IJN Battleships availability

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
mescal

IJN Battleships availability

Post by mescal » 17 Mar 2009, 14:35

Hello,

I' still working on my study of the availability and geographic locations of the main units of the main navies of WW2.

Below is the part dealing with the Battleships of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

the color code are the same as usual :
green : available
red : sunk
orange : combat damage
yellow : noncombat damage
purple : repair/refit/... = unavailable
light blue : training
brown : withdrawn from active service
grey : building

I also put the usual tags to give a rough indication of the location of the ships :
CP : Central Pacific ("PH" is Pearl Harbor)
SP : South Pacific (including ships based at Truk)
NP : North Pacific (Hokkaido to Aleutian)
EI : East Indies (Indonesia - Singapore - malaya)
VN : Viet Nam / South China Sea (based at Cam Ranh)
HW : Home Waters (from Formosa to Honshu and Korea)
PI : Philippines
IO : Indian Ocean
IJN_BB_1.jpg
IJN_BB_1.jpg (53.7 KiB) Viewed 750 times
IJN_BB_2.jpg
IJN_BB_2.jpg (35.63 KiB) Viewed 750 times
I have also added some numerical values to have a different picture of the deployment of the IJN battleships.
(in this view : the "VN" and "EI" values of the charts abovs are added under the column "EI").
column "T" represents the "Training" month (school ship & initial training after commissioning) and "U" stands for Unavailable. The "Total" is simply the sum of the 8 previous columns and excludes the building time and the months after the ship has been sunk.
Note that the time-unit (month) imply that numerous short-term refit do not appear in the charts, and that this imply that the unavailability time for each ship is necessarily underestimated.
IJN_BB_nb.jpg
IJN_BB_nb.jpg (48.96 KiB) Viewed 752 times
All comments and corrections are welcome.

[Edit : Update of the charts according to the remarks and corrections.]
Last edited by mescal on 18 Mar 2009, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier

LWD

Re: IJN Battleships availability

Post by LWD » 17 Mar 2009, 15:17

I noticed that you don't show any training time for Yamato. My impression was that her first few months were in training. Wiki states (I know hardly defintive but..)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Yamato
Following sea trials and war-games, Yamato was deemed fully operational and serviceable on 27 May 1942,
I'm not sure it warrents changing at this time but perhaps some further investigation.

Again thank for the work. These are really nice charts.

Just noted that:
http://www.combinedfleet.com/yamato.htm
has a similar quote
27 May 1942:
YAMATO is deemed operational.

Mostlyharmless

Post by Mostlyharmless » 17 Mar 2009, 23:42

There is a further minor issue with Yamato. She was torpedoed by Skate on 25th December 1943 and then went to Truk for emergency repairs followed by a voyage to Kure and docking for repairs. According to http://www.combinedfleet.com/yamato.htm she undocked on 3rd February 1944 but then returned to dry dock for modifications. She undocks on 18th March and finally leaves Kure for trials on 11th April. Thus one could argue that she was unavailable for service from 25th December to 11th April.

mescal

Post by mescal » 18 Mar 2009, 10:28

Hello,

thanks for the remarks and corrections.

I don't know how I forgot the hit on Yamato :roll:
=> Yamato classified as 'Training' until end of april 42. (not 100% sure, but in my classification system, since I admit that a training ship can be used in front-line duty, this is not a huge difference).
=> Yamato unavailable from dec43 to Apr44 : it also remains slightly in doubt, as she was clearly seaworthy at some times during this period, but I assume that as long as the repair/upgrade were not completely over, she was not deemed fit for front-line duty by the IJN.

I also set the 'Unavailable' value for the months spent in the Reserve (Brown color in the second chart).
Stats in the third graph have been updated accordingly.
Olivier

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”