German vs. Allied war-making potential

Discussions on the economic history of the nations taking part in WW2, from the recovery after the depression until the economy at war.
Jon G.

Re: German vs. Allied war-making potential

Post by Jon G. » 17 Jul 2011, 16:39

The relevant thread about the U-Boat war can be found here:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 0&t=175281

Piotr Kapuscinski
Host - Allied sections

Re: German vs. Allied war-making potential

Post by Piotr Kapuscinski » 09 Nov 2013, 15:11

Coming back to issue from page 45:
About the stocks of passenger cars (WWII Archives foundation ):I noticed some thing strange:
december 1943 :292182
january 1944 :161905
This is a loss of 130277 (more than 40% !):is there any expnanation ?

(...)

This drop is for all vehicles categories at the same time in January 1944. Either it's because the dataset is incomplete and do not compute a part of the Wehrmacht's inventory, either it is due to harsh demotorization measures. I rather believe the first possibility. Fuel savings were strict but I dont think that 40% of the vehicles were cut at once. I rather believe that data from the East are lacking at this point.
The solution is much simpler. Erroneous reports / calculations.

It was a major and long-lasting mistake in reporting casualties. In January 1944 simply a major correction of previous mistakes took place. In reports about motor vehicles of Feldheer in January 1944 a note "Bestand berichtigt" appeared. Before that, they were reporting much more vehicles than they really had. That huge drop of vehicles between December 1943 / January 1944 was not real - it was only on paper. The real drop took place during previous months, but was not reported correctly until January 1944.
There are words which carry the presage of defeat. Defence is such a word. What is the result of an even victorious defence? The next attempt of imposing it to that weaker, defender. The attacker, despite temporary setback, feels the master of situation.

Return to “Economy”