Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Reichswehr-Red Army cooperation exposed

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS and Volkssturm.
Hosted by Christoph Awender.

Reichswehr-Red Army cooperation exposed

Postby Zellner on 19 Sep 2012 05:10

Hello, could someone relate to me exactly how the cooperation between the Red Army and Reichswehr was brought to the public? What was the political fallout from such revelations? I heard the Social Democrats raised a stink in the Reichstag, but it quickly blew over. What happened? Why didn't the French or British punish Germany for this breech in the treaty?

Thanks for any info.
Zellner
United States

Re: Reichswehr-Red Army cooperation exposed

Postby pugsville on 19 Sep 2012 05:28

There were some reports in Britain at least about such co-operation, with the disappearing and reappearing of officers, and the likely reason being fight training in Russia. from what I've read there was some knowledge.

Why didnt they do anything? Like what? Occupy part of Germany? Be more hard arse on Germany about reparations? Embargo? There would have been very little public support for any move, and quite a lot of heat for such actions. Before the Nazis, Germany was actively on a number of fronts getting around Versailles, but overall the WW1 Allies were mostly happy enough with Weimar Republics efforts. Germany wasnt a real threat pre-1933 when this was going on, and overall it was "behaving" , sure there were a range of issues (things German wanted changed, things the Allies wanted) but there was no real prospect of Huge re-armament or likely Military solution to issues. Once the Nazi's came in there was huge re-armament and a more realistic threat, but the Red army co-operation was over, everyone had there own domestic crisis (the great depression). Hitlers early actions, Rhineland, Austria, German Military forces , Race Laws, Suppression were all fairly much "internal" issues that would be hard to whip up support for action on.

It didnt particularly warrant action at the time, and even in retrospect I dont see such co-operation as particularly critical.
pugsville
Australia

Postby Zellner on 20 Sep 2012 02:22

Thanks for the info. I am curious about something else that pertains to the Reichswehr-Red Army cooperation. I have read reports of Social Democrats charging Communists of attacking and murdering their members with Soviet firearms. Is this true? Did the Soviets arm and equip the KPD for the street fights?
Zellner
United States

Postby phylo_roadking on 20 Sep 2012 16:37

Why didnt they do anything? Like what? Occupy part of Germany?

Hardly likely after all - given that the French re-occupation of the Rhineland SO decimated the German economy as a sideeffect! :lol:

The French DID however threaten occupation at least twice BEFORE that episode...when Germany didn't keep tp the terms of destroying aircraft and aero industries. Each time germany eventually complied - with various evasions, the hidden agreements around the 1922 Rapallo Treaty of course being among them! :wink:

Then again - what did it really gain them? Look at some of the aircraft designed built and tested during the Lipetsk era - the He51??? :lol:
"People tell me I know damn nothing - I tell them I know damn all!"
phylo_roadking
United Kingdom

Postby Alsaceone on 14 Jan 2013 22:50

Carl von Ossietzky was a newspaper reporter in Germany for the Die Weltbuhne. The newspaper had been covering Germany's secret rearmament program during the 1920's. After von Ossietzky became paper's editor he published an article about the Reichswehr's ties to paramilitary organizations for which he was prosecuted for libel and sentenced to one month in prison. In March 1929 he published an article regarding secret the Reichswehr military training program in the Soviet Union. As a result of this article von Ossietzky was charged with betrayal of military secrets and sentenced to 18 months in Spandau Prison in November 1931.
I recommend reading the first two chapters of Phoenix Triumphant: The Rise and Rise of the Luftwaffe by E.R. Hooton.
Alsaceone
United States

Postby phylo_roadking on 19 Jan 2013 00:59

Also Hanfried Schliephake's "The Birth Of The Luftwaffe".
"People tell me I know damn nothing - I tell them I know damn all!"
phylo_roadking
United Kingdom

Postby Juha Tompuri on 23 Jan 2013 20:19

phylo_roadking wrote: Then again - what did it really gain them?
(Blitzkrieg) tactics, personel and equipment development and training.

Regards, Juha
Last edited by Juha Tompuri on 23 Jan 2013 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding info
Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff
Finland

Return to Heer, Reichswehr & Waffen-SS