The First Air Combat between Japanese and Chinese?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
durb

The First Air Combat between Japanese and Chinese?

Post by durb » 08 May 2014, 00:08

As far as I know, the first air combat between Japanese and Chinese planes occurred on 22.2.1932 near Suchow. It was also the first air combat between Japanese and American pilots, because American Robert Show piloted the Boeing 218 biplane fighter with Chinese decals. He was killed in the combat, when his Boeing fell victim to IJNAF pilot Nokiji Ikuta, who probably was the first (!) Japanese pilot to achieve confirmed air victory.

The story of whole incident can be read here: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2013/06/ ... tiger.html

Does anyone know any earlier aerial engagements between Japanese and Chinese? Is Nokiji Ikuta the first Japanese pilot who was credited with confirmed air victory?

Stephen_Rynerson

Re: The First Air Combat between Japanese and Chinese?

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 08 May 2014, 15:19

Based on what I'm finding on-line, you're correct that Nokiji Ikuta is credited with Japan's first aerial combat victory. In terms of earlier aerial engagements between Chinese and Japanese aircraft, the only one that I'm immediately aware of was on February 19, 1932 -- in that one Robert Show shot down a single Japanese plane. (I should add that there was at least one aerial battle involving Japanese aircraft over China during WW I -- but that was was against a German aircraft at Tsingtao, not a Chinese aircraft.)

durb

Re: The First Air Combat between Japanese and Chinese?

Post by durb » 08 May 2014, 23:40

Thanks for feedback. The website article that I cited above gave also following information: there was an encounter between Japanese (IJNAF) and Chinese planes on 5.2.1932 over Kushan and this is likely the very first air combat between Japanese and Chinese. According to Chinese sources one Japanese plane was shot down. I do not know if this is confirmed by Japanese records. At least one Japanese plane was damaged in the combat. Two Chinese pilots were wounded.

It also states that on 19.2.1932 Robert Short (not Show as I mistakenly typed) engaged Japanese formation scattering it and damaging one plane, but the damaged plane managed to escape. As much as I would like to credit Short with a confirmed air victory from this encounter, there is probably not enough evidence for his air victory. I do not know if he even claimed it.

After Short and before the AVG there were other American pilots who fought for the Chinese. In 1937 a group of Chinese American volunteer pilots joined the Chinese Air Force. Of this group Arthur Chin is the best known - he flew Hawk III and Gloster Gladiator in China and became the first American ace in China. Although ethnically Chinese, I consider this pilot group as Americans. In a way they were a AVG before the AVG.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”