pancraz bench. Either way both bench’s are incorrect in design, shape, and wood type.

Front legs – both machines have no front stout legs as such, they have had steel brackets added as an extension onto a set of base brackets affixed to a large slab or wood at the base.

Head basin – both have had replacement head basins, both appear to be galvanised, both are completely incorrect in design, Vienna’s example being the worst. Both are fitted too low on the lower slide fixing brackets.

Lunnette – upper & lower have been replaced – Pancraz have ‘doubled up’ in thickness (not sure on Vienna), the cut out is circular opposed to oval.

Release mechanism – both examples have a level which is pulled up connected to a steel cable attached to the release pin, Tegel designs specify a pull rod which is pulled down and activates a lever which then pulls the release pin.

Blood chute – Pancraz have fitted a large ‘witches finger’ for a blood chute, now we have seen a variation in blood chute design I must admit, but nothing as extreme as the pancraz example.

What I have listed above is the main aspects, I have possibly missed some components and key areas (please feel free to advise and comment).

One aspect of the Pancraz fallbeil often commented on is the rubber shock absorbers, I believe these were fitted post war if not late war (Gordon once commented Weiss was perhaps sick of the sound).. We have countless accounts of the single large thud being heard by inmates within the cells, the rubber absorbers remove this violent thud and replace it with a handful of return bounces. These were NOT fitted via Tegel design nor fitted when new, simple stock tubes with leather/felt were the regular design.

I hope this helps clear some confusion for newer members and researchers. To be concluded.

fredric

Post by fredric » 30 Jan 2017, 18:35

Winches from my research were a purchased component, not part of the original fabrication. Hence, the types of winches could
vary. I used a similar winches to lift heavy die sets in a company where I worked.

The self-releashing hooks I believe are of two designs: the weighted hook on the Mannhardt and the Tegel's smaller weighted hook which releases as it presses against a rubber roller and by weight.

The heavy schlitten really packs a punch. I cannot imagine the felt/leather shocks lasted very long and would have become
rotten with the water/blood. A problem was that the fallbeile,when stored in an unheated building, would freeze. In the winter,
they had to be thawed. Execution rooms had stoves partly for this reason (see Posen) but others did not. This is reported as a problem
at Brandenburg-Gordon.

The rubber shocks are unique to Pancraz in my opinion.

Pete26

Pankrac fallbeil restoration errors

Post by Pete26 » 01 Feb 2017, 04:45

I have posted this some time ago:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... l#p1892750

From the post war restoration photos I found, no less than three different bench tops were used on the Pankrac fallbeil over the years and all are incorrect. The first one is a very wide, thin and flat top, wider than the vertical fallbeil frame. This is the one shown in the Zaluji book photos. Then, several years later, in the photo showing Russian press members standing around the fallbeil, there is a different bench top shown, the one most closely resembling the original. This one is narrower, thicker, and flat. The final bench top, which was attached at some unknown time after the WWII, is concave on top along its entire length, which is wrong. Original Tegels had bench tops with a concave portion only in front of the lunette. On some Tegel fallbeil bench tops, it is a V shaped notch to facilitate the flow of blood. The rest of the bench top is flat, thick and narrow, the same width as the lunette. And of course, the rear legs on the restored fallbeil are too thin, as the original legs were stout wooden legs.

There is one other feature on the original Tegel fallbeil lunette opening that was not mentioned here to date. If you look at the first two of the Dresden fallbeil photos, you can see that the eliptical lunette opening is beveled on the bench side of the opening only, but not beveled on the head basket side. The sharp edge on the other side would cause the condemned prisoner serious discomfort if he tried to pull his head out of the locked lunette.

From the Dresden fallbeil photos you can also see that there is a sheet metal cover with two square openings hiding the blade release mechanism inside the upper crosspiece. This original equipment cover is of course missing on both Pankrac and Vienna restored fallbeils.

I have concluded that the Vienna fallbeil was most likely restored using improperly restored Pankrac fallbeil as a model, as Zaluji book had photos of it published in 1946. Too many incorrect features are so similar on both that I believe that one had to be used as an example for the other.

The vertical metal frame, sledge and the blade on the Pankrac fallbeil are definitely authentic. I noticed the wrong spacing of the horizontal "rungs" on the Vienna fallbeil sledge, but this is perhaps due to an error while rewelding the sledge. it was possibly cut up when the fallbeil was dismantled sometimes before Vienna liberation. So the sledge and blade on the restored Vienna fallbeil is most likely authentic too. An authentic blade holes would still line up with the holes on the modified sledge because the only spacing that counts is the correct spacing between the the upper and lower rung. The blade would be mounted a little lower relative to the top of the sledge due to wrong spacing between the upper rung and the sledge upper crosspiece.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1886804

All original Tegel fallbeil winches are reduction gear winches. Gear reduction reduces the force necessary to turn the crank to raise the sledge in the same proportion as the gear ratio. The penalty of course is that proportionally more turns of the crank are required.
Reduction gear hand crank operated winches are common on boat trailers.

