The Japanese nuclear weapons program

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
williamjpellas

Re: The Japanese nuclear weapons program

Post by williamjpellas » 24 Feb 2017, 06:11

Here is an article titled, "Was Japan building a nuclear bomb? Notebooks uncovered in Kyoto show how far wartime scientists had got", from the South China Morning Post newspaper. It was published on 1 July 2015 and discusses recently discovered original notebooks from the Japanese Navy's nuclear weapons effort during WWII, known as Project F-Go, which was headquartered at Kyoto Imperial University. The notebooks, dated October and November 1944, were the work of Sakae Shimizu, one of Professor Bunsaku Arakatsu's top lieutenants.

Here's a brief excerpt. Note, once again, the presence of the Asahi Shimbun Japanese newspaper, which has been far and away the most consistent and persistent organ of postwar Japanese media in covering the story of Japan's WWII attempt to build nuclear weapons:

"The documents provide details on the equipment required to separate and enrich Uranium-235, the Asahi newspaper reported, which would have given the scientists the key ingredient for the chain reaction required to achieve nuclear fission.

One of the books has the Japanese words for ultracentrifugal separation written on the cover and includes tables showing the revolutions required to achieve separation and copies of foreign research papers. Other pages provide details on the lengths and diameters or parts required to build a centrifuge.

Historians had previously been unable to confirm research into the construction of a centrifuge took place at the university."

Wilcox mentions construction of at least one Japanese ultracentrifuge during WWII, under Arakatsu. I don't have a copy of Japan's Secret War in front of me at the moment, and so I can't check to see if he definitively tied this effort to Kyoto Imperial University, but I would not be surprised in the least if he did.

This is yet more evidence that there is much more to the story of Japan's WWII nuclear project than the Kuroda Papers describe, important though they are. Note that there are at least two other original notebooks from F-Go known to exist. These are currently held in the US Library of Congress.

Here is a link to the entire article:

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1 ... clear-bomb

williamjpellas

Post by williamjpellas » 24 Feb 2017, 11:04

Of cause Britain was never in the war, it never stood alone for over a year against Nazi Germany. Neither did Britain foster the idea of an atomic weapon or have to cajole the US into taking an interest, and London, Liverpool, Coventry and others where never bombed day and night. (civilian deaths 40,0000.) Fourteen 1000 lb bombs were dropped on my town’s railway works, 51 dead 157 injured not to mention a V2 flying bomb. What where the civilian casualties in America?
The US report on German’s atomic bomb project was a gross distortion until the British Government was persuaded, if not cajoled, by the British Institute of Physics to release the Farm Hall Transcripts for publication. The Japanese atomic bomb project received similar distortions but this time by novelists and so called historians. The Japanese script no doubt perceived as impenetrable compared with German seems to have perpetuated the idea of some dark secret.
In 1945, America having won the war immediately cut off all atomic bomb research with Britain which had then to develop it on its own. It is an example of those ‘special relations’ that are so talked about now!
For some fact it might be worth looking at the Root-Takahira agreement or the Taft-Katsura agreement. Then there is the Paris Peace Treaty of 1919 and the Racial Equality Proposal and then ask what part in the precipitation of the war was America responsible for.

You're grasping at so many straws here and are so incoherent in doing so that it's difficult to know how to respond. But, here's my best effort:

* What, exactly, do British casualties at the hands of German bombing have to do with the Japanese nuclear weapons project?

* You're right: Britain never stood alone. The US was behind her all the way, at least from 1940 if not from the very beginning of the war. William Stevenson's very good book A Man Called Intrepid is just one of many sources that prove beyond all doubt that America was thoroughly involved in supporting and arming Britain for quite some time before Germany officially declared war on the US following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. I've already responded to your incoherent ravings in this regard earlier in this thread. That would be here, with the post that begins, "No 'redemption over the bombing' is necessary or needed": http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... &start=375

Evidently you've forgotten all about that previous conversation. And by the way, I guess you've also forgotten that Great Britain had to sign off on the atomic bombings of Japan, since the UK was an integral partner in the Manhattan Project. That means that Britain bears "guilt" for Hiroshima and Nagasaki along with the United States if you want to play that pseudomorality card (I emphatically do not). But of course and naturally, that somehow escapes your notice. Either that or you think that simply repeating yourself makes you right about things that are plainly false. Ten thousand repetitions equals one truth, or something along those lines, I guess. It's beyond me what you think you are doing, and why, when you make statements like most of what you're saying here. You're just plain delusional.

