Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.

What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 24 Oct 2010 13:12

Hello!
What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?
for the 1st year...?
for the 2nd year...?
for the 3rd year...?
for the 4th year...?
Thanks!
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: The Nazi Four Year Plan

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 19 Feb 2011 03:42

nebelwerferXXX wrote:Hello!
What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?
for the 1st year...?
for the 2nd year...?
for the 3rd year...?
for the 4th year...?
Thanks!


Since no one have tried to answer my questions, Forgive me, if I let myself to answer it. Not in order:

year 1 = Completion of the 'Z-Plan' ships
year 2 = Creation of 36 panzer divisions (7,992 Panzer III tanks), 1,000-ton 'land monitor' & 100-ton 'super heavy tanks'
year 3 = Amerika-bomber and Ural-bomber Projects to be implemented
year 4 = All Hitler's Secret Sciences comes into reality

My listings are only my personal view points. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: The Nazi Four Year Plan

Postby mescal on 24 Feb 2011 13:21

You're joking, aren't you ??

Either this or you're so wrong on so many levels I do not even knwo where to begin....

Well, let's try
First, let's be factual ...the four year plan dated from 1936... hence there cannot be completions of ships scheduled by a 1939 program or procurement of planes or tankes not even designed by that date
Second, there is not necessarily 'intermediate' yearly objectives, but a global target.
Third the four year plan was not merely an ammunition procurement plan.

Overall, the plan had a very global purpose.
It was to prepare Germany for war. That is to create the conditions under which Germany could produce huge amounts of weapons and ammunition to sustain a global war.
Remember that in the 30's Germany's economy had been gutted first by the Versailles Treaty and then by the crisis.

There is much much more to say, but I would suggest you to do some reading - for example the posts in this thread.
Else, Tooze's Wages of Destruction has many good pages on this 4-year plan topic.
Olivier
User avatar
mescal
Member
France
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: 30 Mar 2008 14:46
Location: France, EUR

Re: The Nazi Four Year Plan

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 25 Feb 2011 01:24

No! I'm not joking...I'm an avid fan of The Nazi Four Year Plan...
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: The Nazi Four Year Plan

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 08 Apr 2011 10:15

nebelwerferXXX wrote:Hello!
What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?
for the 1st year...?
for the 2nd year...?
for the 3rd year...?
for the 4th year...?
Thanks!


The Nazi Four Year Plan was mentioned in the HBO movie 'Conspiracy'
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Prepare Germany for war

Postby Dave Bender on 13 Apr 2011 00:57

8O
Prior to 1934 German defense spending was less then 1% of GDP. 1936 Germany couldn't even defend itself against an attack by France or Poland. And you think they were preparing for war?
Dave Bender
Member
United States
 
Posts: 3533
Joined: 24 Apr 2006 21:21
Location: Michigan U.S.A.

Re: The Nazi Four Year Plan

Postby Paul Lakowski on 13 Apr 2011 02:58

mescal wrote:You're joking, aren't you ??

Either this or you're so wrong on so many levels I do not even knwo where to begin....

Well, let's try
First, let's be factual ...the four year plan dated from 1936... hence there cannot be completions of ships scheduled by a 1939 program or procurement of planes or tankes not even designed by that date
Second, there is not necessarily 'intermediate' yearly objectives, but a global target.
Third the four year plan was not merely an ammunition procurement plan.

Overall, the plan had a very global purpose.
It was to prepare Germany for war. That is to create the conditions under which Germany could produce huge amounts of weapons and ammunition to sustain a global war.
Remember that in the 30's Germany's economy had been gutted first by the Versailles Treaty and then by the crisis.

There is much much more to say, but I would suggest you to do some reading - for example the posts in this thread.
Else, Tooze's Wages of Destruction has many good pages on this 4-year plan topic.



You need to read historians other than Tooze. He misses a number of key issues related to German rearmament. His focus is more on Hitler than Germany. Years before Hitler got in power their was a multi phased strategic programme in place to build towards a total war economy to support a mechanized armed forces supplied for a two year blitz across Europe. Hitler hijacked this process for his four year plan since he was unwilling to wait until the mid to late 1940s for the programme to be completed. Hitler substituted his version of Blitzkrieg for the German strategic vision , that relied on a limited war economy that he would use in conjunction with surprise alliances ; attacks and deception combined with German racial superiority to implement his racial vision of the world. Tooze is correct in recognizing that Munich further derailed German rearmament efforts when Hitler realized that America was the real enemy of Germany and only a world war would solve this and their was no point in putting this off any longer. From Hitler’s fevered mind this all added up to war , his way. That’s why many historians refer to WW-II as Hitler’s War.
Paul Lakowski
Member
Canada
 
Posts: 660
Joined: 30 Apr 2003 05:16
Location: Canada

Autobahn, Military bases & Fortifications

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 15 Apr 2011 09:35

In this period, from 1936, 1937, 1938 up to 1939, the key points of the plan were protectionism, a policy of economic independence and control of the labor market. The task of managing the four-year plan was placed in the hands of Hermann Goring.

1) The Economic Recovery favored chemical and heavy industry:
The production of iron ore rose from 443,000 tons in 1932 to 3,928,000 tons in 1939; synthetic rubber from 1,000 tons (1936) to 22,000 tons (1939); and aviation fuel from 43,000 tons (1936) to 302,000 tons (1939).

