Japanese flamethrowers

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Peter H

Japanese flamethrowers

Post by Peter H » 11 Feb 2006, 15:40

Of interest:

http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt/ ... pe-93.html

http://www3.plala.or.jp/takihome/flame.htm

http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/postcards/08.jpg

Are their any accounts of their use against Allied troops in Burma,the SWP after early 1942?

The only reference I can find is one encountered at Milne Bay in August 1942.

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 14 Feb 2006, 06:11

A well-researched book on American incendiary warfare, and good for its size, listing many technical primary sources:

Mountcastle, John W. Flame On! US Incendiary Weapons, 1918-1945. Shippensburg, Pennsylvania: White Mane Books, 1999. 193 pgs.

Naturally the author also covers British, German, and Japanese flame weapons in both World Wars, whether waged from the air or on the ground. He cites the following examples of Japanese flame attacks after 1942:

"...there had been no documented reports of (Japanese flamethrower use) against Americans (in the Solomons campaign).

"(But) in December 1943, the Japanese again attempted to kill American troops with flame throwers. Fighting fire with fire, the Japanese attacked a patrol of Americans armed with M1A1 flamethrowers. The leader of the American group was the CWS officer, Captain (James F.) Olds. He recorded this experience in an article which appeared in the CWS Bulletin. In his words:

'Suddenly, two Jap flamegunners appeared out of the underbrush ... Standing upright and with no hesitation, the Japs fired from their flanking position before we had a chance to move. A stream of oil covered my head and right shoulder and doused Kearns' left side. Fortunately, the Jap flame fuel failed to ignite. Before the Japs could get in a second burst they were cut down.'

"The unreliability of the Japanese weapons and their increasing difficulty in resupplying isolated garrisons probably helped prevent any extensive use of flamethrowers by the Japanese."

Mountcastle cites Olds as an aggressive Chemical Warfare Service officer who had promoted the flamethrower among US infantrymen on New Georgia. Besides the action described above, Olds himself led a flame assault against a fortified Japanese position on 26 Jul 43. Some troops had distrusted the M1 series flamethrower as unreliable until improved through this time.

What seems especially interesting is that Olds describes US and Japanese flame troops in the same action, although the latter failed and the former did not engage.

In the footnotes are two sources for the above, unclear where on file but possibly those of US National Archives, Record Group 175, Records of the Chief, Chemical Warfare Service:

1st MarDiv Operations Report Guadalcanal, concerning ten Japanese portable flamethrowers captured after the battle on the Tenaru River, Aug 21, 1942. CWS 314.7 File. Reports on Japanese flamethrowers used on Wake Island in December 1941 did not surface until after the war.

James F. Olds Jr., "Early Bougainville Experiments", Chemical Warfare Bulletin vol 30 no 4 (Aug-Sep-Oct 44). On a few occasions, Japanese troops were able to use flame successfully against US positions as was the case on 19 Jan 45 in the Philippines. Japanese infiltrators attacked Battery A, 147th FA on Luzon and burned five American troops with flamethrowers; see Chemical Intelligence Report, HQ 158th Reg'tl Combat Team, 19 Jan 45, 6th Army Cml. Records. Copy in CWS 314.7 File HC-EA APG. [note: Aberdeen Proving Ground?]

Modern flame weapons on the ground have kept the "fearfulness" that the Germans meant for them in WW1. But they have largely been used by assault troops on the offensive, and I can't think of any times where they were used in defensive positions. The nearest cases might be improvised ones like an American flame barrier at the Ardennes in 1944. Also one supposedly planned by the Japanese on the beach of Chichi Jima in the Bonin Islands, had the Americans landed there after Iwo Jima.

Mountcastle points out how unreliable early versions were of both Japanese and US flamethrowers, which only the Americans were able to fix. But he also points out how their German use also declined as they went to the defensive.

From his bibliography and notes, the author documents a wealth of technical and operational detail of this kind of ordnance which may be less covered than others.

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 15 Feb 2006, 15:18

Thanks for the source Sewer King!