* What "US report on German's (sic) atomic bomb project was a gross distortion"? Some specifics would help here. I take it that, in your world, the release of the Farm Hall Transcripts by the British Government in 1995 was done specifically to refute the US report? (Egad, those American barbarian wretches are such idiots, so let's all set them jolly well straight, eh wot?) What documentary proof can you offer for that assertion? And, why did the British Government wait nearly 50 years to refute whatever it is you're talking about here? If you are referring to Samuel Goudsmit's book Alsos, have no fear. I don't give it much credence, either, but in my case it's because I've seen a number of declassified WWII documents that in some cases are somewhat at variance with Goudsmit's strident desire to smear wartime German science as inferior and incompetent.

* By "the Japanese script" I assume you mean, their language, which few in the West have mastered. There is no dark secret. What there is, is a great deal of documentary evidence proving beyond any reasonable doubt (note the term "reasonable") that Japan had a considerable nuclear weapons research and development project throughout World War II, and that Japan was trying very hard to build and deploy its own atomic bombs. There is admittedly not nearly as much hard evidence that Japan succeeded, ie, whether there really were one or two partially successful test detonations or not. But whether it is ultimately possible to conclusively prove or disprove David Snell's news story (and also what's in certain OSS files), there is still a very important historical mystery to investigate and document.

* Yes, the US kicked Britain out of the Manhattan Engineer District right after WWII, and yes, the UK went on to engineer and develop its own atomic and later, thermonuclear weapons. And, this has....what....to do with the WWII Japanese nuclear weapons projects, and how the US investigated and responded to them? By the way, where was the UK in all of this? Great Britain still had a worldwide empire at the end of WWII and had been heavily involved in fighting Japan in the China-Burma-India theater and was preparing to join the amphibious assault against the Japanese Home Islands, but British intelligence knew nothing at all about what Japan was doing? Oh, that's right. It doesn't matter anyway because Japan's WWII nuclear R&D is all a bunch of made up hooey by American "novelists", no matter how many sources I and others post here and elsewhere. Other than the Kuroda Papers translations you've posted, it's difficult to take you seriously, genro, I mean, it really is. You're all over the map.

* Root-Takahira? That was part of the US-brokered peace between Russia and Japan that ended the Russo-Japanese War in 1905. Part of which was the tacit agreement by the US to let Japan keep Korea, which it ultimately turned into a powerful military-industrial fiefdom. Massive hydroelectric plants provided power for Jun Noguchi's factories and other facilities that were ultimately part of the Japanese end of war nuclear effort. So, I guess that had some connection to Japan's atomic quest, but I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

* The Paris Peace Treaty of 1919? You mean, the Treaty of Versailles? Yes, Japan was really bent out of shape by not getting as big a seat at the table of the victorious Allies as she had hoped, but I think it was the subsequent Washington Naval Treaty of 1922 that really hacked her off. I guess Britain had nothing to do with either of those treaties, though, right? I would ask what it is you "think" you're "proving" here, but there's no point. You're just regurgitating all of the 1960s university leftist talking points and spouting whatever else it is that's close at hand that you think makes the US look bad. You'll have to try a lot harder than this.

