Movement of 22nd Division 1944

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Jerry Asher

Movement of 22nd Division 1944

Post by Jerry Asher » 28 Oct 2013, 00:02

Fontessa do you information on the 22nd Division being deployed to China--am interested. However my initial question was the rather strange four part move conducted from Shanghai to Guangzhou beginning on January 24, 1944. It looks like it took place over six months, in convoy 86, 89, 91 and unknown. I think John would be interested in that one also. Again am ignorant as to its units.

Let me clean up data as to August-September 1937 landings of Central China Expeditionary Army. In addition to the ships you named I have the destroyers Suzukaze and Hatshuharu, and the Kamoi operating for that operation as a seaplane carrier. Destroyer Divisions are very confusing.

I would love to give you a rest but from you and John I am learning to probe even deeper. Your mentioning at Guangzhou in October 1938 of the Bridging Materials Companies of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th and 6th Divisions leads me to ask if, when going into the histories of these divisions if you could post as it relates to China. Of course that means the Bridging Materails Companies of the 5th, 16th and 18th also. But please don't do this as a project but when you are revisiting these divisions.

Finally my deep appreciation and admiration.

john whitman
In memoriam

Re: Movement of 22nd Division 1944

Post by john whitman » 28 Oct 2013, 11:44

Hello Jerry:

Here is a machine translation from a soldier in the 22nd Division.

“1944 May 2 [1944], for maneuvers participation with south support 那 direction it left Kinka by the railroad freight car and assembled in Shanghai. Damage of ships by the American submarines increased at this time and hindered the maneuvers. The 22nd Division’s first echelon was the 84th Infantry; in the second echelon was the 85th Infantry; and in the third echelon was the 86th Infantry.

May 23, departed Shanghai. The soldiers believed that they were going south, but exactly where we were not told. May 26, arrived Takao. We landed at nine dragon ports of May 29th departure and June 2 Guangdong without landing, collected in the June 6 Guangdong Nakayama university and it waited for all the 22nd Division to arrive. However, the 86th Infantry of the third echelon had bad luck from a submarine. 70 percent of the men were rescued, but the weapon ammunition in addition everything is to arrive to the Nakayama university in state of the sea sinking and the July 7 nudity.

This regiment was unfortunate, nighttime of that day which arrives, it received the air raid of the enemy plane and received heavy damage. With this first air raid the death in battle five person, the damage injury 13 came out even in the troop. Being flurried, in order to dig the bomb shelter, life came out. Regrettable why allied army [Japanese Army aircraft] machine of the expectation which to the Guangdong airport is did not show the form. The Nakayama University was the big building of the reinforced four floor building. It is the famous university which was called Motoyama of anti-Japan movement."

Source is //www.heiwakinen.jp/shiryokan/heiwa/14onk ... _425_1.pdf

John

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 28 Oct 2013, 12:55

Good morning Jerry,
Jerry Asher wrote: However my initial question was the rather strange four part move conducted from Shanghai to Guangzhou beginning on January 24, 1944. It looks like it took place over six months, in convoy 86, 89, 91 and unknown.
The division was ordered the transfer to the 23rd Army on 15 February, 1944. And it started moving to South China on 10 April, 1944 and completed it on 31 August.

According to Unit Brief Histories. the movements of subordinate units were as follows. (Actual date may move slightly to some extent.)
■ Division HQ
No record is left.
■ 84th Infantry Regiment
Not clear.
■ 85th Infantry Regiment
- Departed Shanghai on 23 May
- Landed at 黄捕 (Whampoa) on 2 June
■ 86th Infantry Regiment
- Departed Shanghai aboard 日東丸 Nitto Maru on 24 June
- Sunk on 4 July (541 men were killed)
- Landed at 九龍 (Kowloon) on 5 July
■ 52th Mountain Artillery Regiment
- Departed Shanghai on 15 May
- Landed at 広東 (Guangdong) on 6 June
■ 22nd Engineer Regiment
- Departed Shanghai on 15 May
- Landed at Whampoa on 2 June
■ 22nd Transport Regiment
- Departed Shanghai aboard 日東丸 Nitto Maru on 24 June (1st Platoon, 1st Company)
- Departed Shanghai aboard 共同丸 Kyodo Maru on the same day (regiment main force)
- Both sunk on 4 July (72 men were killed)
■ Division Signal Unit
- Departed on unknown day
- Landed at Whampoa on 5 June
■ Division Field Hospital
- Moved during 7 May ~ 2 June
■ Division Veterinary Hospital
- Departed Shanghai on 22 May
- Landed at Guangdong on 5 June
■ Division Ordinance Duty Unit
- Departed Shanghai on 10 July
- Landed at Kowloon on 30 July

fontessa

Jerry Asher

Post by Jerry Asher » 28 Oct 2013, 15:22

Good morning all: John and Fontessa your replies make for a wonderful start of this day. Thank You and I wish happiness to every reader of this post.

john whitman
In memoriam

Post by john whitman » 28 Oct 2013, 16:51

Hello fontessa:

Thanks for the nice post.