Eric Hammel's book Munda Trail,on the New Georgia campaign also has this to say(page 178):
...the Japanese had had flamethrowers for some time,but the first recorded use had been against Marine tanks on July 18,1943.
This photo from the Bataan battles of 1942 is fairly well known.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... bataan.jpg

tom!

Post by tom! » 15 Feb 2006, 21:37

Hi.

Japan developed three types of flamethrowers during the thirties.

First there was the type 93 flamethrower:

Nozzle and shaft of this weapon were also mounted in the armoured engineer vehicle SS. These were used in China in the second sino-japanese war.

Engineer units received an enlarged version of the type 93 with a larger flame liquid tank and a separate pressure gas bottle:

The "type 93 modified" was the type 100 flamethrower with a different shaft and nozzle and also more protection to the backpack:

pics from my website

Yours

tom! :wink:

E Rogers

Flamethrower captured at Milne Bay

Post by E Rogers » 18 Feb 2006, 04:17

Here is a drawing of the flamethrower captured at Milne Bay.

E Rogers
Attachments
Flamethrower_MilneBay_AWM.jpg
Flamethrower_MilneBay_AWM.jpg (63.09 KiB) Viewed 5027 times

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 18 Feb 2006, 21:55

Please excuse this question if it may seem idiotic, but how easy was it to rupture one of these tanks? Once ruptured would the tanks always explode into flame or was it possible for the soldier to get rid of the apparatus before being burned severely?

Regards,

Chris

Imad

Post by Imad » 02 Mar 2006, 22:50

waldorf wrote:Please excuse this question if it may seem idiotic, but how easy was it to rupture one of these tanks? Once ruptured would the tanks always explode into flame or was it possible for the soldier to get rid of the apparatus before being burned severely?

Regards,

Chris
I have read at least one first hand account of British troops deliberately aiming at the fuel tank to turn it's bearer into a human torch. IIRC this was in Burma and psychological warfare was one of the main reasons. The Japanese, if Allied accounts are to be believed, had almost a supernatural dread of fire, and this was exploited to demoralize them quite often in the war. If a .303 Lee Enfield round could achieve this then I would say the fuel tanks were easily rupturable. However, I am not aware of American or Australian troops using this tactic. If they did, please enlighten me someone.
Imad

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 03 Mar 2006, 04:51

Bob Lembke,our resident WW1 flammenwerfer expert here has stated that out of the hundreds of flame attacks in 1915-18 " I have only found two believable mentions of German FW "exploding" in WW I, and possibly a third."

I would suggest the same holds for WW2 flamethrowers---even if ruptured the fuel was difficult to ignite.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » 06 Mar 2006, 20:10

Bob Lembke,our resident WW1 flammenwerfer expert here has stated that out of the hundreds of flame attacks in 1915-18 " I have only found two believable mentions of German FW "exploding" in WW I, and possibly a third."

I would suggest the same holds for WW2 flamethrowers---even if ruptured the fuel was difficult to ignite.
Thank you Peter and Bob for clearing up this question for me.

Chris

Renner aus Schlesien

Post by Renner aus Schlesien » 06 Mar 2006, 23:17

waldorf wrote:Please excuse this question if it may seem idiotic, but how easy was it to rupture one of these tanks? Once ruptured would the tanks always explode into flame or was it possible for the soldier to get rid of the apparatus before being burned severely?

Regards,

Chris
I think it would be quite difficult to ignite a flamethower tank with a bullet. There would have to be a source to ignite the fuel and it seems a bullet would not be sufficient. It would be like shooting a car's gas tank...it would only cause a leak. As was seen in the post above about the American flamethrowers encountering some Japanese flamethowers... when the Japanese flames failed to ignite, the Americans were only covered in fuel which did not burn them.

Erik

Peter H

Re: Japanese flamethrowers

Post by Peter H » 19 Oct 2010, 09:32

Assorted Flamethrower photos already posted here.
Attachments
ft1.jpg
ft1.jpg (102.04 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
ft1a.jpg
ft1a.jpg (123.42 KiB) Viewed 3367 times

Peter H

Re: Japanese flamethrowers

Post by Peter H » 19 Oct 2010, 09:33

More
Attachments
ft2.jpg
ft2.jpg (92.06 KiB) Viewed 3367 times