Japanese Dadao

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
kingfish724

Japanese Dadao

Post by kingfish724 » 20 Jul 2015, 16:20

I have a Japanese Dadao and wanted to inquire with you folks on any thoughts you had about it. I dont know much about this as it was handed down to me from and older relative. I wanted to gain some knowledge of it. This has been in my family for many years and is a really solid two hand looking weapon. I was also wondering why the handle is so much longer than most of what you can find in pictures. I appreciate your time!
Attachments
Japanese Dadao.jpg
Dadao
Japanese Dadao.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 811 times

Wellgunde

Re: Japanese Dadao

Post by Wellgunde » 20 Jul 2015, 17:30

Dadao is a Chinese word meaning literally, big knife. This is a Chinese and not a Japanese weapon. The hilt is long to allow for greater power when either chopping, slicing or thrusting. The dadao was probably developed in the 16th century to bridge the gap between swords and pole arms. During World War II, the Chinese army fielded a number of "big sword" units armed primarily with the dadao.

Does your sword have any identifying marks? What are the dimensions?
γνώθι σαυτόν

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 20 Jul 2015, 19:21

In 16th century, the development of tactics in Japan was much similar to that in Europe. Shorter poll weapons or longer swords, formidable at hands of masters, scored poor in front of trained long pike troops and gunners, often 'rank and file' mercenaries. Thereafter, weapons of this size disappeared from Japanese military.

Pike used by Duchy of Milan outreached Swiss halberd;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Arbedo

A ROC Taiwan firm produces both Japanese and Chinese style weapons. Their catalog looks helpful.
http://www.hanweimetal.com/index.php

Demonstrations;

kingfish724

Post by kingfish724 » 23 Jul 2015, 20:34

Hi It doenst have any marking on it. The sword’s overall length is 48 inches with a blade length 23 1/2 inches and is 3 inches wide. The blade is a 1/4 inches thick at the guard.

Do you know the value of this sword? I would like to sell it is anyone interested in it?

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 24 Jul 2015, 04:43

Sorry, I have no idea what your sword might be worth. Depending on age and several other factors it might be worth a lot or it might be worth practically nothing. You need to Google around and find a dealer in antique swords who can help you.
γνώθι σαυτόν

kingfish724

Post by kingfish724 » 24 Jul 2015, 16:10

Thanks for the info. I appreacite it!

Phaing

Post by Phaing » 24 Jul 2015, 20:54

hisashi wrote:In 16th century, the development of tactics in Japan was much similar to that in Europe. Shorter poll weapons or longer swords, formidable at hands of masters, scored poor in front of trained long pike troops and gunners, often 'rank and file' mercenaries. Thereafter, weapons of this size disappeared from Japanese military.
All of the above is perfectly accurate, its nice to see someone with a well-rounded store of information posting here.

However, even if the OP didn't specifically say so, this is a 1895-45 subject, and I am wondering how such a relic would have been used in that era.

My theory is, not at the front lines, but in garrisons. In particular, those who's job it was to keep the civilian population under control. The KMT were not particularly nice people and made a lot of onerous demands on their people. The Communists pretended to be better for as long as it suited them to be that way, but the gloves started to come off even before 1949. And then there were the collaborationist units in China working for the IJA.

My point is, such a weapon might have been useful in subduing a restive civilian population, if they were as thoroughly disarmed the Chinese have been through their history. And you know, if I met someone carrying one of those on a city street, I'd be pretty intimidated.

My question is, could that weapon have been used in just that way during WW2?
Would that have been a common thing in that era?

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 25 Jul 2015, 02:44

γνώθι σαυτόν

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 25 Jul 2015, 03:40

>My question is, could that weapon have been used in just that way during WW2?
>Would that have been a common thing in that era?

I believe no. At a glance Japanese felt it was China-origin, and remember we Asians look alike. Those who have this weapon in Japanese uniform, looks like a Chinese who stole his uniform and rely on the weapon he was used to.

Phaing

Post by Phaing » 26 Jul 2015, 18:46

Wellgunde wrote:More about big sword units here: http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 1&t=102055
Thanks, but it does look as if these units died out by the 1940s.
hisashi wrote: I believe no. At a glance Japanese felt it was China-origin, and remember we Asians look alike. Those who have this weapon in Japanese uniform, looks like a Chinese who stole his uniform and rely on the weapon he was used to.
Yeah, tell me about it...

But I wasn't trying to tag the users of the weapon as Japanese. I was asking if these Big Sword and other units with old weapons were relegated to things like crowd-control in the rear areas. If so, I'm thinking that they could have been active to 1945, maybe longer.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”