Farthest german advance on moscow?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
trock123

Farthest german advance on moscow?

Post by trock123 » 19 Aug 2008, 19:44

Hello

I ran across a picture once a long time ago depicting the furthest point of the german advance on moscow in 1941. someplace in the outskirts of moscow today with some tank trap sculptures??

i was wondering exactly where this point is today? and if there is any info, pics etc marking where the farthest german unit got to, which unit it was etc??

thanks

K_Pax

Re: Farthest german advance on moscow?

Post by K_Pax » 04 Sep 2008, 01:37

Firstly, these outskirts of Moskow are called KHIMKI. The place here sculptures are is the place of faryhest advance of Germans.
In 1941, that was a "satelite town" of Moscow, neighbouring te capital of Russia.
Now, this place (with a monument) is in Moscow itself - north-western part of the city, close to the road from their major international airport Sheremetyevo-2.
The unit was a recon batallion of some German panzer division - they fought themselves into Khimki, but didn't received support, and after several hours moved back to their lines.

Regards

trock123

Post by trock123 » 04 Sep 2008, 01:59

wow

thanks you so much for the info! i have been searching for that for a long time

do you have any info on the german unit this was? how far from say red square and the kremlin is this?? i had read they could see the spires of moscow from here.

thanks again !

K_Pax

Post by K_Pax » 04 Sep 2008, 10:42

Trock,

Details differ, depending on the source. But generally, all agree, that on December, 2nd, a recon batallion of the 258. infantry division (sorry for the mistake -it was not a tank division) entered Khimki. It's several kms from the Kremlin, but if you consider, that in 40ies most Moscow was covered by low buildings, they could really see the domes(copulas) of the Kremlin towers.
Germans waited for the support till next morning, until they were pushed back by a quick-combined unit of local armed militia supported by several tanks from a reserve company, which was incidentally in the area. There was no large regular units on Russian side in that part of Moscow!
The first person, who passed information about this incident to so-called "Western world", was W.Shearer, an american correspondent of "Chicago Tribune" in Berlin, who wrote a note to his paper.

Regards

K_Pax

Post by K_Pax » 04 Sep 2008, 10:51

Trock,

I've got another info, which may be interesting for you:
Modern Russian historicians indicate, that first German appearance near Moscow (and again from the Khimki direction) took place on....16th of October!
It is said, that a motorized recon platoon of the 62th engineer batallion (it was an independent batallion subordinated directly to an army command) made it to Khimki (not so far as those guys in the December).

But this platoon entered Moscow incidentally, they were far before their batallion, which - respectively - found itself far before other German units. That platoon spent several hours in day time, and than moved back without fighting.

Regards

trock123

Post by trock123 » 04 Sep 2008, 14:08

thank you so much for that, its wonderful to actually finally find out this info that i have been wondering about for so long

i actually found some more good picks of the tank traps and discovered they built an IKEA store right next to them, ugh

so interesting to learn how close the germans actually came to moscow.

thanks again!

Stammerjohan

Post by Stammerjohan » 30 Nov 2008, 23:11

I am trying to get an exact google earth location at pinpoint, but it is difficult as there is no marker, or place "Khimki". But a google earth image of the spot would be nice to see

Stammerjohan

Post by Stammerjohan » 30 Nov 2008, 23:14

OOPS.... scratch that, i did find Khimki. Anymore info on where that spot could be? I would like to post that google earth image

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”