looking for Japanese radio broadcasts from before and during

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
harry6116

looking for Japanese radio broadcasts from before and during

Post by harry6116 » 11 Apr 2014, 16:16

hey all,
I am looking for radio broadcasts from the war period from Japan. I have plenty of broadcasts from Tokyo Rose but cannot seem to find anything else. Of particular interest is the broadcast on August 15, 1945 by Empre Hirohito announcing the surrender of Japan. I am looking for anything music, news and propaganda Broadcast by the Japanese military authorities. Preferably free material that I can at least listen to online. I will take anything that anybody may have from before, during and the immediate postwar period.
There is a remarkable lack of Japanese material that I have been able to find, the before mentioned broadcasts by Tokyo Rose being the only things that I have been able to find online.
thanks for any help on what is a very hard request.
I do apologise if we're not allowed to ask for sound files on these forums but as a blind lover of history sound files from the war period give an extremely vivid portrait of the events being played out.
I have over 3000 audiophiles from the Second World War and most of them full clips. even full speeches from the BBC and broadcasts from australia witch are extremely rare. where I have been able to find them
Michael

Akira Takizawa

Re: looking for Japanese radio broadcasts from before and du

Post by Akira Takizawa » 12 Apr 2014, 14:12

Special newscast of the opening of the Pacific War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xKhHfLB0s

Announcement of the end of the war by the emperor
http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/shogenarchives/sp ... 0387_00000

Here are sound files of NHK(Japan Broadcasting) during the war. Note that there are more files under the banners on the left side.
http://cgi2.nhk.or.jp/shogenarchives/sp/list.cgi

Taki

harry6116

Post by harry6116 » 12 Apr 2014, 15:26

wow!
thanks for these links, they will help me a lot.

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 19 Apr 2014, 13:18

harry6116 wrote:
I do apologise if we're not allowed to ask for sound files on these forums but as a blind lover of history sound files from the war period give an extremely vivid portrait of the events being played out.

Michael
In Japanese copyright law, property copyright expires;
For movies, 70 years after it went public
For most products, 50 years after the death of the author, the last passing away of co-authors
If joint production, unsigned magazine article, and/or publication in the name of organization/firm, 50 years after it went public or it was created (if it did not go public)

So you are free to seek prewar movies etc. But for songs, many authors survived the war and it might be still protected. Youtube and some similar service providers talked to copyright protection agencies and they offered to pay some for individual performers' use of the copyrighted products.

But for example, recent TV program on war issue may well be still protected. And because electric database is a copyrighted product including individual records it contains, unauthorized copy of pics/movies from library servers violates the law, even if individual movie is very old.

harry6116

Post by harry6116 » 19 Apr 2014, 14:19

cool, thanks for that info

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”