Lieutenant-General SEKI Genroku

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Steen Ammentorp

Lieutenant-General SEKI Genroku

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 11 Sep 2014, 21:24

Regarding Lieutenant-General SEKI Genroku (関 原六) then two things puzzles me.

Firstly regarding the reading of his name. Both the Sakurataro site (http://sakurataro.org/db/関原六) and the Japanese wiki (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/関原六) gives the name in hiragana as せき げんろく (SEKI Genroku), however this site http://admiral3166.ddo.jp/31page/a/px22.htm#l034 gives the name in hiragana as せき はらろく(SEKI Hararoku). Any opinions on which might be correct? Source in English including Richard Fuller’s Shokan has it as SEKI Genroku.

Secondly regarding his date of death then the Japanese wiki article gives the date of the death as 13th April 1944, and while the Sakurataro entry doesn't give a date of death then the entry on 44th Division gives the following 関 原六 中将:昭和19年4月6日 - 昭和19年4月13日没 on it commanders, and while I understand that the character 没 doesn't necessarily means that he died at least it is the same date. The entry on him does however gives information on him at later dates. The page http://admiral3166.ddo.jp/31page/a/px22.htm#l034 gives the date of death as 12th April 1945, though again understanding that the character 歿 may not mean death. The 12th of April 1945 is however also the date given by Fukukawa Hideki in 日本陸軍将官辞典. Any opinions on this? I am concerned that there may be a typo somewhere as the dates are within on year and one day.

Thank you in advance.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Piegziu

Re: Lieutenant-General SEKI Genroku

Post by Piegziu » 11 Sep 2014, 23:35

Fast answer on the first question, because I have to go sleep:
関原六
It's Seki Genroku. Both Kanji in his name should have KUN reading.

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 12 Sep 2014, 01:43

Piegziu wrote:Fast answer on the first question, because I have to go sleep:
関原六
It's Seki Genroku. Both Kanji in his name should have KUN reading.

As I explained several times in various threads here, the reading of Japanese name comes from the parents' preference. Not from rule. In this case, if you ask 100 Japaneses what reading is likely for 原六, 100 would reply Genroku. But if his parents want his name to be Hararoku, he became Hararoku.

So the most rigorous answer to this question is, HEAVEN KNOWS. It is just the reason I dislike to list Japanese Figures by readings, without Kanji. If one person makes a typo, guesswork or prejudice, it generates ever-lasting questions 'which is correct'.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 12 Sep 2014, 07:52

@ Hisashi

Please forgive me for asking these questions about the Japanese names. It is not that I do not understand the problems about the readings of the names, and that you will not get the correct reading with certainty without having a personal document giving it, i.e. from the parents. However, in order to make information on Japanese generals accessible in English it is much preferable to have a Romanji version of the name rather than just in Kanji. So I am only trying to get the most likely reading of the names by those who has better understanding and knowledge of the Japanese language and names than I, which is why I much appreciate your input.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 12 Sep 2014, 08:49

Steen, as a staff I must keep a uniformity in dealing with similar posts and it is no your fault that I am tired of similar 'please read Japanese VIP's names' postings, because most of them have not been yours.

Returning to Seki's fate, I found a formal record dated as 1 Aug 1944, moving him to reserve. Immediately another document for award to him for long service was dealt with. But notably, His move to reserve was announced without any present appointment.

On the other hand, when LtGen Kawanami Mitsu(maybe) was appointed as CO 44th Div. in 8 Jul 1944, nobody was dismissed from CO 44th Div. It suggests CO had been vacant. Instead, LtGen Takano Naomitsu moved from personnel department director 44th Div. to CO 4th Home division.

44th division was originally reorganized troop from 4th home division. Home division was recruiting and training personnels for front troops raised from that area but In Apr 1944 IJA reformed them for defense divisions of Japan, with their trainees and trainers. And again they established home divisions newly, perhaps so that newly raised divisions (44th etc.) could be moved anywhere in Japan.

It is diffecult to imagine a staff of division would be promoted to LtGen in normal situation, because the CO was at most LtGen Takano became LtGen in Jun 1944. So I estimate Seki was dead in Apr 1944 after he took the command and thereafter Takano served as an acting CO. In Jul 1944 at last Kawanami came to take 44th over and Takano led 4th home division. I don't know why IJA postponed procedures from Seki's death to August.

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 12 Sep 2014, 18:52

Hi Hisashi,

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking your time looking in to it. While I understand that no definitive answer may be found on his date of death, one thing puzzles me – the award for long ser-vice. Would this normally be award if the person were dead? Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 13 Sep 2014, 00:48

I would be wary of Fuller. His books appear to be based entirely on secondary sources in English. In any case, you are far ahead of him considering your ownership of several excellent Japanese biographical works. The confusion with regard to Japanese given names is a thorny one. It was a recognized problem during World War II and was one of the topics at several U.S. intelligence coordination conferences. U.S. (and British) translators side stepped the issue by providing their best "guess" in the translation but also including the kanji in a footnote. If you are faced with choosing between two or more conflicting Japanese readings I would go with the majority. If it's a choice between only two, then apply Occam's razor and select the translation which is the simplest (or most common usage). This is a case where you may not be entirely correct but you can't be entirely wrong either. Plus, you can always provide an explanatory note somewhere on your general's individual page.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”