Kriegsmarine Logbooks

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Derekc

Kriegsmarine Logbooks

Post by Derekc » 18 Apr 2015, 11:17

Hi to one and all,

This is my first post and I hope that some of the forum members can help me.

For many years, I have been researching the famous attack by RAF Mosquitoes against the Gestapo HQ in Copenhagen on March 21, 1945.
The KM Cruiser Nürnberg was berthed in Copenhagen at the time of the attack and took part in the defence.

I have a copy of the ship's logbook page from the date and this states that all the AA (Flak) armament was used.

During the attack, several RAF aircraft were hit by flak, two were shot down, a Mustang crashed in the city centre and a Mosquito was forced to ditch in The Sound between Denmark and Sweden. Other aircraft were shot down later over the northern part of Zealand.

According to rumours and in some cases, propaganda, Nürnberg was credited with the destruction of the aforementioned Mustang and Mosquito, however there were several land-based Flak installations in the city that were also in action.

My question is this; would it not be normal practice for the destruction of an enemy aircraft to entered into the logbook?

Thanks,
Derek

igorr

Re: Kriegsmarine Logbooks

Post by igorr » 20 Apr 2015, 03:56

Claims for destroy of enemy aircraft (Abschuss) or for participation in destroing with other ships/land batteries always present in KTB. There was also Abschussmeldung on special blank. If you have only Logbuch, this one may not included data about downed aircrafts.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”