Manchukuo medal (大満州国建国功労章) question?

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Hama

Manchukuo medal (大満州国建国功労章) question?

Post by Hama » 15 Sep 2016, 16:23

I've got a Manchukuo National Foundation Medal (大満州国建国功労章) and I know it was awarded in 1933 to commemorate the foundation of Manchukuo the previous year. But I have a few questions about it:

First, I was wondering does anyone know where they were manufactured? Were they made in Japan or Manchukuo?

Also I have seen another guy with this medal who also had papers that showed his was awarded to a Japanese soldier. Does anyone know who exactly was eligible to receive 大満州国建国功労章? Was it primarily for Japanese who had worked to set up the state, or was it also awarded to some Chinese, Manchu, or other groups who had contributed to the nation?

Finally, are there any documents surviving or other sources that show at least some names of people who received this medal?

shidan

Re: Manchukuo medal (大満州国建国功労章) question?

Post by shidan » 19 Sep 2016, 06:19

Hello Hama,

If you don't get your answer here, you might want to check Richard Catalano's site and look around:

http://www.imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com/store1.html

Rich is quite knowledgeable when it comes to medals and awards and has a lot of good information on his site.

Good luck!

Tom

Hama

Re: Manchukuo medal (大満州国建国功労章) question?

Post by Hama » 19 Sep 2016, 16:35

Thanks shidan. I might drop him a message.

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”