Saburo Miyamoto biography

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
antariksa

Saburo Miyamoto biography

Post by antariksa » 11 May 2016, 12:56

I'm currently studying Japanese war artists, and wondering if anyone could share sources (in English) on Saburo Miyamoto's biography.

Balrog

Re: Saburo Miyamoto biography

Post by Balrog » 25 Jun 2016, 10:51

I have a book on Japanese war artists involved in propaganda work in Manchukuo called Glorify The Empireby Annika A. Culver. Saburo Miyamoto doesn't appear to be covered in that book, but you still might find some interesting information.

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 29 Jun 2016, 19:39

Miyamoto Saburo (宮本三郎)
Noted Japanese painter, magazine and newspaper illustrator, muralist, postage stamp designer, and salon painter.
Wife Fumie, one daughter, Mineko, married to English scholar Miyamoto Yokichi.
Born may 23, 1905 in Komatsu City (formerly Suesabi Village), Nomi Area, Ishikawa Prefecture; died October 13, 1974 in Tokyo
-------
1922 – Studied painting under Fujishima Takeji in Tokyo at the Kawabata Painting School
1927 – First prize at the Nikai exhibition with “White Vase of Flowers.”
1934 – Opened first one man exhibition
1936 – Nominated for membership in the Nikakai Art Exhibition organization.
1940 – Commissioned, along with Koiso Ryohei, by the Imperial Japanese Army to produce propaganda/morale pieces; dispatched to China.
1943 – His painting, “Yamashita and Percival Commander’s Conference View” exhibited at the Imperial Art Academy winning first prize. The same year he won the Asahi Prize for his painting, “Navy Paratroopers at Manado.”
1946 – Appointed lecturer at the Kanazawa Arts and Crafts College.
1947 – Formed the “Second Era Board” with eight other prominent artists.
1955 – Appointed as a part time lecturer at the Tokyo Education University.
1966 – Became a member of the Academy of Arts.
1971 – Professor Emeritus, Kanazawa College of Art.
----------
If you are just interested in pictures, search 宮本三郎 at Amazon.jp. There are a number of books about him.
γνώθι σαυτόν

ijnfleetadmiral

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 30 Jun 2016, 21:41

Here's the Yamashita / Percival painting...very nice work indeed!
Attachments
s0016013.jpg
s0016013.jpg (49.2 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

antariksa

Post by antariksa » 12 Jul 2016, 12:21

Balrog wrote:I have a book on Japanese war artists involved in propaganda work in Manchukuo called Glorify The Empireby Annika A. Culver. Saburo Miyamoto doesn't appear to be covered in that book, but you still might find some interesting information.
Noted. I'll try to find it! Thanks

antariksa

Post by antariksa » 12 Jul 2016, 12:25

Wellgunde wrote:Miyamoto Saburo (宮本三郎)
Noted Japanese painter, magazine and newspaper illustrator, muralist, postage stamp designer, and salon painter.
Wife Fumie, one daughter, Mineko, married to English scholar Miyamoto Yokichi.
Born may 23, 1905 in Komatsu City (formerly Suesabi Village), Nomi Area, Ishikawa Prefecture; died October 13, 1974 in Tokyo
-------
1922 – Studied painting under Fujishima Takeji in Tokyo at the Kawabata Painting School
1927 – First prize at the Nikai exhibition with “White Vase of Flowers.”
1934 – Opened first one man exhibition
1936 – Nominated for membership in the Nikakai Art Exhibition organization.
1940 – Commissioned, along with Koiso Ryohei, by the Imperial Japanese Army to produce propaganda/morale pieces; dispatched to China.
1943 – His painting, “Yamashita and Percival Commander’s Conference View” exhibited at the Imperial Art Academy winning first prize. The same year he won the Asahi Prize for his painting, “Navy Paratroopers at Manado.”
1946 – Appointed lecturer at the Kanazawa Arts and Crafts College.
1947 – Formed the “Second Era Board” with eight other prominent artists.
1955 – Appointed as a part time lecturer at the Tokyo Education University.
1966 – Became a member of the Academy of Arts.
1971 – Professor Emeritus, Kanazawa College of Art.
----------
If you are just interested in pictures, search 宮本三郎 at Amazon.jp. There are a number of books about him.
Thanks!
I'm also seeking information about his journey to Southeast Asia in 1942-1944 (?)

antariksa

Post by antariksa » 12 Jul 2016, 12:26

ijnfleetadmiral wrote:Here's the Yamashita / Percival painting...very nice work indeed!
Yes, I'm familiar with this famous work. Thanks anyway.

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 14 Jul 2016, 13:07

antariksa wrote:I'm also seeking information about his journey to Southeast Asia in 1942-1944 (?)
There is nothing in either the Japanese or English sources I have been able to find which indicate that Miyamoto was or was not in Southeast Asia at any time. The surrender painting cannot be used as evidence as it appears to be based on photographs of the event. Miyamoto does not appear in any photos taken at that time or place. Unfortunately, if you wish for more detailed biographical information on Miyamoto you are going to have to buy one of the Japanese language books about him and have the relevant portions translated.
γνώθι σαυτόν

Kavaroots808

Post by Kavaroots808 » 07 Oct 2017, 00:03

I have aquired sketch which appears to be original and is stamped and signed by saburo. Any information about the artist would be greatly appreciated

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”