Hooks...?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
PPoS

Hooks...?

Postby PPoS » 06 Nov 2004 17:34

I just saw Below and in the movie a german destroyer uses some kind of hooks (thought it was an anchor first) to damage a sub lying on the bottom. I've never ever heard of this before, neither read or seen anything of it either. It seems strange, wouldn't depth charges be more effective? And did the germans (or any nation) use these kind of "weapons"?

Tomas Ibsen

Postby Tomas Ibsen » 06 Nov 2004 23:53

Hm, never heard of it either, I have although, read that the flyers of WWI sometimes used hooks to trash the enemies planes apart, a pretty easy task, considering the planes were more or less fabric and plywood. Could it be the script-writers who miss-interpeted willingly or unwillingly?

/Tomas

varjag
Financial supporter

Postby varjag » 07 Nov 2004 12:25

I am not good at 'searching' but there was a debate about this many months ago on the forum, prompted by probably the same movie that PPoS has seen - and relating to the Far East I think. The conclusion - as I recall it - was that it's just about impossible to 'fish for submarines with hooks'.

Tomas Ibsen

Postby Tomas Ibsen » 07 Nov 2004 16:41

varjag wrote:I am not good at 'searching' but there was a debate about this many months ago on the forum, prompted by probably the same movie that PPoS has seen - and relating to the Far East I think. The conclusion - as I recall it - was that it's just about impossible to 'fish for submarines with hooks'.

Yea! I think I remember that discussion! :)

I am though, 100% positive about the aeroplane hooks. If I just could remember my sources... :x :? :oops:

/Tomas

PPoS

Postby PPoS » 07 Nov 2004 17:57

Yeah, it seems kinda silly

gabriel pagliarani

Postby gabriel pagliarani » 15 Nov 2004 16:27

PPoS wrote:Yeah, it seems kinda silly

Effectively both German U-booten as Italian subs were equipped with a saw-edged harness from top of the vessel to the periscope outlet. It was conceived as a cutter of net anti-torpedoes. But nobody can say the net was fixed only as in an harbour or pulled by an hunter. :roll: Isn't possible to fish an U-boot? Why?

PPoS

Postby PPoS » 15 Nov 2004 17:34

Hmmm... well, how the heck are you going to fish a submarine with a hook/anchor? It would be really easy to find it even if you had sonar and radar.. You'd have to sweep pretty many times to hit it, and if the sub was on the bottom, you would surely hook onto something else.

gabriel pagliarani

Postby gabriel pagliarani » 16 Nov 2004 21:57

PPoS wrote:Hmmm... well, how the heck are you going to fish a submarine with a hook/anchor? It would be really easy to find it even if you had sonar and radar.. You'd have to sweep pretty many times to hit it, and if the sub was on the bottom, you would surely hook onto something else.

It was an old idea from Archimedes, the Greek genius of Sicily. During 2nd Punic War he destroyed some Roman vessels "triremes" just out the harbour of Syracuse. They were pulled out from water and capsized by mean of hooks and cantilevers. But he was recorded only by mean of the "burning mirrors", the very 1st laser-alike weapon in history. Nothing new under the sun = NIHIL NOVUM SUB SOLE

PPoS

Postby PPoS » 16 Nov 2004 23:33

Cool.. You learn something new every day. But I don't understand why I never have seen or read something like this during WW2? And never seen any pictures of it either.. So, conclusion please...?

gabriel pagliarani

Postby gabriel pagliarani » 17 Nov 2004 08:15

PPoS wrote:Cool.. You learn something new every day. But I don't understand why I never have seen or read something like this during WW2? And never seen any pictures of it either.. So, conclusion please...?

No, Pippo! If I teach you learn, if you teach I learn. Conclusion: during WW2 there were a lot of anti-Torpedoes nets but nobody thought to tether them as ancient greeks evidently did. (Titus Livius wrote about those) Ancient greeks were evidently incredibly advanced in naval warfare respect WW2 contenders. Do you like this conclusion? 8) This is a syllogism, Pippo.

PPoS

Postby PPoS » 17 Nov 2004 13:26

Hehe, you're the first one to call me Pippo :lol:

Well, I meant a conclusion about if hooks were used as anti-submarine weapons during WW2..

And I know that the greeks was very advanced in seaborne warfare, it's pretty fascinating to read about it.

gabriel pagliarani

Postby gabriel pagliarani » 17 Nov 2004 13:49

PPoS wrote:Hehe, you're the first one to call me Pippo :lol:.

It is a nice nickname, " little Joseph". But also the italian equivalent of Goofy, the best friend of Mickey Mouse.

PPoS

Postby PPoS » 17 Nov 2004 13:54

Goofy, thanks! :P :lol:

Alter Mann

Fishing For Submarines

Postby Alter Mann » 17 Nov 2004 16:42

I would suspect that, during WWI, with anti-submarine warfare in its infancy, even theoretically, someone might be willing to try hooks in shallow water. Submarines were causing havoc in the shipping lanes, and I am sure that a number of novel approaches to the submarine problem were tried.

I think I even read a book that mentioned a submarine crew sitting on the bottom and listening to the 'hooks' being dragged over the hull, but I read a lot of fiction, so it might not have ever actually happened to anyone.

As an attempt, based on desperation, to destroy or damage a submarine with the means at hand it doesn't seem so far fetched. No more unlikely than the British 'Great Panjandrum' of WWII fame.

PPoS

Postby PPoS » 17 Nov 2004 19:48

Hmmm.. seem pretty true.. But still I wonder why I have'nt seen any information about this?

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”