Battle of Shimushu

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
tom!

Re: Battle of Shimushu

Post by tom! » 24 Jan 2013, 17:04

Hi.

The turret is definitely too high and the shape is wrong, too. But nevertheless an impressing scratch-built work.

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-V ... 2-KaMi.htm

Yours

tom! :wink:

FreyFox

Post by FreyFox » 24 Jan 2013, 23:27

Can drawings and tank measurements have remained?

tom!

Post by tom! » 25 Jan 2013, 14:32

Hi.

Each tank type captured by allied forces was examined and tested intensively. Several Ka-Mi were also captured and so I think the data for the drawings are at least avaliable from allied sources. Kubinka has one Ka-Mi on display including the pontoons.Others are rusting on several pacific islands.

And there are dozends of wartime pictures of this tank on the web, too.

Yours

tom! :wink:

FreyFox

Post by FreyFox » 26 Jan 2013, 01:38

By the way, Ka-Mi from Kubinka too it is brought from island Shumshu. Similar it from the same unit, that those tank which now restore.

FreyFox

Post by FreyFox » 26 Jan 2013, 01:45

panzerhan

Post by panzerhan » 10 Feb 2013, 00:30

I am looking for pictures (or maybe drawings) of the camouflage schemes of the tanks of the 11th Tank Regiment. Is there anybody that can help?

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 10 Feb 2013, 14:12

See AJ-Press Japanese Armor 1931-45. There are some color pictures of 11th Tank Regiment.

Taki

panzerhan

Post by panzerhan » 10 Feb 2013, 18:01

Thank you Akira Takizawa. I will try to purchase that book. Until now, the thing I'm curious about is wheter do these tanks have the camouflage with yellow stripes on?

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 11 Feb 2013, 04:36

Their camo was the three colors with yellow stripes. See below photos.
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1306596

Taki

FreyFox

Post by FreyFox » 12 Feb 2013, 08:47

There is a photo of tanks of 11th tank regiment standing about naval base Kataoka. On them yellow strips are very well visible.

In memoirs of the Soviet soldiers there are episodes, that these strips from apart accepted for the dragons drawn on tanks.

panzerhan

Post by panzerhan » 12 Feb 2013, 11:44

Dear Akira Takizawa and FreyFox, thank you for your help :)

FreyFox

Post by FreyFox » 13 Feb 2013, 10:22

There is a photo of tanks of 11th tank regiment standing about naval base Kataoka. On them yellow strips are very well visible.

DocB

Post by DocB » 08 Oct 2013, 16:27

Hello, my name is Boris, I am Russian Milwaukee-an. My grandfather, who I was named after, himself participated in Shimushu landing, so I've been collecting materials on this operation for several years. It feels, that official Soviet order of battle (it's Russian text can be found at the previous pages) was quite embellished in an attempt to conceal some obvious mishaps and poor planning. It is also very dissonant with the first- hand accounts of my granddad and other veterans. I am slowly working on an article on this subject, and looking for Japanese military documents. Most importantly, I want to find out about activity of Japanese negotiation team. According to some Japanese veteran's interview, the negotiators with white flag were sent to meet with the Soviet head detachment (lead by Major Shutov) during the first hour of the assault, but they were shot at by the Russians, and had to retreat. This incident was mentioned in the book "The Last Flight of Bomber 31" by Ralph Wetterhahn, so I am looking for any official confirmation of such occurrence.
Also, in some descriptions of the Shimushu operation, I found a mentioning of what appeared to be a suicidal dive of damaged Japanese torpedo bomber (presumably, B5N "Kate") into Soviet mine sweeper, that sunk after impact. Any confirmation of this and other activity of Japanese aviation over Shimushu would be greatly appreciated!
I realize, that entire Japanese garrison of Shimushu was taken POW, however, were there any official reports from those, who survived GULAG?
Thank you!

FreyFox

Post by FreyFox » 11 Oct 2013, 05:56

Most importantly, I want to find out about activity of Japanese negotiation team.
Here the Japanese text, about truce envoys.
http://www.jiyuushikan.org/rekishi/rekishi277.html

According to some Japanese veteran's interview, the negotiators with white flag were sent to meet with the Soviet head detachment (lead by Major Shutov) during the first hour of the assault, but they were shot at by the Russians, and had to retreat.
On the Soviet memoirs, on August, 18th there was an attempt of the Japanese party to send officers for an armistice, but when to them the soldier has gone (it seems, the frontier guard) from the Japanese positions on it have started to shoot. Reciprocal fire has been opened.
Also, in some descriptions of the Shimushu operation, I found a mentioning of what appeared to be a suicidal dive of damaged Japanese torpedo bomber (presumably, B5N "Kate") into Soviet mine sweeper, that sunk after impact.
Possibly, it is a question about КТЩ КТ-152.
Last researches do not confirm this fact. Possibly, there was any error in reports.
Such ship is not present either in fleet lists, or in the order on landing operation.
I realize, that entire Japanese garrison of Shimushu was taken POW, however, were there any official reports from those, who survived GULAG?
I have memoirs of the Japanese, were taken prisoner and have been taken out to Kamchatka.

Correctly to write - ГУЛаг( Главное Управление Лагерей) :)

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 14 Oct 2013, 17:18

The FDR & Truman Administrations were secretly supplying the Russians with a small amphibious fleet in 1945, some of which was used at the Battle of Shimushu.

See:

“Project Hula : Secret Soviet American Naval Cooperation in the War Against Japan” by Richard A. Russell (Sep 1997)

http://www.amazon.com/Project-Hula-Amer ... oject+hula

or wikipedia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Hula

If I counted right at the wiki-link, the US Navy transferred 32 Large infantry landing craft (LCI(L)) to the Russians in the Summer of 1945. Each LCI(L) could carry an infantry company with light crew served heavy weapons (Machine guns and mortars).

Some 32 infantry companies is roughly the combat elements of a Soviet WW2 Rifle Infantry division.

The Soviets could get into Hokkaido in late August-Early September 1945. Whether they could have _stayed_ in the face of Japanese wood and fabric biplane Kamikazes hitting their LCI(L) transports, without massive US Navy carrier fleet help, is a very different matter.

At the very least it would have made any alternate history IJA Coup leaders move men, equipment and especially Kamikazes from Honshu to Hokkaido and from Kyushu and to Honshu.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”