Major-General SATAKE Kanichirō

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Steen Ammentorp

Major-General SATAKE Kanichirō

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 23 Aug 2014, 10:32

Hi,

I need help with getting the correct kanji for SATAKE Kanichirō (さたけ かんいちろう) if this is the correct name? The hiragana comes from the Sakurataro DB, which gives the kanji as 佐竹僴一郎. The http://admiral3166.ddo.jp/31page however gives the kanji as 佐竹潤一郎 while the book by Fukukawa Hideki 日本陸軍将官辞典 (p.346) has it as 佐竹歎一郎. So which is correct? If you can speak of correct? I am beginning to fear that they all may be correct if all the middle kanjis can be read as Kan :?
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

hisashi

Re: Major-General SATAKE Kanichirō

Post by hisashi » 23 Aug 2014, 16:19

僴 seems correct. Japanese government restricted characters usable in given name since 1951, but 僴 was not in them. It is unlikely that anybody use this character for his article as a typo. 潤 is jun and 歎 is tan, unlikely read as kan. But... as an anecdote, Japanese government do not regulate reading of each character for any citizen's given name. if a boy's birth was noticed and was named as 一郎, but the dad filled in the read as 'ferudinando', the baby would be called as Ferudinando. Authority cannot turn it down unless they have very apparent reason.

In 1993 a pair of parents named their baby 悪魔 (akuma=Devil) but courageous city office clerks turned it down. Parents insisted it was a cool dark name, but city office held on saying that so much trouble and harassment he would suffer was well foreseeable. The court judged city office was right. Parents chose another name for him.

Steen Ammentorp

Re: Major-General SATAKE Kanichirō

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 23 Aug 2014, 17:26

Thank you very much. I appreciate the effort.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”