* As for the Racial Equality Proposal, yet again you offer nothing but the standard Marxist narrative. And once again, you exempt your own nation, Britain, from criticism even though Britain was at least as responsible for the defeat of that proposed addition to the Treaty of Versailles as the United States was. So, let's cut to the chase. I emphatically reject the notion that the Racial Equality Proposal was somehow the cause of the Pacific War. In any case it certainly didn't "cause" Japan's own imperialist ambitions and genocidal policies. Oh, wait. I guess Japanese objectification of Chinese as "blocks of wood" unworthy of life, that was America's fault, right? Along with the Rape of Nanking? What about Japanese racism towards other Asians, like Koreans and Okinawans? Silly me, that was all because of the US, too, since the US "forced" Japan to do all that. And of course we all know those evil, racist Anglos more than had it coming. That's why Japan was "justified" in murdering hundreds of thousands of POWs, enslaving hundreds of thousands more, raping tens of thousands of sex slaves, and on and on and on. Right? That is totally asinine and completely absurd. Japan has more than enough blood on its hands solely through its own doing. The idea that somehow Japanese atrocities in WWII are the fault of the United States is pure sophistry and leftist propaganda.

lazycat1984

Post by lazycat1984 » 02 Mar 2017, 21:57

Check out Joseph Farrell's "Reich of the Black Sun" for a good discussion of German super weapons with some side discussion on Japan's part in the thing. The Japanese were capable technologically of making atom bombs. Their real problem was their infrastructure was barely capable of maintaining a conventional war effort and with problems like the massive earthquakes that damaged production facilities in '45 and the extremely expensive stalemate in China, they certainly didn't have a lot of extra resources to devote to exotic weapons, whatever their potential. Nevertheless, Japan had top flight scientists with a solid grasp on the theory and problems inherent in atomic bombs (the first patent for a "molecular bomb" was made sometime in the 20s, so regardless what modern American historians like to think, this was not an idea that somehow only Americans could come up with.
Most of the standard history of the development of nuclear weapons is really a kind of hagiography with a deeply religious strain to it: God would not permit Nazis or Japanese fascists to have such weapons, therefore, He in His wisdom and grace revealed His secrets to Oppenheimer, &c... Getting into a discussion of the actual facts with people about this topic is usually fruitless unless you have a box full of primary source documents in your garage.
Whatever the Americans and British or the Soviets really thought or knew the Axis countries were up to in this regard will likely never be known.

williamjpellas

Post by williamjpellas » 05 Mar 2017, 08:51

lazycat1984 wrote:Check out Joseph Farrell's "Reich of the Black Sun" for a good discussion of German super weapons with some side discussion on Japan's part in the thing. The Japanese were capable technologically of making atom bombs. Their real problem was their infrastructure was barely capable of maintaining a conventional war effort and with problems like the massive earthquakes that damaged production facilities in '45 and the extremely expensive stalemate in China, they certainly didn't have a lot of extra resources to devote to exotic weapons, whatever their potential. Nevertheless, Japan had top flight scientists with a solid grasp on the theory and problems inherent in atomic bombs (the first patent for a "molecular bomb" was made sometime in the 20s, so regardless what modern American historians like to think, this was not an idea that somehow only Americans could come up with.
Most of the standard history of the development of nuclear weapons is really a kind of hagiography with a deeply religious strain to it: God would not permit Nazis or Japanese fascists to have such weapons, therefore, He in His wisdom and grace revealed His secrets to Oppenheimer, &c... Getting into a discussion of the actual facts with people about this topic is usually fruitless unless you have a box full of primary source documents in your garage.
Whatever the Americans and British or the Soviets really thought or knew the Axis countries were up to in this regard will likely never be known.

I have been reading a lot from Farrell recently, and have developed an increasing respect for him as a scholar and writer. In addition to Reich of the Black Sun, I am very impressed with what some excerpts I have seen from The Philosopher's Stone: Alchemy and the Secret Research for Exotic Matter, which also touches upon some aspects of WWII German superbomb research. I would love to know your source for the 1920s patent claim by the Japanese for a "molecular bomb", the more so because some sources indicate that at least one of the German nuclear weapon efforts in WWII used the same term to describe what it was trying to build. By the way, there were a number of weapons patents filed prior to WWII or during it that featured designs for various kinds of atomic bombs or nuclear weapons and related technology. Carl Friedrich von Wieszacker's plutonium bomb, various design concepts from Erich Schumann and Walther Trinks, Fritz Houtermann's reactor design, etc. A similar or even superior Japanese idea would not surprise me in the least. I know there are some who claim it was Japan that was the first to publicly describe what we know today as a hydrogen bomb, though I have read arguments for and against that notion. (I can't recall the Japanese scientist involved with that aspect of the story just now, sorry. I know Richard Rhodes mentioned him in at least one of his books.) There is even one researcher who told me he suspects Japan might even have been the first nation to split the atom. I am keeping an open mind.

