Comdesdiv casualties and Survivors

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
IANHULKMCLEOD

Comdesdiv casualties and Survivors

Post by IANHULKMCLEOD » 14 May 2016, 17:02

Hi Everyone,
Is there a list of casualties and Survivors for each ship for example I have the following courtesy of others
DESDIV 31
CO Captain Kagawa Kiyoto, MC Lt Miwa Hiroshi and Ltjg Hirakuni Tadashi dying in the Onami sinking presumed?
DESDIV 2
CO Captain Tachibana Masao surviving Murasame sinking though his staff?
DESDIV 4
CO Captain Sugiura Kaju surviving Kawakaze sinking though his Chief of staff was lost and his divisional MC and Paymaster Ltjg Yokoto Akio fates?
Any assistance would be appreciated and best regards Ian

ijnfleetadmiral

Re: Comdesdiv casualties and Survivors

Post by ijnfleetadmiral » 14 May 2016, 17:21

To my knowledge, DesDivs had Commanders and three main staff positions: Chief Engineer, Surgeon, and Paymaster. Here's what I have for the three Divisions you asked about:

DesDiv 2
CAPT Tachibana Masao (45) survived, as did Surgeon (S) LT SUGIURA Yoshio. Unknown about the other positions.

DesDiv 4
CAPT SUGIURA Kaju (46) survived, but unknown about any Staff positions. I do, however, have (P) LTJG YOKOO Akio as being posted Paymaster on 15 May 1943, but I don't have a relief date for him or do I know if he survived the war.

DesDiv 31
CAPT (RADM post.) KAGAWA Kiyota (46) was KIA; I have (S) LT MIWA Hiroshi as posted Surgeon on 20 February 1943 and (P) LTJG HIRAKUNI Tadashi as posted Paymaster on 1 May 1943, and seeing as how ONAMI was sunk with all hands, if they were still in these positions on 24 November 1943, then they were KIA.
MSG, MS State Guard (Ret.) - First Always!

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”