Fredric, your comment on the fallbeil sledges freezing in cold weather is interesting. Maybe they squirted hot oil onto the frame/sledge sliding surfaces to loosen the frozen sledge? I do not know what kind of heating system they had in Pankrac prison execution complex, but it was most likely steam radiators, which are no longer there. So freezing of the sledge to the frame would not be a problem in Pankrac prison. I can see freezing being a real issue on outdoor fallbeils, such as Dresden and Stuttgart fallbeils. You also mentioned that Stuttgart Mannhardt fallbeil front wooden base was completely soaked in oil.

Does anyone know the purpose of the thick metal pins sticking out of the ground around the Dresden fallbeil? Note that there is no drain provided in front of the fallbeil and the blood chute is strangely bent.

Pete26

List of executed prisoners in Ploetzensee on the night of 7 to 8 September 1943

Post by Pete26 » 03 Feb 2017, 13:09

These 165 prisoners were hanged, not beheaded because the guillotine was damaged and could not be used. 8 prisoners were hanged at a time. There is a lot of Czech names on that list, among them Julius Fucik.

I assume these hangings went on all night long for at least 10 hours. They could hang maybe 16 prisoners per hour? I assume they had to leave them hanging for at least 20 minutes to ensure they were dead, then it would take some time to remove the bodies and hose down the floor. These were simple suspension hangings with very little drop so the neck was not broken and prisoners strangled to death. Those who became unconscious quickly due to constriction of carotid arteries and Vagal reflex suffered least. Using a thin hanging rope probably hastened the death of the condemned. Electricity was out due to recent bombing of the prison and the executions were conducted by candlelight.

