Anne Frank the greatest Dutchman?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Dan

Anne Frank the greatest Dutchman?

Post by Dan » 05 Oct 2004, 04:51

I have two daughers, and what happened to Anne Frank pulls at my heartstrings. But what are your thoughts?
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- A television channel has touched off a debate at the highest levels by proposing Anne Frank as possibly the greatest Dutch person in history -- even though the Jewish teenager, who became a symbol of courage during the Nazi occupation, never had Dutch citizenship.

Members of parliament campaigned over the weekend to grant the young author of the renowned wartime diary posthumous citizenship. But Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk said there is no provision in the law to do so.

Dutch media reported Monday that a majority of the 150 members of parliament's lawmaking Second Chamber from across the political spectrum support granting her citizenship, despite the legal barriers.

The question of posthumous citizenship surfaced when the Dutch television channel KRO listed German-born Anne Frank as one of 202 candidates to become history's greatest Dutchman in a popular vote of viewers.

Viewers have been voting since April, but the citizenship debate only emerged in the press over the weekend.

"We knew she wasn't Dutch. But the (nominating) commission found that she did a lot for the Dutch people and contributed to our country," said KRO spokeswoman Monique Moeskops.

Alexandra Schutte, a former editor of a popular political magazine who is promoting Anne's case in the contest, began lobbying Dutch members of parliament to grant an exception to the rule against giving citizenship to a deceased person, said Moeskops.

But some historians and even the keepers of Anne Frank's legacy agree making her a Dutch citizen nearly 60 years after her death would not alter her place in history. It could also be an unintended denigration of the tens of thousands of refugees who, like Anne's family, fled the Nazi regime but would not receive the same recognition.

Some critics ridiculed the idea of giving her citizenship because of a television program.

Anne Frank was born in Germany in 1929 and came with her family to the Netherlands in 1933. The Franks became stateless when the Nazis stripped all Jews living outside Germany of their nationality.

During 25 months in hiding in Amsterdam, she kept a diary of her innermost thoughts and feelings, among them a wish to become Dutch. The family was captured, and she died at age 15 of typhus at the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp in Germany in 1945, just weeks before the end of the war.

Her father, Otto Frank, the only family member to survive the camps, returned to Amsterdam and took Dutch nationality. The diary, which he published in 1949 and was later translated into dozens of languages, became the first popular account of the Holocaust.

Anne is competing against such historic and current luminaries as the 17th century artists Rembrandt and Pieter Brueghel; William of Orange, the 16th century founder of the dynasty of Dutch monarchs; and a few 20th century sports greats.

"A lot of people have been voting for Anne Frank," Moeskops said. But she would not reveal whether the diarist was likely to be among the 10 finalists to be announced next week.

The Anne Frank House, which runs the museum established in the canal-side house where the Frank family hid in a secret annex, said the question is irrelevant.

"Her legacy is Dutch, she wrote in Dutch, her diary was in Dutch," said spokeswoman Patricia Bosboom. "She was as Dutch as you can be. Giving her citizenship would add nothing."

David Barnouw, of the Dutch Institute for War Documentation, said most of the German Jews and political refugees who fled the Nazi regime expected to return to their homes after the war, and never considered remaining in Holland.

Barnouw ridiculed the notion of granting citizenship for the purpose of a television program, and said it could serve as a precedent for the descendants of other Nazi victims.

"Why should only Anne Frank get citizenship? Are those other people not important enough?" he said.

Barnouw also noted that Anne was not the only non-Dutch citizen on the list. William of Orange, he said, was also German.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/10 ... index.html

Well, I at least learned something. I didn't know William of Orange was German. I wonder if that was true, and if so how many generations of his family was in Holland?

Perhaps Timo will answer?

Regards to the list.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 05 Oct 2004, 22:13

An offtopic post by R.M. Schultz was removed.

/Marcus

_The_General_

Post by _The_General_ » 05 Oct 2004, 22:39

As a Dutchman, I say NO, not for a silly tv show!

_The_General_

Post by _The_General_ » 05 Oct 2004, 22:42

Anne Frank's story did a lot for the world and for the education of children all over the world. But she didn't do mutch for the Netherlands. There are people wo did a lot more.

WalterS

Post by WalterS » 06 Oct 2004, 03:04

I would have to agree. Dutch history is replete with people who advanced the Dutch cause, or advanced science or the arts. Anne Frank's story is a tragic one that brings home the true horrors of what the Nazi regime was all about. I don't think, however, that it necesarily qualifies her as being "The Greatest Dutchman."

Respectfully, I would put forward Christiaan Huygens, the great astronomer, and the great admiral, De Ruyter.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 06 Oct 2004, 11:16

Grammar wise I don't think Anne was a Dutchman. :?

simsalabim

Post by simsalabim » 06 Oct 2004, 11:40

Well, I at least learned something. I didn't know William of Orange was German. I wonder if that was true, and if so how many generations of his family was in Holland?
This is a very difficult question to answer. Formally 'Germany' didn't exist at all and although William 'The Silent' of Orange-Nassau was born in 'Germany', he spent most of his life in the Low Countries.

The noble family of Nassau already had land and positions in the Low Countries from the early Middle Ages. Through marriages and inheritances the family of Orange-Nassau became one of the wealthiest in Western-Europe.

A quick google about William and the Oranges and their links to the Low Countries search found this, that might be helpful:

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/House_of_Orange.

Beppo Schmidt

Post by Beppo Schmidt » 07 Oct 2004, 00:44

This is not to sound insensitive to her tragic fate, but being a victim doesn't qualify you as a great person of your country. I of course am not Dutch, but I would sooner nominate someone who achieved something for the Netherlands.

Topspeed

Post by Topspeed » 07 Oct 2004, 01:27

Was Henry van der Velde a dutch architect ? Rem Koolhaas today is a top architect in Netherlands.

Anne Franks story and her most appealing human caracter makes her a to be one of the most memorable dutchmen for sure.

rgds,

Juke

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 10 Oct 2004, 18:54

A number of fact-free, off-topic and/or opinion posts, including exchanges of religious points of view, were pruned by the moderator.

Eistir

Post by Eistir » 10 Oct 2004, 19:43

David Thompson: A number of fact-free, off-topic and/or opinion posts, including exchanges of religious points of view, were pruned by the moderator.
------------------------
What kind of facts are you waiting from that topic?This is purely opinion topic.

David Thompson
Forum Staff

Post by David Thompson » 10 Oct 2004, 21:30

Eistir -- You said:
What kind of facts are you waiting from that topic?This is purely opinion topic.
Looking at the thread again, I agree. Now that we have the basic information contained in the article, it's time for a padlock.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”