2) Labor force employment:
3) Public Works:

4) Re-armaments program:
This explains the marked increase in air strength (Junker-88 bombers in particular) and the navy. For Hitler, it was essential that the program be activated quickly so that the start of the war could be brought forward.

By the summer of 1939 Germany possessed modern weaponry and could mobilized 4,500,000 men within 12 hours.

The Land Forces...6 panzer, 4 mechanized, 4 light panzer, 86 infantry and 3 mountain divisions.

The Navy:
---2 battleships
---3 light battleships
---1 heavy cruiser and 6 light cruisers
---21 destroyers, 12 torpedo boats and 57 submarines
(but the program of naval construction was due to be completed in 1944).

The Luftwaffe, commanded by Goring comprised 302 STAFFELN (12-plane squadrons), with 2,370 crews and 2,364 operational aircraft (bombers, dive-bombers and fighters), plus a crack parachute corps. Aircraft production rose from 1,968 in 1934 to 5,112 in 1936 and 8,295 in 1939.
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Three great defeats !

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 27 Jan 2013 13:18

nebelwerferXXX wrote:By the summer of 1939 Germany possessed modern weaponry and could mobilized 4,500,000 men within 12 hours.

The Land Forces...6 panzer, 4 mechanized, 4 light panzer, 86 infantry and 3 mountain divisions.

The Navy:
---2 battleships
---3 light battleships
---1 heavy cruiser and 6 light cruisers
---21 destroyers, 12 torpedo boats and 57 submarines
(but the program of naval construction was due to be completed in 1944).

The Luftwaffe, commanded by Goring comprised 302 STAFFELN (12-plane squadrons), with 2,370 crews and 2,364 operational aircraft (bombers, dive-bombers and fighters), plus a crack parachute corps. Aircraft production rose from 1,968 in 1934 to 5,112 in 1936 and 8,295 in 1939.

By the time Hitler invaded Poland in Sept 1939. Hitler's War Machine comprised the following as posted from the above statistics. Hitler's War Machine suffered the first setback during the Battle of Britain (Luftwaffe). Second, was the Sinking of the battleship Bismarck (KM) and third, the defeat at the Battle of Moscow (Heer).
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?

Postby South on 27 Jan 2013 13:54

Good morning Nebelwerfer XXX,

May I ask you to confirm the numbers that in the summer of 1939 Germany could mobilize 4 million 500 thousand in twelve hours.

Thanks in advance.

Warm regards,

Bob
South
Financial supporter
United States
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: 06 Sep 2007 09:01
Location: USA

from the book.

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 27 Jan 2013 14:06

South wrote:Good morning Nebelwerfer XXX,

May I ask you to confirm the numbers that in the summer of 1939 Germany could mobilize 4 million 500 thousand in twelve hours.

Thanks in advance.

Warm regards,

Bob

It's from the book: A New Illustrated History of WORLD WAR II: Rare and Unseen Photographs 1939-1945 at page 30.
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

The Nazi Four Year Plan

Postby nebelwerferXXX on 16 Feb 2013 13:44

mescal wrote:You're joking, aren't you ? Either this or you're so wrong on so many levels I do not even know where to begin....

No ! I have so many references in my shelves...thanks !
nebelwerferXXX
Member
Philippines
 
Posts: 1209
Joined: 31 Jul 2010 06:39
Location: Philippines

Re: What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?

Postby steverodgers801 on 18 Feb 2013 05:36

The four year plan was essentially a copy of the Soviet 5 year plan in which the economy was to be planned out, objectives were set in order to re arm the country.
steverodgers801
Member
United States
 
Posts: 618
Joined: 13 Aug 2011 18:02

Re: What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?

Postby Takao on 20 Feb 2013 08:29

Regretfully nebelwerferXXX, you are joking...

Germany took great pains to avoid calling up so many men so quickly. Such a large mobilization depletes the overall combat effectiveness of the German armed forces, that is why Germany did her mobilization in "waves", thus avoiding taking in to many untrained "soldiers" at once.
User avatar
Takao
Member
United States
 
Posts: 2173
Joined: 10 Mar 2002 19:27
Location: Reading, Pa

Re: What's the objective of the Nazi Four-Year Plan?

Postby RJ55 on 20 Feb 2013 16:49

Takao wrote:Regretfully nebelwerferXXX, you are joking...

Germany took great pains to avoid calling up so many men so quickly. Such a large mobilization depletes the overall combat effectiveness of the German armed forces, that is why Germany did her mobilization in "waves", thus avoiding taking in to many untrained "soldiers" at once.

Indeed. They would take two active divisions, and make them three by posting an infantry regiment from each to form the third div. In that way, all three divs had 2/3 of their infantry as experienced troops, and only one third were recruits. Later in the war, they would use only a regiment/brigade as cadre for a new unit, and thus lost some fighting power. As the war went on and the casualties mounted, the training cycles were shortened, thus causing more casualties due to the lack of training.

Of all the late war units that were activated, only the 130 Panzer Lehr div was composed of 100% experienced troops, as they were drawn from training and demonstration staff and troops of the armoured schools. GD was only able to perform so well because exceptions were made and both troops and equipments of the former Watch regiment were under Hitler's eye. So the very best of everything went to GD. Which was a little strange because he didn't seem to put any great faith in the Wehrmacht in general, as he allowed Himmler to greatly expand the Waffen-SS which caused disruptions and shortages elsewhere.
User avatar
RJ55
Member
Australia
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Oct 2012 09:50

Next

Return to Economy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 1 guest