Hermann Vogt

Alfred Krüger

Alfred Noack

Hans Heinrich Festersen

Ernst Hirning

Fritz Lemme

Friedrich Riemann

Willem Ekhart

Jaroslav Matyas

Zdenek Hajek

Kurt Grossmann

Walter Kleebaum

Heinrich Optl

Ernst Karl Plaeger

Karlrobert Kreiten

Eberhard Loof

Robert Neumann

Engelbert Steiner

Johann Svarc

Frantisek Rozanek

Josef Broul

Alois Till

Josef Picko

Charles Ganty

Josef Misak

Josef Hanak

Antonin Coufal

Jan Sorm

Stefan Jurana

Milos Klejch

Frantisek Zebloudil

Martin Israel Kochmann

Felix Israel Heymann

Heribert Israel Budzislawski

Vaclav Skranka

Frantisek Sedo

Kurt Gröbe

Vojtech Vrnata

Josef Sulc

Frantisek Helwin

Karel Novy

Josef Stanek

Antonin Stovicek

Josef Snep

Jan Vycpalek

Alexander Sara

Milos Balcar

Frantisek Zilina

Jan Klima

Josef Spalek

Willi Grothe

Bruno Schulzeck

Marius Carpentier

Paul Liebke

Kurt Gersing

Adam Kapic

Alois Hora

Johann Kozlowsky

Richard Scheer

Alexej Nemec

Stanislav Opocenski

Frantisek Hudec

Johann Podracky

Jaroslaw Pospisil

Wenzel Jiskra

Adalbert Masek

Josef Zerovnicky

Emil Uher

Karl Popelka

Karl Nesnidal

Karl Prokop

Alexander Lauer

Josef Brosio

Jean Agnello

Maurice Polspoel

Roger Ramousset

Aleksei Kamynin

Michael Kalugin

Kasimierz Kaluczny

Maurice Martina

Emile Bouchage

Georges Pardonce

André Salan

André Chantier

Henry Comte

Hervé Paulmier

René Pusset

Charles Hautenns

Maurice Tessier

Georget Pardonce

Hermann Wolff

Alfred Althus

Eugene Croze

Mathias Liska

Adolf Schmutzer

Franz Blauensteiner

Anton Menich

Hinrich Lochner

Josef Mikesch

Ernst Terkola

Johann Konieczko

Wilhelm Mikosch

Edmund Zajnert

Julius Fucik

Jaroslav Klecan

Karel Evald

Miroslav Posadowsky

Josef Hrubes

Gustav Andres

Vaclav Jasanovky

Wladimir Taibl

Wladimir Lamka

Jerri Holy

Vaclav Hampeis

Vaclav Novotny

Josef Zicha

Josef Benes

Karel Modr

Wladislaw Chvatal

Jaromir Tregler

Frantisek Simer

Wilem Hlinka

Karel Hradecky

Frantisek Hanek

Otto Kral

Vaclav Klaus

Karel Pikno

Otto Frömpter

Miloslav Svoboda

Josef Mifek

Ondrej Straka

Jan Kominek

Frantisek Zizlavski

Alois Dobrenski

Rudolf Hallmeyer

Rudolf Scheffel

Felix Tucholla

Richard Hinkelmann

Kurt Bietzke

Alois Aubrecht

Ludwik Kodytek

Josef Faltus

Walter Schopf

Emil von Jablonowski

Alois Matyas

Wilhelm Schürmann-Horster

Wolfgang Thiess

Eugen Neutert

Antonin Kulicka

Ferdinand Malina

Josef Oliva

Johann Weil

Ladislav Lukes

Bedrich Jetonicky

Franz Przeczewski

Wenzel Aubrecht

Theodor Hespers

Johann Michalek

Robert Romann

Heinz Zuchareba

Julis Seidel

Franz Svura

Bohuslav Skolar

Louis Berta

Petrus Willeart

Louis Walgrave

Jan Baptiste Dieltiens

Augustinus Beutels

http://karlrobertkreiten.de/nachruf/nam ... hteten.php

history1
Banned

Re: Bodies in the basement

Post by history1 » 03 Feb 2017, 19:33

Pete26 wrote:[...] The photograph (graphic) in the linked article above shows an actual body (guillotined or shot) being autopsied. The top of the skull is removed and the brain is exposed.[...]
AFAIK, the photos shows a victim of August Hirt from the Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp. They were gassed, not shot or guilotined.
http://www.die-namen-der-nummern.de/index.php/en/

Pete26

Re: Bodies in the basement

Post by Pete26 » 05 Feb 2017, 16:08

history1 wrote:
Pete26 wrote:[...] The photograph (graphic) in the linked article above shows an actual body (guillotined or shot) being autopsied. The top of the skull is removed and the brain is exposed.[...]
AFAIK, the photos shows a victim of August Hirt from the Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp. They were gassed, not shot or guilotined.
http://www.die-namen-der-nummern.de/index.php/en/
Thanks for clarification. According to an article I read recently, heads were the most used body parts in dissection experiments by Nazis.

Pete26

Executions in Leipzig

Post by Pete26 » 06 Feb 2017, 02:20

After the Dresden fallbeil was moved to Leipzig in early 1960's, 34 people were beheaded with it. The executioner was Walter Boettcher and he was paid 100 Marks per execution. Because more and more fallbeil malfunctions occurred, in the late 1960's East Germany abandoned beheading and adopted shooting in the back of the head as the execution method. 29 people total were shot in this manner by the new executioner Hermann Lorenz until abolition of the death penalty in 1987. Hermann Lorenz received 150 Marks for each execution. He used a Walther P38 pistol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P38

Pete26

Post by Pete26 » 06 Feb 2017, 06:19

fredric wrote:Stuttgart had a Mannhardt, one of the six built. It was set up outdoors, dismantled and stored. I have not seen a report that Stuttgart received a Tegel. The machine was worked by Reichhart who was very critical of the prison about its maintenance and setup. He demanded that a podium be built for it and it was. Later a concrete pad was poured but it continued to be used outdoors. By 1940, the prison and Reichhart were aware the constantly oiled, disassembled and reassembled fallbeil was suffering. The base was reported to be brittle "like glass" from the oil.
Still the volume of executions was increasing as victims were transported to Stuttgart from locations outside including Alsace. Daily bombing made outdoor executions difficult and the prison was overcrowded. A new execution room, indoors, was too costly and officials then moved executions to Bruchsal. A "new" fallbeil, based upon the Mannhardt design (and pictured on this forum topic) was obtained. By this time Reichhart had been removed from Stuttgart and replaced by Hehr. What happened to the Stuttgart fallbeil is a mystery but I sense it was destroyed when the prison was bombed.
In this article it is mentioned that the Stuttgart Courthouse where fallbeil executions took place, was largely destroyed in a bomb attack on the night from 12th to 13th September 1944. The execution process was not stopped and transferred to Bruchsal. There is no mention of what happened to the fallbeil. According to the execution list, the last fallbeil execution took place on 11 September 1944 and the executed prisoner was Heinrich Duhme.
Bei einem Bombenangriff in der Nacht vom 12. auf 13. September 1944 wurde das Justizgebäude in der Urbanstr. 20 weitgehend zerstört. Die Gerichte wurden in der Nähe notdürftig untergebracht. Die Hinrichtungsmaschinerie wurde nicht gestoppt, sondern nach Bruchsal verlagert. Mit der Zerstörung des Justizgebäudes sowie des Prinzenbaus am Schillerplatz gingen die Akten und sonstiges Archivmaterial des OLG Stuttgart verloren. Unter anderem deshalb wurde der Vorsitzende des Sondergerichts Cuhorst im Nürnberger Juristenprozess aus Mangel an Beweisen freigesprochen (Militärgerichtshof Nr. III Fall Nr. 3; Urteil vom 3./4.12.1947, Besonderer Teil, Der Angeklagte Cuhorst). Erschwert ist dadurch auch eine eingehende Erforschung der Rolle der NS-Justiz in Stuttgart, die bis heute aussteht.
http://www.olg-stuttgart.de/pb/,Lde/1178236

Bruchsal supposedly received its all metal Mannhardt lookalike fallbeil already in May of 1944, so there is no possibility that parts of damaged Stuttgart Mannhardt were used in its construction. The timeline simply does not support this theory.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”