Fate of the German black sea fleet

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
bertamingo

Fate of the German black sea fleet

Post by bertamingo » 07 May 2016, 05:23

Hello people, I am interested to ask about the fate of the German naval units on the black sea:

1st, some German ships were able to escape to Aegean sea, but so far I have only found one, the Lola, which was later scuttled in Aegean. How many other ships were able to escape, and did any of them survive till the end of war?

2nd, the majority of German black sea fleet were withdrawing to Bulgaria where they either scuttled or abandoned their vessels, and the crew attemped retreat to German-occupied Yugoslavia. Did these people managed to retreat or were they captured/killed in the flight? I only know that the crews of submarines were captured by Turkey and the members of the Danube flotilla got out after scuttling their ships at the Iron Gate.

Thanks a lot!

Darius333

Re: Fate of the German black sea fleet

Post by Darius333 » 07 May 2016, 14:33

Hello,

f.e.:
http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/44-08.htm --> look für "Zieb" and you would find more about the Danube-Retreat of the german units (googling will help with more).

Regards

Darius

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 07 May 2016, 18:13

hi,

you may find some more links here http://www.forum-marinearchiv.de/smf/in ... #msg177638

greetings, the pb
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

bertamingo

Post by bertamingo » 08 May 2016, 03:40

Thank you very much for the links! I'll take a good look at these :D

Talisker

Post by Talisker » 01 Jul 2016, 18:31

My grandfather served In Kriegsmarine In Blacksea at Varna. He didnt say to much about the war until the end of his life..but he told me "they" were captured and later on sendt on a death marsh where the skinniest died first. Dont know where or when..but he said also something about Africastationed german soldiers also being amongst them In the camp..dont know how close that Is related or when or how to the retreat.
To bad he Isnt alive so I could ask about the retreat..
As a german ww2 soldier wrote: How can you judge me when you haven´t walked In my shoes?

bertamingo

Post by bertamingo » 02 Jul 2016, 03:09

Talisker wrote:My grandfather served In Kriegsmarine In Blacksea at Varna. He didnt say to much about the war until the end of his life..but he told me "they" were captured and later on sendt on a death marsh where the skinniest died first. Dont know where or when..but he said also something about Africastationed german soldiers also being amongst them In the camp..dont know how close that Is related or when or how to the retreat.
To bad he Isnt alive so I could ask about the retreat..
That experience must not have been easy for him, but glad to know he survived the ordeal.

From what I know, the German black sea fleet ended up like this:
a few auxiliaries were disamed and then passed Turkey into Greek waters as merchant ships.
some riverine vessels were stationed in German occupied areas of Danube in August and thus survived.
3 U-boats were scuttled near Turkish coast, crews captured by Turkey.
100-200 vessels were scuttled near Varna and other places in Bulgaria, and some in Romania, crews went to German-occupied Serbia, don't know if any succeeded, the majority captured by Soviets.
200+ vessels were scuttled near the Iron Gate, crews rescued by German Heer units.
over a dozen vessels were given to Bulgaria moments before she switched sides, then confiscated by Soviets.
several dozen abandoned vessels were captured by Romanian/Soviet forces.

It's a bit surprising to know that soldiers served in Africa were with your grandfather in POW camp. He should have been captured by the Soviets, or firstly by Bulgarians or Yugoslav partisans and then turned over to Soviets. Soldiers captured in Africa were supposed to be held by the western allies. It could have been soldiers served in and then evacuated from Africa, then transferred to the East.

Talisker

Post by Talisker » 06 Nov 2016, 17:11

Thank you and Im also happy he survived..but he always was aware of his history and how they where treated afterwards. Making him abit silent about telling or answering questions.
I agree on the theory of yours of the african soldiers, can't see how else It could fit his history. Also he told about a Norwegian but he didn't place him In his story..just that the Norwegian asked my grandpha: -what do you think they will do to us now? We did so cruel things In the east..

Sad that history leaves with the old ones..so many views and answers lost..
As a german ww2 soldier wrote: How can you judge me when you haven´t walked In my shoes?

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”