War Memorials: What do they mean to you?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
tudordavies

War Memorials: What do they mean to you?

Post by tudordavies » 18 Nov 2013, 18:59

I'm new to the forum and I'd like to ask regular members whether a particular war memorial means anything personally to them? For instance a specific memorial may have sparked an interest in WW2 and your respect for the soldiers that fought.

Here is a good list of UK war memorials for reference (although I know some members may not be based in the Uk):

http://www.warmemorials.org/links-england/

I started to think about this question, because I read the article provided below. It's about a memorial that is currently being erected near my hometown. The idea that miners rose £1 million in 1942 (a significant amount of money even by todays standards) just struck me as worth honouring:

http://www.laserprocess.co.uk/news.asp

South

Re: War Memorials: What do they mean to you?

Post by South » 19 Nov 2013, 10:35

Good morning Tudor Davies,

Welcome to the forum.

A few war memorials I personally relate to.

To this day, after nearly a half century, I keep up with the memorial monuments at the British war cemetary-can't spell-next to Bridge over River Kwai, Thailand, near Burma. Visited the area during R&R, Vietnam War.....

When in charge of one of my small veterans' organizations, I personally worked on the rehab and anniversary celebration of the US Santaego (spelling?) Surrender Tree, the memorial monument in Cuba in re the Spanish-American War. Was in contact with the US Mission in Cuba - via Swiss Embassy. The tree died prior to anniversary date but the fence was painted and grounds well maintained. US Mission send me some nice photos.

A cancelled war memorial monument planned for Nelson, British Columbia, Canada involved my efforts to cancell. Had much help; they were the lead- from my Canadian veterans of the Vietnam War (for every US citizen who left the US for Canada, about 2-3 Canadians joined the US military for Vietnam service.

I personally relate to the war memorial at the Stanley Military Cemetary, Hong Kong. On the morning after the "Handover" from UK to China, I spend the early morning at the cemetary in deep thought and reflection about WWII and those intered at Stanley.

I'm confident you will appreciate the forum and become a "regular".

Again: welcome to AHF !

Warm regards,

Bob

Transmitting from Lord Fairfax's former proprietary colony

bronk7

Re: War Memorials: What do they mean to you?

Post by bronk7 » 21 Nov 2013, 20:25

they should be a reminder of the horror of war, and war should be avoided at all costs....but as we see, that is not the case

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”