The Recovery of The Fallen in The Halbe Pocket 1945

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Dutto1

The Recovery of The Fallen in The Halbe Pocket 1945

Post by Dutto1 » 09 May 2012, 14:18

Hi AHF,

I thought you all may be interested in this article about a German pensioner who recovers the fallen from the Halbe Forest where the retreating 9.Armee was caught by the Russians in April 1945.

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/may/02 ... onedigger2

Regards

Ron

Moltke44

Re: The Recovery of The Fallen in The Halbe Pocket 1945

Post by Moltke44 » 29 Jun 2012, 22:49

Thanks for posting, phenomenal story. If I ever manage to get lucky and hit the lottery .. this is just the kind of thing I would donate or use some of the money for. We need more men like this guy.

"We identified one soldier awhile back. His 92-year-old widow from Berlin came to the cemetery in Halbe,"" ... Wow ... pretty amazing.

Motch

Re: The Recovery of The Fallen in The Halbe Pocket 1945

Post by Motch » 21 Jun 2015, 04:42

Had the opportunity to visit Halbe and the cemetery last month.. all by accident.
Amazingly touching cemetery and they have put historical markers in certain locations around the (small) town.
Since then, I have started reading up on the battle.
Next year, I will be visiting again but this time, will spend at least a day in the area. Would love to meet up with the gentleman in the above article too.

Always
Motch

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”