Otherwise, you're quite right to use the term "hagiography" to describe the ahem, "research", "writing", and "scholarship" by many who are involved in the history of nuclear weapons. The most obvious distortions in my opinion---and by far the worst---come from the left. However, Nazi wunderwaffen fanbois also exist and are quite irritating in their own right.

Genro

Post by Genro » 03 May 2017, 18:22

In Richard Rhodes book it is mentioned that Hagiwara predicted the possibility of the H-bomb and regrettably this comes from a mis-translation of the Tonizo documents.

This document contains a shortened version of Tokutaro Hagiwara’s lecture given in May 1941 in Yokohama to the Navy, titled ‘Uranium 235 Chobakuritsu sai Genshi’ the super expolosive nature/properties of the U235 atom’. Explosive is normally ‘bakuhatsu’ but Hagiwara used ‘ritsu’ form, meaning to tear or tear apart. An unusual form but understandable.
The interpretation of part has led to the proposal that Hagiwara theorised on the possibility of fusion and the hydrogen bomb. Professor Fukui of Nagoya University and Mr. Kaji of Tokyo Institute of Technology have shown that the Kanji in this script is not the same as appeared in the printed version of Hagiwara’s lecture. Only the first half of the Kanjis are identical. The Kanji in Hagiwara’s lecture ‘cho’ meaning super was replaced by ‘ki’ meaning awaken , initiate or trigger, as in’ Okite kudasai’ please wake up. .
A more critical sentence is ‘Tekito nodo suiso to no kongobutsu no aru’ which is talking about mixing (kongobutsu) the U235 with hydrogen (suiso), tekito meaning suitable.’ The ‘no’ in ‘nodo’ has the meaning of strength, thickness, density but not specifically density which is mitsudo, ‘do ’indicating a measure of. The word has the sense that we talk of a strong cup of tea or the number of sugars put into the tea. The significance of this word is in the fact that a fission neutron requires on average 18 collisions with a hydrogen atom to reach thermal energies where it’s probability of causing fission of U235 is some 500 time greater. That number being dependent on thickness and density of hydrogen. The idea of an atomic bomb on these lines was not uncommon at the time.

The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings—

In ‘The Making of the Atomic Bomb’ it is written that Nishina used sealing wax to seal the diffusion column. This translation gives the impression of a rather amateur method of rendering the diffusion column gas tight.
In the transcript of the conversation of 2nd February 1944, Nishina describes the sealing material as “shinchu ro”. While蝋 ‘ro’ on its own can mean a candle or bees wax or just wax, in combination with 真鍮 ‘shinchu’ brass, actually refers to a alloy similar in composition to brass and inferring a lower melting point. This alloy is clearly more resistant to corrosion by fluoride as he says that” ordinary solder could not be used due to corrosion by fluorine”. Bearing in mind that Nishina talks of parts of the diffusion column operating at high temperature, the use of ‘sealing wax’ would clearly be inappropriate.
All metals react with fluorine at sufficiently high temperatures; but at ordinary temperatures reaction of metals in the massive form is frequently restricted by the formation of a protective fluoride film. Metals which form fluorides of low film volatility show greatest resistance such as steel, copper, nickel; and to alloys such as brass and monel (28%copper, 66% nickel, 3% iron and 3% manganese).

Genro

Post by Genro » 04 May 2017, 13:05

The Making of the Atomic Bomb. P. 581.
‘Gauges at the top and bottom of the column, intended to measure a difference in pressure---showing that separation was taking place---indicated no difference at all’.
This comes from ‘Bakudan no Ochiwa Hi’ (The Day Man Lost. 1972) written by group of historians. Such gauges would not show any enrichment even if the separation was 100% and is technically total rubbish. Nishina had to use thermal neutron activation to measure the 10 % enrichment that he achieved.

