John Whitman - in memoriam

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Wellgunde

Re: John Whitman - in memoriam

Post by Wellgunde » 14 Aug 2014, 07:01

Sewer King wrote:Hopefully the Colonel’s last work can be published in some near future.
John had two books he was working on. From my conversations with him I got the sense that he still had much to do on his Japanese logistics book. Then too, I think that he was a perfectionist, always looking for that last piece of information, so we'll just have to guess how far along he was. It would be great if they were to see print. I think we all wish that his lifetime of work doesn't just vanish. Perhaps if anyone knows Mrs. Whitman they might suggest to her that she donate his papers to the Command and General Staff College in Kansas where John was a student. I think that would be a fitting legacy.
Sewer King wrote:Did he learn any Japanese language?
No
Sewer King wrote:Besides his book on Bataan, is there a bibliography of his articles and other published work?
No, there isn't. He wrote for everything from Strategy & Tactics to Army Logistician. Some of his articles appeared in some very obscure journals. You can find his master's thesis (the basis for the Bataan book) in the Leavenworth Combined Arms Research Library (google "carl leavenworth").

If anyone wishes to send Mrs. Whitman a condolence card, email me and I will send you the address.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Rick the Librarian

Post by Rick the Librarian » 08 Oct 2014, 02:40

John Whitman wrote perhaps the best "combat" book on Bataan ever crafted (trust me, I've read dozens!). I cannot understand why it has been allowed to go out of print. He kindly signed a copy of my book. May he rest in peace.

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 08 Oct 2014, 16:17

Once upon a time, the book trade often published (and republished) books with potentially small sales because they believed the books had merit. Unfortunately, shifting economics have killed whatever altruism previously existed in the publishing world. I imagine that keeping John's book, superb though it is, in print has not been seen as a sound business decision. Thankfully, John's book is easy to find in used book venues. The prices the book commands are high which is a testament to the book's enduring status as the definitive account of the Bataan campaign.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”