Bismarck "deserters"?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Ro/Lt

Bismarck "deserters"?

Post by Ro/Lt » 14 May 2004, 06:12

I recall reading one of the Bismarck books - can't remember which one - and recall three "deserters" allegedly jumping over board before the ships final battle.
If this is true, who picked them up, was it the Germans and if so what happened to them?
And were there any surviviors picked up by the spanish navy?
Just read the new swedish Bismarck "War at sea" book and there's no mention of either of these two events...

laukana

Re:

Post by laukana » 16 May 2004, 11:08

I've never heard of this story before reading it here but I doubt it happened. I mean, the sailors aboard the Bismarck probably thought the ship was invicible and gave them a feeling of immortality. But of course, it could've happened. And I thought the Royal Navy ship, Prince of Wales, was the primary British vessel taking part in the battle so if anything, it was the aformentioned vessel that rescued the German sailors following the sinking of the Bismarck.

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 16 May 2004, 12:11

Like Ro/Lt I've also read this somewhere, 2-3 guys abandoned ship in some inflatable or carley-float.....picked up by German U-Boat(?) and faced court-marshal. I have my doubts about the story. At OKM request the Spanish navy sent the cruiser CANARIAS and a couple of destroyers to the battle-scene - but whether they rescued anything but corpses I cannot recall. For laukana; the crew of the BISMARCK did in no way feel invincible on the morning of 27.5.41 - the mood had been terrible since the evening before - they all knew that they were 'walking dead'. That night was when the alleged desertion by some men shouldhave taken place.

laukana

Re:

Post by laukana » 16 May 2004, 20:30

I am sorry for the mistake varjag, I humbly withdraw my post.

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 16 May 2004, 23:12

="varjag"]Like Ro/Lt I've also read this somewhere, 2-3 guys abandoned ship in some inflatable or carley-float.....picked up by German U-Boat(?)
There were a few survivors(3?) picked up by a U-Boat some time after the battle, but all the sources I've read state they abandoned the Bismarck at the time of her sinking.

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 17 May 2004, 08:21

The cruiser Canarias picked some survivors, but I dunno how many.

Best regards

Ro/Lt

Post by Ro/Lt » 17 May 2004, 11:51

Found this interesting postbattle report, including a survivor list. Nothing mentioned about any deserters though...

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/c ... _list.html

Kakita Harry

Post by Kakita Harry » 18 May 2004, 12:17

Sorry, stupid post. :oops:

brustcan

Re: Bismarck "deserters"?

Post by brustcan » 18 May 2004, 21:59

Ro/Lt wrote:I recall reading one of the Bismarck books - can't remember which one - and recall three "deserters" allegedly jumping over board before the ships final battle.
If this is true, who picked them up, was it the Germans and if so what happened to them?
Just read the new swedish Bismarck "War at sea" book and there's no mention of either of these two events...

The three seamen, Herbert Manthey, Otto Hontzsch, and Georg Herzog took cover near the end of the battle behind turret Dora. They saw a rubber dinghy, and dragged it behind the turret. A near miss washed the dinghy overboard, and the men were able to swim after it and climb in. U-74 sighted the three men and they were taken onboard. U-48 and U-73 joined the search and found no one alive. The German weathership Sachsenwald arrived on the scene and spent the morning of the 28 May
searching for survivors. Later that night, three red flares were spotted, by the Sachsenwald and two men were brought onboard from a rubber
dinghy, Otto Maus and Walter Lorenzen. On May 30 still in the search area,
the Spanish cruiser Canarias came along side the Sachsenwald. With provisions running low, the Sachsenwald headed home, reaching Gironde
France on June1. The Canarias continued searching and found two bodies, with tags, Walter Grasczak and Heinrich Neuschwander. Both bodies were
given full military honors and buried at sea. Thanks brustcan

Ro/Lt

Re: Bismarck "deserters"?

Post by Ro/Lt » 19 May 2004, 16:00

brustcan wrote:
Ro/Lt wrote:I recall reading one of the Bismarck books - can't remember which one - and recall three "deserters" allegedly jumping over board before the ships final battle.

The three seamen, Herbert Manthey, Otto Hontzsch, and Georg Herzog took cover near the end of the battle behind turret Dora. They saw a rubber dinghy, and dragged it behind the turret. A near miss washed the dinghy overboard, and the men were able to swim after it and climb in. U-74 sighted the three men and they were taken onboard. U-48 and U-73 joined the search and found no one alive. The German weathership Sachsenwald arrived on the scene and spent the morning of the 28 May
searching for survivors. Later that night, three red flares were spotted, by the Sachsenwald and two men were brought onboard from a rubber
dinghy, Otto Maus and Walter Lorenzen. On May 30 still in the search area,
the Spanish cruiser Canarias came along side the Sachsenwald. With provisions running low, the Sachsenwald headed home, reaching Gironde
France on June1. The Canarias continued searching and found two bodies, with tags, Walter Grasczak and Heinrich Neuschwander. Both bodies were
given full military honors and buried at sea. Thanks brustcan
Was there a court martial for "abandoning ships" before the order was given?

Roderick

Post by Roderick » 20 May 2004, 15:47

Once I saw a Bismark documetary on Discovery Channel and mentioned nothing about these "deserters". On the contrary, the captain and crew waited very calm the final battle.

Roderick

brustcan

Bismarck survivors

Post by brustcan » 03 Jun 2004, 22:28

Just came across an interesting wed site that will answer all questions:
http://www.kbismarck.com This has the debriefing reports from the survivors
that were picked up and made it back to German Naval HQ in France.
Cheers brustcan

Sam H.

Post by Sam H. » 04 Jun 2004, 20:57

Another good forum about Bismark can be found at http://www.bismarck-class.dk/forum/index.php

Ro/Lt

Post by Ro/Lt » 11 Oct 2004, 14:31

I found the refference: in Will Bertholds "The sinking of the Bismarck" two deserters are mentioned (although not by name) who abandoned ship before the final battle and then after being picked up by a german sub are questioned by the authorities and later executed for deserting the ship. Howcome this isn't mentioned in any other books?
Regards Ro/lt

redcoat

Post by redcoat » 11 Oct 2004, 21:59

Ro/Lt wrote:I found the refference: in Will Bertholds "The sinking of the Bismarck" two deserters are mentioned (although not by name) who abandoned ship before the final battle and then after being picked up by a german sub are questioned by the authorities and later executed for deserting the ship. Howcome this isn't mentioned in any other books?
Regards Ro/lt
Probably because it didn't happen.
One of the men who was picked up by U-boat was on a TV documentry recently explaining how they escaped from the ship during the final battle.
He looked in very good health for someone who had been shot for desertion :roll:

There are two major problems with this deserting the ship before the last battle.

The first is the Atlantic is a very large and hostile place, the chances that a couple of sailors who abandoned ship on the quiet would be found by anybody is nil (and a sailor would know this).
Secondly how do you abandon ship off a ship which is travelling at 20+knots in a rough Atlantic sea, remembering that anyone in the water would only last an hour or two at the most.

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”