Genro

Post by Genro » 04 May 2017, 17:50

The Making of the Atomic Bomb. P.582.

‘Significantly missing from the November 17 conference report is any mention of measurable separation of U235 from U238.

Nishina; “ Kayonishita U235 ganyu ritsu 0.7%, yaku 10% tado ni naru.”
Thus / in this way, the U235 which is initially 0.7%, enriched to about 10%.
“ Karui UF6 wo sarani joryu noshuku suru tame, bunri-to wo sarani ikki kensetsu-cho de aru”.
In order to further enrich the light uranium hexafluoride, a further separating tower unit is in the middle of being construction.

Genro

Post by Genro » 04 May 2017, 18:07

The Making of the Atomic Bomb.P.580.
‘His calculations, he told Nobuuji, indicated that 10 Kilograms of U235 of at least 50 percent purity should make a bomb, although cyclotron experiments would be necessary to determine whether 10 Kg will be sufficient, or whether it will require 20 Kg, or even 50 Kg’.

Nishina; “The results of the cyclotron measurements will reveal whether 10 Kg is enough or even 20 Kg or 50 Kg may be necessary. There is not much difference in the quantity between 0.7% and 10 % of U235 content but it becomes vastly different if it is over 50 %. Nevertheless it is very difficult to achieve 50 % and impossible to make 100 %”.
Note; In the region of 10 % or less enrichment the critical mass is in tons. At 50 % U235 the critical mass with reflector is about 30 Kg and at 100% U235 about 17 Kg.

williamjpellas

Post by williamjpellas » 05 Sep 2018, 02:35

Genro wrote:
04 May 2017, 17:50
The Making of the Atomic Bomb. P.582.

‘Significantly missing from the November 17 conference report is any mention of measurable separation of U235 from U238.

Nishina; “ Kayonishita U235 ganyu ritsu 0.7%, yaku 10% tado ni naru.”
Thus / in this way, the U235 which is initially 0.7%, enriched to about 10%.
“ Karui UF6 wo sarani joryu noshuku suru tame, bunri-to wo sarani ikki kensetsu-cho de aru”.
In order to further enrich the light uranium hexafluoride, a further separating tower unit is in the middle of being construction.
Actually several of them. Still a small number and not enough by themselves to produce sufficient enriched uranium for a bomb in the time Japan had left before the end of the war. But they were sizable machines--probably built under the personal supervision of Lt. Col. Tatsusaburo Suzuki--and were based on Nishina's pilot apparatus and experience with operating it at the Riken.
Last edited by williamjpellas on 05 Sep 2018, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

williamjpellas

Post by williamjpellas » 05 Sep 2018, 02:40

Meanwhile, there's this from a Japanese journalist, Yoichi Shimatsu, dated 5 August 2018. I am wondering if what he has to say makes him "a novelist", too. You know. Like Wilcox.

"On 12 research visits inside the Fukushima nuclear exclusion zone from April 2011 until the end of 2016, I uncovered compelling evidence of two massive underground warhead labs hidden at two non-nuclear power stations on the outskirts of the Fukushima complex. This kick-started my effort to trace back Japan’s secret atomic-bomb program to an abandoned uranium mine on the slopes of Mount Uzumine on the outskirts of Sukagawa, southeast Fukushima Prefecture.

There, locals explained that, contrary to geology journals, uranium had been extracted there since the mid-1930s under a joint program by a militarist Japanese and Nazi German consortium known as Bund-Eine (Alliance One).

The historical record indicates this secret project to build “super-weapons” arose from Werner Heisenberg’s 1929 tour of Japan.

The other major center for Japan’s pioneering work in nuclear weaponry was based on Hungnam (Konan) Island in the then Japanese colony of Korea, financed by the Munitions Ministry chief Nobusuke Kishi, the grandfather of the present prime minister Shinzo Abe."

https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d414e3463 ... are_p.html

Note that Yoichi Shimatsu is not some kind of fringe figure in Japan. Not remotely. Although currently "a freelance journalist based in Hong Kong" he was previously an editor at The Japan Times, and after that was an associate editor for the recently-defunct Pacific News Service. Robert Wilcox isn't a kook, either, nor is Rainer Karlsch or Igor Witkowski or even Joseph Farrell (his preference for esoteric subjects notwithstanding). My point being that in contrast to how they are often smeared by certain people and organizations with a vested interest in maintaining their preferred historical narrative about the Second World War, nearly all of the most prominent naysayers are very solid journalists and scholars.

