ist Operations of 28th Division, Qinzhou Bay

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Jerry Asher

ist Operations of 28th Division, Qinzhou Bay

Post by Jerry Asher » 16 Aug 2014, 22:48

In mid November 1939, the Japanese landed at widely disperesed points along Qinzhou Bay, with the 5th and for the first time I think the 28th Division which heretofore had been a detachment and then a Brigade from Taiwan. Two divsions is a large force, and I am hopinng the JACar data can assist. I'm getting in,but am then stuck. My understanding is that the first elements were landed on the night of the 11th and that landings continued till the 16th. Any assistance would be much appreciated. This was a 21st Army operation. Have agreat week end all.

Jerry Asher

Re: ist Operations of 28th Division, Qinzhou Bay

Post by Jerry Asher » 16 Aug 2014, 23:36

I apoligize: I ought to have included that the 18th Division was also brought in--perhaps during January and departed by late March. Any info on its arrival and departure is most welcome. The whole expedition was terminated in late 1940 when Northern Indo China was occuppied. As long as at that site--might be best to conclude movement. Many heartfelt thanks. In America, if we lived close we would say, I owe you a steak dinner. What can I do here to show my appreciation?

fontessa

Post by fontessa » 17 Aug 2014, 03:23

Good evening Jerry:

The 28th Division completed its organization at Manchuria in the beginning of August, 1940. The division stayed in Manchuria until it moved to Okinawa in 1944.

The 18th Division landed at Bias Bay in October, 1938. Unlike the 5th Division, there is no record that it moved to Qinzhou Bay.

fontessa
Last edited by fontessa on 17 Aug 2014, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry Asher

Post by Jerry Asher » 17 Aug 2014, 09:35

Good evening Fontessa: In English the landing and operations of the 21st Army to take Nanning is one of the least reported campaigns of the Sino-Japanese war. The primary Japanese force was the 5th Division, which included some Mountain Artillery units. Other Army units came from Taiwan, and months later elements of the 18th Division. I have one citation that 70 ships were involved in the Novermber 11th -16th operations. Most of these would have been army transports for the 5th Division. Are there any records affecting the 5th Division for this time frame. Obviously I was very wrong that the 28th Division took part. Many thanks for clearing that up.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”