Japanese Tank Aces

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Pacific Antiquarian

Japanese Tank Aces

Post by Pacific Antiquarian » 12 Sep 2014, 08:04

Hello,

While German tank aces are relatively well known, I was wondering who, or if there were any Japanese tank aces (either commanders or gunners). Info on types of tanks they used and which types of tanks they knocked out, and any relevant pictures. A bit of an esoteric subject I know, but I thought this would be the place to go. I would think there would be some in Luzon, Burma or Nomonhan, if not other places.

Thank you for any help received.

Akira Takizawa

Re: Japanese Tank Aces

Post by Akira Takizawa » 12 Sep 2014, 09:09

There was no tank ace like German in the Japanese, because tank vs tank combats were few in the China and Pacific War. As far as I know, the highest score of Japanese tanker was one or two.

Taki

Pacific Antiquarian

Post by Pacific Antiquarian » 13 Sep 2014, 07:17

Ok, thank you for your time Mr. Takizawa.

Stephen_Rynerson

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 13 Sep 2014, 13:36

A Google search for "Japanese tank ace" turns up this forum post about a "Shin Nakazawa" with seven kills, but the person posting about it doesn't identify the source: http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/th ... +Nakazawa-

Pacific Antiquarian

Post by Pacific Antiquarian » 14 Sep 2014, 08:25

Interesting,

Unfortunately that post is seven years old, and they won't let new people register, so I can't query for a source.

I also ran across the name "Nishizumi Kojiro" at the world of tanks forum http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php ... herosaces/

It also had this picture Image

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Post by YC Chen » 19 Sep 2014, 17:20

Hello,

Yes the officer shown in the photo is the heroic Japanese tank commander 西住小次郎, participated in the invasion of Shanghai, Nanking and finally KIA in Northern Kiangsu Province. Also shown in the picture is his Type 89 tank that received numerous hits.

He was very famous in Japan and regarded as a "military god". Nevertheless, he is not a "tank ace" by your definition because, as mentioned before, there were few tank vs tank battle in China.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”