Shimatsu's piece dovetails with much of my own recent research into the connections between the German and Japanese nuclear weapons projects in WWII. A photo of Heisenberg's visit to the Riken Institute in 1929 is still archived on the Riken's "History" page last time I checked, though it is an earlier version of that page so you have to dig a little to find it.

main-qimg-38a437702888dd659e9c46e243d50e0b.gif
main-qimg-38a437702888dd659e9c46e243d50e0b.gif (73.23 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Heisenberg is fourth from left. Yoshio Nishina is at far left.

For anyone curious:

http://qr.ae/TbSsH0

http://qr.ae/TU1O5J

http://qr.ae/TbSKNT

Genro

Post by Genro » 06 Sep 2018, 21:19

So Heisenberg discussed a ‘super bomb’ on his visit to Japan in 1929. Since this was at the invitation of Yoshio Nishina he no doubt discussed this with him. This sounds very interesting but are we talking about a fission bomb or something more exotic?
Chadwick announced the discovery of the neutron 10 May 1932 and Hahn and Strassman announce the discovery of fission on 17 November 1939.
Remember the journalist’s moto ‘never let the fact get in the way of a good story’.

Genro

Post by Genro » 07 Sep 2018, 17:11

SHIMATSU: MEGA NUCLEAR EXPLOSION POSSIBLE WITHIN EARTH'S CRUST DUE TO UNCONTROLLABLE MOLTEN CORIUMS AT FUKUSHIMA
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:01

Takao

Post by Takao » 07 Sep 2018, 23:31

Genro wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 17:11
SHIMATSU: MEGA NUCLEAR EXPLOSION POSSIBLE WITHIN EARTH'S CRUST DUE TO UNCONTROLLABLE MOLTEN CORIUMS AT FUKUSHIMA
Shimatsu...Wasn't that guy trumpeted by that other clown Jeff Rense?

Yes, yes it was.

File this one in the trash bin folks.

Genro

Post by Genro » 08 Sep 2018, 10:14

Fukushima Disaster Exposed Japan’s Nuclear Armament
By Yoichi Shimatsu
I hope you have read his article. Any comments ?

williamjpellas

Post by williamjpellas » 08 Sep 2018, 15:43

Takao wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 23:31
Genro wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 17:11
Shimatsu...Wasn't that guy trumpeted by that other clown Jeff Rense?

Yes, yes it was.

File this one in the trash bin folks.
All together, now, once again. 1) I am not a physicist. 2) I can't speak to the possibility of "a mega nuclear explosion...within (the) Earth's crust". Whether this could occur or not, I don't know, but no one to date has ever observed all of the consequences of a large scale nuclear material meltdown, have they? Well, unless you believe this is what actually happened at Fukushima and everyone in the know is covering it up.

My concern here is with Shimatsu's claims about the history of the WWII Japanese nuclear weapons projects. I note you ignore that and move immediately to smear him with an obvious straw man for some of his other writing, which might or might not be scientifically accurate, and which has absolutely nothing to do with the issue in question in this thread. Namely: was Japan attempting to build its own atomic bombs during the war years, and if so, how close did she come to actually doing it?

If you want to claim that Shimatsu is a crank or deliberately lying, alright. Let's see you tackle his claims and his sources and your own research. I will say that it would be unusual for an obvious crank or liar to rise to the level of an editor at a major Japanese newspaper / online news source and later hold a similar position at another, multinational news operation, though journalistic frauds, lies, and mistakes certainly do occur.

What about his allegation / information concerning "Bund Eine" and Heisenberg's Riken visit in 1929? Anything to say about that?
Last edited by williamjpellas on 08 Sep 2018, 19:43, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”