Murder of an airman in Italy (Italian Fascists) Ariano Polsi

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Peter
Financial supporter

Murder of an airman in Italy (Italian Fascists) Ariano Polsi

Post by Peter » 25 Apr 2004, 18:09

PLEASE can anybody identify a war crimes trial - I am told that his father was present when the murderers were convicted.

On 29th August, 1944, Sergeant Arthur BANKS RAF a fighter pilot was shot down in the Ravenna and Ferrara area. He made contact with a group of Italian partizans and fought the Germans.

Early in December, 1944, an attempt at crossing into allied territory by boat was planned. Sergeant Banks and the whole party were surrounded and captured. Sergeant Banks was handed over to the German commander of the district, who presided at his interrogation. During the questioning, he was tortured.

On 8th December, 1944, Sergeant Banks was taken, with a number of partizans, to a prison at Adria. He remained there until 19th December, 1944, when he was handed over to the commander of a detachment of the "Black Brigade". He was then transferred to another prison at Ariano Polesine. Here he was again tortured. Sergeant Banks was eventually bound and thrown into the River Po. Despite his wounds, even at this stage, he succeeded in reaching the river bank. The Fascists then took him back to the prison, where he was shot through the head.

thanks
Pete

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 26 Apr 2004, 07:21

Iltis -- I re-read my notes from the London and New York Times and couldn't find any reported allied war crimes trial I thought would be identifiable with the atrocious murder of Sgt. Arthur Banks GC. I wish I could have been more helpful.

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 26 Apr 2004, 08:03

Thanks David
there are various published accounts which suggest that Bank's father was present at a trial of the Italian fascists who committed the crime but I have to admit I was sceptical of the published data as I'd never managed to trace anything.

cheers
Pete

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 30 Apr 2004, 16:34

Hi, Pete:
the Trial for the murder of Sergeant Arthur BANKS, RAF, in Ariano Polesine, Mesola, December 1944, was held in Naples from 29. August to 25 September 1946 against Major Hugo SAGGAU, Gefr. Georg Joachim GEIGER, Lt. Giovanni BELLINI, Capt. Ugo JANUZZI, Serg. Sergio VIEGI, Serg. Luigi BORDON, Anna Paola CATTANI, Olimpio FERRACINI, Sara TUROLLA, serg. Mario FABBRI, Agent Dino MACCAPANNI.
CATTANI and FERRACINI got sentenced to 20 years, SAGGAU got 8 years, GEIGER and VIEGI 5 years, BELLINI, JANUZZI, TURELLA, BORDON, FABBRI and MACCAPANNI were aquitted.
Sorry, I didn't find anything about the other case. The one I had in mind regarded the murder of major I.P. Wilkinson near Roncegno in March 1945.
Hope this helps
C.G.

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 30 Apr 2004, 22:12

Hugo SAGGAU, Major der Reserve, 53 years old in 1946, an headmaster in civilian life, was the CO of Landesschützen-Bataillon 676 since October 1st 1942. In 1943 he was in Naples, in 1944 in Ancona, then in the Rovigo-Ravenna area.
Best
C.G.

c.g.

Post by c.g. » 02 May 2004, 15:16

The CROWCASS List of June 1948, Part 1, p. 27, lists a BERTOLD Paul, born 1923, "Cpl., on antipartisan duties, Mesola, Ariano Polesine, It. 12.44" wanted by the UK for "Torture". Could this be related to the facts that you are researching?
Best
C.G.

Davide Guarnieri

Research about Arthur banks

Post by Davide Guarnieri » 23 Aug 2006, 09:24

Hello.
Please forgive me for my terrible scholastic english.
I have researched abut Banks since 2002. I colect many documents about his history and now I'm looking for someone who help me to pubblish a book abut him.

Bye

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”