WW2 Museums in southern Poland?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Copra

WW2 Museums in southern Poland?

Post by Copra » 08 Jun 2006, 11:01

Hi!
I'm new here, but always being interested in WW2 and so on. After couple weeks, I'm going to take a holiday trip to Krakow or Kharkov. Anyway it's city in southern Poland. I also visit in Auschwitch. 8-) There is not very many web pages made from those museums and it's hard to find addresses. I already checked that Axis History List, but there isn't any addresses. Maybe some of you might tell more and give good tips? It's no matter what kind of museum it is, if there is just WW2 stuff. :D

--Copra--

henryk

Post by henryk » 08 Jun 2006, 21:00

Muzeum Armii Krajowe (Polish Resistance Home Army (AK) Museum)
Ul Bosacka 13
31-508 Krakow
http://www.biega.com/museumAK/AKMuseum.html
Housed in a building on a Polish army base, to the north-east of the Main Train Station.
Enter off ul Rakowicka, about 5 blocks north of ul Lubicz.

henryk

Post by henryk » 08 Jun 2006, 21:25

I nearly forgot this one:
The Polish Aviation Museum (Muzeum Lotnictwa Polskiego)
al Jana Pawła II 39 , Krakow
Info in English: http://www.muzeumlotnictwa.pl/
It is located on al Jana Pawła ( the road to Nowa Huta), 4 km east of Old Town. A high monument to the Polish Air Force of WWII is in front . Tram 4, (others also), to stop AWF, which is that past the monument to the left (north).

Copra

Post by Copra » 13 Jun 2006, 20:56

Thank you henryk! I'm not very sure yet, if my trip will happen, but hopefully...

...I can post some pictures to this BBS after my trip.

Copra

Post by Copra » 10 Jul 2006, 16:58

Yes, I'm leaving in 13th day. I think that I'll go to that museum what's near railway station if possible. Planes aren't so interesting I think.

henryk

Re: WW2 Museums in southern Poland?

Post by henryk » 11 Feb 2014, 20:55

http://www.thenews.pl/1/11/Artykul/1617 ... ote]Polish Aviation Museum's international reputation takes flight
PR dla Zagranicy Peter Gentle 11.02.2014 15:05
The Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow, southern Poland, is ranked eighth among the world’s top museums of its kind by CNN Television.
photo - muzeumlotnictwa.pl
The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington is ranked in first place, followed by the Imperial ar Museum in Duxford, UK, and the National Museum of the US Air Force, Ohio, US.
Director of the Polish Aviation Museum, Krzysztof Radwan, has told the Polish Press Agency that he was aware his institution belonged to the leading museums in Europe but the result of the CNN worldwide ranking came as a surprise. “It’s a great honour and a mark of distinction for us,” he said. In his view, the Krakow museum was praised for its vast collection of aircraft from the Cold War period, an interesting collection of engines as well as for its location at what is one of the oldest military airfields in Europe, dating from the end of the 19th century.
Founded in 1963, the Polish Aviation Museum preserves and exhibits aircraft, engines and other items of importance for the world’s aviation heritage. Its collection comprises over 240 aeroplanes, helicopters and gliders.
The CNN ranking marks the 100th anniversary of the first commercial flight. The 23-minute flight, from St. Petersburg, Florida, to Tampa, Florida, took place in a wood and muslin biplane flying boat. (mk/pg) [/quote]

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”