Hirohito

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Japanx

Re: Hirohito

Post by Japanx » 02 Sep 2014, 18:51

Here they are in the 1960 with their grandson Prince Naruhito and his parents, the Crown Prince Akihito and his wife the Crown Princess Michiko.
77.jpg
Closer
71.jpg

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 03 Sep 2014, 01:47

When requesting assistance in identifying photographs it always helps to provide as much information as possible. For example, what is the source of the photo? I discussed the photo with an expert on autographs. He explained that autographed photos of Hirohito can basically be divided into four periods: Early life and regency (1912-1926); early reign (1926-1945); occupation (1945-1952); and later reign (1952-1989). Autographed photos of Hirohito from the latter period appear to be most common, at least from the standpoint of availability on the autograph market. Photos from this period include presentations to foreign heads of state and government, foreign diplomats, influential Japanese, foreigners who made significant contributions to Japan, and Hirohito's personal friends in the international marine biology community. Autographed photos from the occupation era are probably scarcest since Japan was not able to establish formal diplomatic relations until the San Francisco peace treaty was signed in 1952. Clothing is always an important factor in dating photographs. While men's fashions in the late twentieth century were fairly constant, not so with women's fashions. While one kimono looks pretty much the same as another to western eyes, there are many differences and many changes in styles over the years. This is arcane knowledge but someone at the Japan Textile Institute may be able to provide you with dating clues based on observation of the kimono worn by Empress Nagako. Personal documents signed by Hirohito are incredibly rare. Official documents signed by him are seen occasionally. Recently, a document concerning ambassadorial accreditation signed by Hirohito and Prime Minister Sato and bearing the imperial seal sold at auction for $45,000.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 03 Sep 2014, 08:39

Looks like they might be early to mid 40s?

Japanx

Post by Japanx » 03 Sep 2014, 14:28

Ian Sayer wrote:Looks like they might be early to mid 40s?
Personally I still think that they came from the 50s.

As for the early 1940s...

Let`s not forget that in 1936 they looked like that
Showa_family_1936.jpg
I think late 40s is more realistic possibility.

Japanx

Post by Japanx » 03 Sep 2014, 14:47

Wellgunde wrote: Personal documents signed by Hirohito are incredibly rare.
They are rare, but not incredibly.
I have quite a few personal documents for higher classes of different japanese orders (personally signed by Emperors) in my collection.

Like this doc for 1st class sacred treasure order
1 (2).jpg
60.jpg
issued on May 17, 1944 to general Yamada Seiichi
More info about him here http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/Y/a/Yamada_Seiichi.htm

Wellgunde wrote: ... sold at auction for $45,000.
Act of madness 8O

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”