Westwall Museums

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Geoff Walden

Westwall Museums

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Jan 2015, 20:52

I will be visiting the area of Pirmasens, Germany. I know there is more than one Westwall museum in that area, and I'd like to know which ones are the best. That is ... if you only had time to visit one of these museums, which one would it be?

ManfredV

Re: Westwall Museums

Post by ManfredV » 23 Jan 2015, 22:36

Hi Geoff,
I only know Pirmasens Westwall museum. It is a small one but worth to see. In Germany we have not many museums and exhibitions of Westwall. Of course most of Westwall was damaged after war. At Maginot line in France there´s much more to see, f.e. Simserhof near Bitche and Four à Chaux near Lembach (close to Wissembourg and Haguenau). In Bitche there´s also the old citadel from 18th century which was sieged by german troops in 1870/71 war. It is a museum with an audio guide tour through the old casemates. In southern Palatinian forest a lot of damaged bunkers can be found. Of course in middle of forest and you must know were they are.
Around Wörth (Alsace) are a lot of old war memorials from 1870/71 war because Wörth was one of the main battles.
Greetings from the Palatinate

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 23 Jan 2015, 22:39

Hi Geoff,
I only know Pirmasens Westwall museum. It is a small one but worth to see. In Germany we have not many museums and exhibitions of Westwall. Of course most of Westwall was damaged after war. At Maginot line in France there´s much more to see, f.e. Simserhof near Bitche and Four à Chaux near Lembach (close to Wissembourg and Haguenau). In Bitche there´s also the old citadel from 18th century which was sieged by german troops in 1870/71 war. It is a museum with an audio guide tour through the old casemates. In southern Palatinian forest a lot of damaged bunkers can be found. Of course in middle of forest and you must know were they are.
Around Wörth (Alsace) are a lot of old war memorials from 1870/71 war because Wörth was one of the main battles.
Greetings from the Palatinate

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 29 Jan 2015, 17:41

Thanks, Manfred!

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”