Japanese War Crimes

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.

durb

Re: Japanese War Crimes

Post by durb » 12 May 2014, 12:58

Felix C wrote:After reading Iris Chang's book about the Nanking Massacre in 1937 I hope the units involved were sufficiently bloodied in the next few years of fighting thru 1945 that few of the original offenders were left standing.
I have also read Iris Chang´s book, which was very emotional and shocking. However, Chang´s book has been later challenged later by pointing out quite many mistakes in it. However there is no denial that a large-scale killing, raping and looting took place in Nanking on 1937. But I would see it only as a one of many similar incidents during the Sino-Japanese war 1937 - 1945.

It has been pointed out that the Chinese Civil War and Mao´s blunders like Great Leap caused much more death than Japanese Armed forces did. However, in my opinion in no way means that the officers and soldiers of Imperial Japanese Army should be considered as "soldiers who only did their duty" when it comes to something like Nanking Incident. There has been debate if the actual number of victims were 40 000 or 200 000 but this in my opinion is less important. More important is the nature of the actions of Imperial Japanese Army in Shanghai and in other similar incidents during the war against China and during the Pacific war.

It has been stated, that Japanese culture or bushido codes explained these actions at least partly. It is always easy to lean to cultural relativism, which explains and justifies almost everything. Should we think that sadism and cruelty were integral parts of Japanese culture and totally understable/justified in it´s context? In my opinion such statement does not make justice to Japanese people.

Maybe the most interesting character in Nanking Incident/Massacre 1937 was German John Rabe. For what I have read he saved more lives than Oskar Schindler, who is much more known due to Spielberg´s film. There is a German film of John Rabe (2009), but it is (of course) much less known than Spielberg´s "Schindler´s List". John Rabe was a active member of Nazi party, but in my opinion he deserves as much attention for his humanitarian actions as Oskar Schindler.

PF

Post by PF » 21 Nov 2014, 22:39

flavian

Re: The murder of Lt Colonel Arthur Key

Post by flavian » 03 Aug 2015, 00:23

[quote="Peter H"]Lt Colonel Arthur Key commanded the Australian 2/14th Battalion at Kokoda in 1942.

After the battle of Isurava Key and his Battalion HQ Staff were cut off and finally captured after 10 days of trying to escape the enemy.They were taken to Buna.

I am the great nephew of Pte W.Maurice Greenwood (vx36347) who was with Lt Col Key and the 8 others when ambushed, which subsequently turned into groups of 6 and 4. There is no concrete evidence what happened to the 5 with key, as although there were reports (from interrogated Japanese Soldiers for War Crimes) that Key was captured, and there was an excerpt from Lt Hirano's Diary mentioning captured soldiers with Key, there is no indication who they were. I have done years of research and still feel like I have only touched the edges of what may have happened and I am interested to hear from anyone who has done research on this topic or relatives of the missing men. The solider to see them last recalls looking back as he was running and recalls seeing 3-4 men fall to the ground. This is by no means and indication that they were shot or killed.. but the likelihood is capture or death. I believe the diary reports were from around Sept 10th and this event would have been several days prior. So while there are rumours and speculation, there is no certain evidence of how or when the died. But for Key, there is more evidence for his passing away as a prisoner, than there is of execution.

manfredzhang

Post by manfredzhang » 21 May 2021, 14:47

durb wrote:
12 May 2014, 12:58
Felix C wrote:After reading Iris Chang's book about the Nanking Massacre in 1937 I hope the units involved were sufficiently bloodied in the next few years of fighting thru 1945 that few of the original offenders were left standing.
I have also read Iris Chang´s book, which was very emotional and shocking. However, Chang´s book has been later challenged later by pointing out quite many mistakes in it. However there is no denial that a large-scale killing, raping and looting took place in Nanking on 1937. But I would see it only as a one of many similar incidents during the Sino-Japanese war 1937 - 1945.

It has been pointed out that the Chinese Civil War and Mao´s blunders like Great Leap caused much more death than Japanese Armed forces did. However, in my opinion in no way means that the officers and soldiers of Imperial Japanese Army should be considered as "soldiers who only did their duty" when it comes to something like Nanking Incident. There has been debate if the actual number of victims were 40 000 or 200 000 but this in my opinion is less important. More important is the nature of the actions of Imperial Japanese Army in Shanghai and in other similar incidents during the war against China and during the Pacific war.

It has been stated, that Japanese culture or bushido codes explained these actions at least partly. It is always easy to lean to cultural relativism, which explains and justifies almost everything. Should we think that sadism and cruelty were integral parts of Japanese culture and totally understable/justified in it´s context? In my opinion such statement does not make justice to Japanese people.

Maybe the most interesting character in Nanking Incident/Massacre 1937 was German John Rabe. For what I have read he saved more lives than Oskar Schindler, who is much more known due to Spielberg´s film. There is a German film of John Rabe (2009), but it is (of course) much less known than Spielberg´s "Schindler´s List". John Rabe was a active member of Nazi party, but in my opinion he deserves as much attention for his humanitarian actions as Oskar Schindler.
Do you know how the Chinese dealed with their own citizens?

If they don't value their own people's lives, why would the Japanese?

When you study history, you have to put yourself in the context of the history and not using modern moral standard to judge the actions in that time.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”