Your casualty figures are new to western sources. In particular, they conflict with John D. Alden's book United States and Allied Submarine Successes in the Pacific and Far East during World War II. Your figures are also different from //www.ric.hi-ho.ne.jp/senbotusen/siryo-de ... enlist.pdf. Maybe this source mentions crew losses only.

So your information is very useful. I am sure that Alden will correct his figures in the next edition of the book.

John

john whitman
In memoriam

Post by john whitman » 28 Oct 2013, 17:55

Hello again fontessa:

One of the people at combinedfleet.com would like to know the casualty figures of the transportation personnel between Kyodo Maru and Nitto Maru. The 22nd Transport Regiment was divided between these two ships. Of the 72 men killed, do you know how many were killed aboard each ship?

And do you know if there were non-divisional units aboard the two marus, logistics units etc.? Or were the men all from the 22nd Division?

John

Jerry Asher

Post by Jerry Asher » 29 Oct 2013, 05:05

Convoy 91 matches up with movement of 86th Infantry Regiment. My data indicates that in addition to Nitto M. and Kyodo #28, there were two other ships, the Gyoun and Gyoyu. The Gyoyu was sunk in the same attack by USS Seahorse that heavily damaged Nitto M, on July 3rd. A second attack at 1400 hours on the 4th sank Nitto with 2 torpedoes, and Kyodo #28. I have that the last lift from Shanghai was by high speed destroyers, not by commercial ships. Thank you fontessa and John. John I tried to get on combined fleet again and get no where--my name is already in use, I tried a derivative-that didn't work. Could you discreetly ask Bob, if he is just not interest in me? I can live with rejection, although I feel I am a good contributor and for an English speaking guy not bad regarding Chinese waters. Years ago got the impression combined simply not interested in pre Pearl Harbor IJN. Have a great evening all.

john whitman
In memoriam

Post by john whitman » 29 Oct 2013, 10:55

Hello Jerry:

Bob is not the guy with whom intercede, not the decision maker. The site administrator is probably the guy to talk to, which I will do.

But first, have you tried a new name as a log on? Or maybe the problem is with your computer.

