WI: Graf Zeppelin class vs Arctic Convoy??

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
ArmchairSamurai

WI: Graf Zeppelin class vs Arctic Convoy??

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 13 Jun 2016, 23:57

Propose Germany had managed to complete two if not three carriers including Graf Zeppelin before the war broke out. Now I understand that the Kriegsmarine would send out surface ships, like the Admiral Scheer or Admiral Hipper for example, as well as U-boats to harass and sink convoys in the Arctic Ocean. However if the carriers had been available, what difference, if any, would the ships had made on the shipment of war materials to the Soviet Union?? Or would the carriers been more effective in the Atlantic? I am eagerly awaiting a response, however I would appreciate some historical context if possible before hand. :D
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

vladalex

Re: WI: Graf Zeppelin class vs Arctic Convoy??

Post by vladalex » 14 Jun 2016, 11:48

"Propose Germany had managed to complete two if not three carriers including Graf Zeppelin before the war broke out. Now I understand that the Kriegsmarine would send out surface ships, like the Admiral Scheer or Admiral Hipper for example, as well as U-boats to harass and sink convoys in the Arctic Ocean. However if the carriers had been available, what difference, if any, would the ships had made on the shipment of war materials to the Soviet Union?? Or would the carriers been more effective in the Atlantic? I am eagerly awaiting a response, however I would appreciate some historical context if possible before hand."

Sorry ArmchairSamurai,
You do not think that is too much "if" in your request ?
We have in this Forum a special Topic named " What if "
I wish you a beautifull day .
VladAlex.

ArmchairSamurai

Re: WI: Graf Zeppelin class vs Arctic Convoy??

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 15 Jun 2016, 04:02

Ah! Thank you. I am rather new to this forum, I will be sure to re-post this where appropriate.
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”