Requisitioned ships

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Leo Niehorster

Requisitioned ships

Post by Leo Niehorster » 16 Dec 2014, 19:25

Greetings,
Could some kind soul please explain the difference (if any) between the Japanese government's requisitioned ships organization(s)
   "Sempaku-Uneikai" (Ship Operation Corporation)
   "Teikoku Senpaku Kaisha" (Imperial Steamship Company)
(I found the Japanese and English translations on the internet, so they could be off. )

And possibly a little backgound?

Thank you
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Wellgunde

Re: Requisitioned ships

Post by Wellgunde » 17 Dec 2014, 00:06

The Senpaku Uneikai (Shipping Control Office or Shipping Control Board) was a governmental office (nominally under the Transportation Ministry) formed in 1942 for the wartime control of all merchant ships over 100 gross tons. Basically, it bare chartered all Japanese merchant ships and thus became the de facto employer of all Japanese merchant seamen. It allocated shipping between strictly military needs and other shipping requirements. In the early years of the occupation, it performed the same functions for SCAP primarily operating repatriation ships.

The Teikoku Senpaku Kabushiki Kaisha (Imperial Steamship Corporation or Company) was a Japanese government owned steamship line. During the war it "requisitioned" under an obscure article of international maritime law a number of foreign merchant ships. The exact relationship between TSKK and the Uneikai is unclear since the government already owned the ships. Presumably the TSKK functioned as just another steamship company under the Uneikai.

This is about all I know on this topic - not my area of expertise.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Leo Niehorster

Re: Requisitioned ships

Post by Leo Niehorster » 17 Dec 2014, 12:12

Thank you for you response.
Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”