John

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 02 Nov 2013, 10:59

Good morning John and Jerry,
Jerry Asher wrote: It looks like it took place over six months, in convoy 86, 89, 91 and unknown.
According to unit histories of various regiments, outline of the transportation of 22nd Division was as follows.
■ 1st echelon (convoy 86)
- Division HQ
- 84th Infantry Regiment
- part of 52nd Mountain Artillery Regiment
- 1 platoon of 22nd Transport Regiment
- 22nd Engineer Regiment *
* According to Unit Brief Histories, it sailed in 2nd echelon.
■ 2nd echelon (convoy 89)
- 85th Infantry Regiment
- most of 52nd Mountain Artillery Regiment
- 3rd Company, 22nd Transport Regiment
■ 3rd echelon (convoy 91)
- 86th Infantry Regiment
- main force of 22nd Transport Regiment (HQ, 1 platoon, 1st Company and most of horses)
fontessa wrote: ■ 84th Infantry Regiment
Not clear.
According to the unit history of 84th Infantry , the movement of the regiment was as follows.
▼ 筑波丸 Tsukuba Maru: Regiment HQ, Infantry Gun Company and Signal Unit
▼ 東栄丸 Toei Maru and 第1東洋丸 Toyo Maru No.1: 1st Battalion
- Departed Shanghai on 26 April
- Arrived at Takao on 29 April
- Done a rendezvous with Gyoun Maru
- Departed Takao with Gyoun Maru on 10 May
- Arrived at Hong Kong on 13 May
- Landed at Kowloon on 14 May
▼ 暁雲丸 Gyoun Maru: 3rd Battalion
- Departed Shanghai on 4 May
- Arrived at Takao on 9 May
- Departed Takao with Tsukuba Maru and Toei Maru
▼ 第2九州丸 Kyushu Maru No.2: 2nd Battalion (minus 6th and 8th Companies)
▼ 利通丸 Ritsu Maru: 6th and 8th Companies and part of 52nd Mountain Artillery Regiment
- Departed Shanghai on 9 May
- Landed at Whampoa on 2 June
▼ Ships in 1st echelon:
第1新興丸 Shinko Maru No.1、神寿丸 Kamihisa Maru (Shinju Maru?)、金門丸 Kimmon Maru、日東丸 Nitto Maru、徐州丸 Joshu Maru、暁勇丸 Gyoyu Maru、山鳥丸 Yamatori Maru、南嶺丸 Nanrei Maru、厚利丸 Koti Maru、第28共同丸 Kyodo Maru No.28、筑波丸 Tsukuba Maru、睦雲丸 Mutsugumo Maru、東栄丸 Toei Maru、第1東洋丸 Toyo Maru No.1、第2九州丸 Kyushu Maru No.2
fontessa wrote: ■ 85th Infantry Regiment
- Departed Shanghai on 23 May
- Landed at 黄捕 (Whampoa) on 2 June
The unit history of 85th Infantry mentions ship allotment only for headquarters.
- 美山丸 Bisan Maru: Regiment HQ
- 斗山丸 Toyama Maru: 1st Battalion HQ
- 海口丸 Kaiko Maru: 2nd Battalion HQ
- 象山丸 Shozan Maru: 3rd Battalion HQ
▼ Ships in 2nd echelon:
室戸丸 Muroto Maru、斗山丸 Toyama Maru、芝罘丸 Shibafu Maru、江寧丸 Konei Maru、Kyuko Maru九江丸、楡林丸 Yutin Maru、済南丸 Jinan Maru、象山丸 Shozan Maru、利通丸 Ritsu Maru、勝浦丸 Katsuura Maru、大沼丸 Onuma Maru、海口丸 Kaiko Maru、楽山丸 Rakuyama Maru、美山丸 Bisan Maru、新東丸 Shinto Maru、東光丸 Toko Maru、香港丸 Hong Kong Maru、高砂丸 Takasago Maru
fontessa wrote: ■ 86th Infantry Regiment
- Departed Shanghai aboard 日東丸 Nitto Maru on 24 June
- Sunk on 4 July (541 men were killed)
- Landed at 九龍 (Kowloon) on 5 July
According to the unit history of 86th Infantry, the regiment was transported in following groups.
▼ 1st Group (4 transport ships)
- Regiment HQ, 2nd Battalion, 1st and 10th Companies
- 日東丸 Nitto Maru: 1st Company and 1 company of 22nd Transport
- 暁勇丸 Kyoyu Maru: 2nd Battalion (minus 6th Company) and 10th Company
- 第28共同丸 Kyodo Maru No.28: main force of 22nd Transport and 6th Company
- 睦雲丸 Mutsugumo Maru: 2nd Machinegun Company and part of Infantry Gun Company
- Departed Shanghai on 24 June
- 日東丸, 第28共同丸 and 暁勇丸were sunk on 4 July.
- Landed at Kowloon on 5 July
▼ 2nd Group (6 transport ships)
- 3rd Battalion (minus 10th Company)
- Departed Shanghai on 24 July
- Waited 1 week at Takao
- Arrived at Kowloon on 9 August
▼ 3rd Group (unknown ships)
- 1st Battalion (minus 1st Company)
- Departed Shanghai on 6 August
- Arrived at Kowloon on 19 August
john whitman wrote: Of the 72 men killed, do you know how many were killed aboard each ship?
I checked the unit history of the 22nd Transport Regiment, but it doesn't mention the number of the person killed in action of each ship.
john whitman wrote: And do you know if there were non-divisional units aboard the two marus, logistics units etc.? Or were the men all from the 22nd Division?
As I described in this post, two ships carried only the units of the 22nd Division.

fontessa

john whitman
In memoriam

Post by john whitman » 02 Nov 2013, 12:43

Good evening fontessa:

You have posted another wonderful list. Thank you.

I have not yet looked at ship tonnage, but I would guess most of these marus are small. I am surprised at how many ships were needed. Most of the 14th Division moved to Palau in four large transports, while the 29th moved to the Marianas in three large transports. It looks like the 22nd Division required more than 48.

John

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 02 Nov 2013, 14:14

Good morning again John,
john whitman wrote: I am surprised at how many ships were needed. Most of the 14th Division moved to Palau in four large transports, while the 29th moved to the Marianas in three large transports. It looks like the 22nd Division required more than 48.
I think the 22nd Division was transported with their horses. Horses took more space than men. And the 22nd Division was transported for 一号作戦 (Operations Ichi Go). So I guess that units under direct 23rd Army command were transported at the same time.

fontessa

Jerry Asher

Post by Jerry Asher » 02 Nov 2013, 16:42

Good morning Fontessa and John: Absolutely fascinating--thank you both.

Jerry Asher

Post by Jerry Asher » 02 Nov 2013, 17:16

Sorry, I ought to have included this in previous reply. Fontessa can I enquire as to when, where and how 22nd Division went to China? and movement of 2nd Division Bridging company as well (I'm torn, on the one hand I feel it is a burden to you, on the other hand, like me pleasure is derived).

john whitman
In memoriam

Post by john whitman » 02 Nov 2013, 20:18

Hello fontessa:

Your comment that 23rd Army support troops might have moved in the same convoys as the 22nd Division makes sense. And, of course, horses take up a lot of space. I am also interested in "army troops" and "area army troops." If you find any that travelled with the 22nd Division, I would like to learn about them.

John

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 04 Nov 2013, 11:14

Good morning John and Jerry,
Jerry Asher wrote: Fontessa can I enquire as to when, where and how 22nd Division went to China?
The movement of the 22nd Division form Japan to China was as follows.
■ 84th infantry
- Departed Osaka aboard 神洋丸 Shinyo Maru and others on 16 August, 1938
- Arrived at Shanghai on 20 August
■ 85th Infantry
- Departed Osaka on aboard ぶらじる丸 Brazil Maru, たこま丸 Tacoma Maru, りおでじゃねいろ丸 Rio de Janeiro Maru and others on 16 August
- Landed at Shanghai 19 ~ 20 August
■ 86th Infantry
- Departed 仁川 Inchon in Korea on 20 August
- Landed on Shanghai on 22 August
■ 52nd Mountain Artillery
▼ Main force
- Departed Osaka on 5 August
- Landed at Shanghai on 8 August
▼ 2nd Battalion
- Departed Inchon on 9 August
- Landed on Shanghai 鎮江 Zhenjiang on 14 August
▼ 3rd Battalion
- Departed Osaka on 6 August
- Landed at Shanghai on 11 August
■ 22nd Engineer
- Departed Osaka 16 August
- Landed at Shanghai on 20 August
■ Signal Unit
- Landed at Shanghai on 19 august
■ 22nd Transport
▼ Main force
- Departed Osaka on 15 August
- Landed at Shanghai on 19 August
▼ 1st Company
- De parted Osaka on 16 August
- Landed at Shanghai on 20 August
■ Veterinary Hospital
- Departed Osaka on 22 November
- Arrived at 杭州 Hangzhou on 25 November
Jerry Asher wrote: and movement of 2nd Division Bridging company as well
Only the below was on JACAR.
- The 1st and the 2nd Bridging Materials Companies were added to 1st Army OOB on 31 August, 1942.
- The 2nd Bridging Materials Company demobilized on 7 November, 1943.
john whitman wrote: I am also interested in "army troops" and "area army troops." If you find any that travelled with the 22nd Division, I would like to learn about them.
Only the following units was found in Unit Brief Histories.
■ 59th Independent Engineer Battalion
- Departed Woosung on 6 August
- Arrived at Whampoa on 25 August
■ 1st Company, 55th Independent Transport Battalion
- Departed Woosung on 27 April
■ 2nd Company, 55th Independent Transport Battalion
- Departed Woosung on 12 June
■ HQ, Company, 55th Independent Transport Battalion
- Departed Woosung on 6 August
■ 96th Independent Radio Platoon
- Departed Woosung on 4 May
- Landed at Kowloon on 13 May
■ 19th Field Ordinance Depot Mobile Repair Section
- Departed Manchuria on 30 March
- Landed at Whampoa on 21 June
■ part of 19th Field Motor Repair Depot
- Departed Woosung on 5 August
- Arrived at Guangdong on 28 August
■ 17th Field Freight Depot Mobile Cloth Repair Section
- Departed Woosung on 9 May
- Arrived at Kowloon on 1 June
Although not army units, the below were transported

According to Senshi Sosho, the materials required in South China for Operations Ichi Go reached to 165,000 tons. So Army had to carry these at the rate of 40,000 tons a month from March to June. So I guess both the convoys 86 and 89 departed from Japan and picked up the 22nd Division at Shanghai. Of course there may be other large convoys which carried both troops and materials.

For example,
■ 101st Independent Infantry Battalion (reinforcement for 19th Independent Mixed Brigade)
- Departed Moji on 19 April
- Landed at Koolung on 13 May
■ 247th Independent Infantry Battalion (23rd Independent Mixed Brigade)
- Departed Woosung on 12 July
- Landed at Whampoa on 9 June
■ 219th Independent Infantry Battalion (8th Independent Infantry Brigade)
- Departed Woosung on 10 April
- Landed at Whampoa on 14 May
■ 222th Independent Infantry Battalion (8th Independent Infantry Brigade)
- Departed Woosung on 10 April
- Landed at Whampoa on 25 April
■ 66th Line of Communications Sector Unit
- Departed Moji on 5 April
- Landed at Whampoa on 23 April
■ 61st and 62nd Fixed Radio Units
- Departed Moji on 17 April
■ 49th Field Machine Cannon Company
- Departed Moji on 19 April

fontessa